Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Worktop/wall transition.

Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally
dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather
look like it to me.

--
*A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally
dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather
look like it to me.

A length of oak architrave looks good - other woods are available ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 01/12/2020, Dave Plowman (News) supposed :
Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally
dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather
look like it to me.

I go for practical, rather than posh. I originally found a 3M sticky
back flexible trim, hinged down the middle, which served for both
worktops and around baths. It came as a roll. That worked and generally
stuck well, but tended to eventually come unstuck and discolour.

Some months ago I discovered a plastic quadrant, from Eurocell, really
intended for double glazing installs. It comes in two sizes, white or
brown, sticks and seals perfectly with a mastic and it is very, very
cheap.

I originally bought some for replacing the MDF quadrant, used around
laminate flooring.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2020 11:00:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

That's a very broad brush you're painting. I would struggle to see the
difference between grout and a silicone sealant with a matt finish.

YMMV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally
dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather
look like it to me.

If there's no appreciable gap between tiles and worktop, a very thin
fillet of clear sealant does the job, and is almost invisible.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally
dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather
look like it to me.

A length of oak architrave looks good - other woods are available ;-)

I'm leaning towards that sort of thing. But not as large as architrave.

--
*I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally
dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather
look like it to me.

A length of oak architrave looks good - other woods are available ;-)

I'm leaning towards that sort of thing. But not as large as architrave.

Make your own (or get a woodworker to do so) or just use a piece of
hardwood moulding from the sheds
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Dec 2020 13:52:50 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

Is there a small posh looking trim that would do the job? I generally
dislike those too - usually used to cover a poor transition. Or rather
look like it to me.

A length of oak architrave looks good - other woods are available ;-)

I'm leaning towards that sort of thing. But not as large as architrave.

Quadrant?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2020 13:00, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/12/2020 11:00:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

That's a very broad brush you're painting. I would struggle to see the
difference between grout and a silicone sealant with a matt finish.

When I have put sealant around window frames I have put masking tape on
each side of the where I want the sealant to be. The tape must be
removed immediately after the sealant has been applied. If I ever
replace the sealant where my kitchen worktops meet the walls I plan to
use the same technique.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2020 23:48, Michael Chare wrote:
On 01/12/2020 13:00, Fredxx wrote:
On 01/12/2020 11:00:33, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Have a worktop with the walls above it tiled. Worktop goes under the
tiles. Grouting between the tiles and worktop looks excellent when
done -
but over time, movement of the worktop cracks the grout.

Really don't like the look of a silicone fillet.

That's a very broad brush you're painting. I would struggle to see the
difference between grout and a silicone sealant with a matt finish.

When I have put sealant around window frames I have put masking tape on
each side of the where I want the sealant to be. The tape must be
removed immediately after the sealant has been applied.Â* If I ever
replace the sealant where my kitchen worktops meet the walls I plan to
use the same technique.

--

You may not need the tape if you use something like

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cramer-Grou.../dp/B07H8K5W8D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DI4hfHM_Hg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxtQhpA5Vo

(I have the Aldi/Lidl version that cost £4 - but only the blue parts
and not the orange parts as in the Amazon listing)

Practice first - the trick is not to apply too much sealant in the
first place.

I've also found it much easier to silicone using a heavy duty gun rather
than a cheap flimsy gun. I found a heavy duty applicator gun in Wilko a
couple of years back for £7.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/12/2020 23:48, Michael Chare wrote:

When I have put sealant around window frames I have put masking tape on
each side of the where I want the sealant to be. The tape must be
removed immediately after the sealant has been applied.Â* If I ever
replace the sealant where my kitchen worktops meet the walls I plan to
use the same technique.

I do the same - it works very well.