Chuck B.

Default Carpet installation

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of
the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and
also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.
Red Neckerson

"Chuck B." wrote

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of the
things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and also
helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

First, you could watch for them to show up, then when they are installing
the carpet, make sure they put the fuzzy side up.........

willshak

Chuck B. wrote:

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some
of the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching
and also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

Unless you know how to install carpets, the best thing you could watch
is the TV.
Tony Hwang

Chuck B. wrote:

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of
the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and
also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

Hi,
Most important thing with carpet is GOOD underlay. Hope you took care of
that part. I always choose best underlay with less expensive carpet.
Not the other way around.
Tony

Chuck B.

Joe Fabeitz wrote:
Red apparently has had some experience dealing with other redneck
"professionals". "Fuzzy side up"...cute!
"Red Neckerson" wrote in message

"Chuck B." wrote

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of

the

things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and also
helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

First, you could watch for them to show up, then when they are installing
the carpet, make sure they put the fuzzy side up.........

I guess I will stop asking questions on this site. All I get are
childish replies. Good bye...
willshak

Chuck B. wrote:

Joe Fabeitz wrote:

Red apparently has had some experience dealing with other redneck
"professionals". "Fuzzy side up"...cute!
"Red Neckerson" wrote in message

"Chuck B." wrote

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are
some of

the

things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and
also
helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

First, you could watch for them to show up, then when they are
installing
the carpet, make sure they put the fuzzy side up.........

I guess I will stop asking questions on this site. All I get are
childish replies. Good bye...

Ask a silly question and you get a silly answer.
Unless you know how to install carpet, the only thing you would be
knowledgeable about, and could watch out for, is whether the carpet is
installed upside down. Oh, and maybe if they are installing the wrong
color in the room.
Here's some real things to watch out for:
Make sure they install nailing strips along the wall and make sure the
little spikes are angled to the wall. Make sure that they use a knee
kicker or stretcher to get the carpet tight. Make sure they do a good
job on any seams, so they are invisible.
Ask questions if you like, but only of the boss. Unless you know a few
Latin American languages, you probably couldn't communicate with the
workers.
Chuck B.

willshak wrote:
Chuck B. wrote:

Joe Fabeitz wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I do know spanish and was able to communicate with the tile
installation crew from Peru. I was also able to point out a few mistakes
they were about to make. for ex. the floor was not level and they hadn't
noticed it. The grout was not sealed properly so they did it again until
I passed it as acceptable. So, some knowledge of the job does seem to
keep them on their toes. Nuff said..
SJF

"Chuck B." wrote in message
I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of
the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and
also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

You've got to expect that the crew knows how to do the job. But be sure
they do all that your paying for. The flooring merchants around here seem
to subcontract the installation. If the crews can do three jobs in a day
instead of two it's money in their pockets. I've generally had good results
but the last time was an exception.

That was for vinyl flooring in a kitchen-dining area. I had contracted for
removal of two previous layers of flooring and removal and replacement of
washer, dryer and refrigerator. The crew was going to floor over the old
stuff and around the appliances. Fortunately, I was there and forestalled
an irremediable mistake.

I'm not suggesting this is typical but it may suggest a type of thing you
could be alert for

Chuck B.

SJF wrote:

"Chuck B." wrote in message

[...]

Thank you for the tips.

davefr

1. Ask the dealer about the installer. Try and get one with the most
experience. Don't go into it thinking you have no choice.

2. Crank up your home's heat. Carpet should not be installed cold.
Often times the roll of carpet is very cold and if it's installed
immediately then it'll need to be restretched very quickly.

3. Ask the installer about any seaming. Most try and locate the seam
in the least obvious/least traffic location but not always. Sometimes
it's wise to even spring for some extra yardage if it'll
reduce/eliminate seams.

4. Be nice to the crew and it's likely they'll try and do their best
work.

5. Save some of the scrap. You might need it some day.

Carpet laying looks easy but it's hard work

"Chuck B." wrote in message ...
I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of
the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and
also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

ck

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Chuck B. wrote:

I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of
the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and
also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

Hi,
Most important thing with carpet is GOOD underlay. Hope you took care of
that part. I always choose best underlay with less expensive carpet.
Not the other way around.
Tony

Yes Tony,

A good point. We recently removed damaged carpets due to flooding. The
underlay was paper thin.

I will get the thickest padding possible on the next install.

CK

Dorot29701

The installers have to take down your doors. The ones who did my carpet
installation worked very fast and when they put the doors back they got some of
them in the wrong place. We have those bi-fold louvered closet doors and they
mix/matched some. It was a mess getting them put back right after they left.
We didn't realize what had happened until too late.

Chuck B.

Dorot29701 wrote:

The installers have to take down your doors. The ones who did my carpet
installation worked very fast and when they put the doors back they got some of
them in the wrong place. We have those bi-fold louvered closet doors and they
mix/matched some. It was a mess getting them put back right after they left.
We didn't realize what had happened until too late.

Carpet installation is done. Two very good installers did 4 rooms in 5
hours. They moved all furniture and even put carpet in a walk-in closet
that I hadn't planned on doing. (they had enough left over.) They
vacuumed when finished and left everything in it's place. I have no
complaints. Thanks to all for the helpful advice given. I was able to
watch the whole job and no mistakes were made.