Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Spindle lock.

How does the spindle lock work on a drill? The type that lets you use a
keyless chuck one handed? More specifically, how does it disengage when
you switch on?

--
*Never miss a good chance to shut up *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
How does the spindle lock work on a drill? The type that lets you use a
keyless chuck one handed? More specifically, how does it disengage when
you switch on?

On drills with a keyless chuck it's a type of gear[ing] that only
works when transmitting power in one direction. I guess it's a bit
like a ratchet except that it works on both directions. There's a
specific name for it which I'm afraid I can't remember. :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
How does the spindle lock work on a drill? The type that lets you use a
keyless chuck one handed? More specifically, how does it disengage when
you switch on?

On drills with a keyless chuck it's a type of gear[ing] that only
works when transmitting power in one direction. I guess it's a bit
like a ratchet except that it works on both directions. There's a
specific name for it which I'm afraid I can't remember. :-)

Not a very good explanation, using 'direction' with two different
meanings!

It's a type of gear train that will transmit power from A to B but
locks when transmitting power from B to A.

At the very simplest level (but it isn't this) think of a worm gear
which will transmit power from the rotating worm gear to the pinion
but won't allow the pinion to be rotated.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/11/2020 14:41:30, Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
How does the spindle lock work on a drill? The type that lets you use a
keyless chuck one handed? More specifically, how does it disengage when
you switch on?

On drills with a keyless chuck it's a type of gear[ing] that only
works when transmitting power in one direction. I guess it's a bit
like a ratchet except that it works on both directions. There's a
specific name for it which I'm afraid I can't remember. :-)

Not a very good explanation, using 'direction' with two different
meanings!

It's a type of gear train that will transmit power from A to B but
locks when transmitting power from B to A.

At the very simplest level (but it isn't this) think of a worm gear
which will transmit power from the rotating worm gear to the pinion
but won't allow the pinion to be rotated.

I presume like a Quaife differential? The only spindle locks I've seen
are manual, where a peg stops rotation of a shaft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Dave Plowman wrote:

How does the spindle lock work on a drill? The type that lets you use a
keyless chuck one handed? More specifically, how does it disengage when
you switch on?

On drills with a keyless chuck it's a type of gear[ing] that only
works when transmitting power in one direction. I guess it's a bit
like a ratchet except that it works on both directions. There's a
specific name for it which I'm afraid I can't remember. :-)

A sprag clutch?

That I could understand, but the motor reverses? A one way clutch could
work if it were a gearbox reverse after it. Just curious. ;-)

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
How does the spindle lock work on a drill? The type that lets you use a
keyless chuck one handed? More specifically, how does it disengage when
you switch on?

On drills with a keyless chuck it's a type of gear[ing] that only
works when transmitting power in one direction.Â* I guess it's a bit
like a ratchet except that it works on both directions.Â* There's a
specific name for it which I'm afraid I can't remember. :-)

Not a very good explanation, using 'direction' with two different
meanings!

It's a type of gear train that will transmit power from A to B but
locks when transmitting power from B to A.

At the very simplest level (but it isn't this) think of a worm gear
which will transmit power from the rotating worm gear to the pinion
but won't allow the pinion to be rotated.

I presume like a Quaife differential? The only spindle locks I've seen
are manual, where a peg stops rotation of a shaft.

Most decent drills have them to allow one handed keyless chucks. In most
cases they just work, although sometimes you might notice them "catch"
as you slow down when spinning something big like a mixing paddle or
hole saw.

--
Cheers,

John.