Posted to rec.woodworking

Default DP spindle lock?

Hi.. I just got a drill press and the manual shows how to use the
spindle lock, inserting a bolt into a threaded hole, but what is it
supposed to lock and when are you suppose to use this?

Also is it a common practice to use a mallet to install the chuck, I
wasn't sure how far the chuck should go into the tapered arbor, but I
was afraid the hammering might increase the runout of the drill.
Nothing is slipping so seems to be working for now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi.. I just got a drill press and the manual shows how to use the
spindle lock, inserting a bolt into a threaded hole, but what is it
supposed to lock and when are you suppose to use this?

Also is it a common practice to use a mallet to install the chuck, I
wasn't sure how far the chuck should go into the tapered arbor, but I
was afraid the hammering might increase the runout of the drill.
Nothing is slipping so seems to be working for now.

Does the spindle lock prevent the spindle from spinning? This would aid in
the removal of the chuck.

Mine will lock to prevent up and down travel. Good for using a drum sander
when you do not want to use the table adjustment.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com,
wrote:
Hi.. I just got a drill press and the manual shows how to use the
spindle lock, inserting a bolt into a threaded hole, but what is it
supposed to lock and when are you suppose to use this?

Also is it a common practice to use a mallet to install the chuck, I
wasn't sure how far the chuck should go into the tapered arbor, but I
was afraid the hammering might increase the runout of the drill.
Nothing is slipping so seems to be working for now.

The splindle lock holds the spindle in place after it hase been
extended by some arbitrary length. Not trying to sound smart, but when
you need it you'll know! It's a very useful feature that is often
not present on todays cheaper drill presses. Sounds as if the one
you describe works like a set screw. The more traditional (and IMHO
better) way is to have a split in the housing around the spindle and
a clamp bolt arrangement that tightens the housing up around the
spindle. I've seen set-screw style used to retrofit a drill press
that did not have a factory spindle lock and it's certainly better
than nothing.

Don'w worry about the mallet, that is the correct way to install
the chuck. Just make sure the tapered surfaces inside and outside
are clean and dry. One or 2 good whacks are usually all that is necessary
plausible, and wrong." (Mencken)

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also is it a common practice to use a mallet to install the chuck, I
wasn't sure how far the chuck should go into the tapered arbor, but I
was afraid the hammering might increase the runout of the drill.
Nothing is slipping so seems to be working for now.

Is the taper a morse taper or a jacobs taper?

Or... Is it 2" or less in length or longer? That will be enough to let us
know.

If it is a Jacobs taper (short) then you want it clean and dry - NO OIL!
Acetone to clean both the inside and outside surfaces is perfect but other
thinners may work as long as they don't leave a residue. I exclusively use
Acetone because it disappears fast. Set the chuck on the taper by hand then
whack it with a soft mallet (leather, rubber, wood with a regular hammer,
etc.) Hit straight on, not at an angle at all and you will be fine.

If it is a morse taper, clean surfaces the same way - NO OIL! Press the
morse taper in by hand and then either give it a VERY gentle hit with a soft
mallet or better yet, put a piece of wood on the table and use the arm to
"press" it into the taper.

If it falls out during use, you didn't clean it well enough or hit it hard
enough...

Make sure to open the chuck all the way in either case so that the jaws are
retracted. You don't want to damage the chuck jaws at all.

Shoot me a private e-mail (anyone) and I'll email you a PDF with the basics
for a Jacobs taper...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi.. I just got a drill press and the manual shows how to use the
spindle lock, inserting a bolt into a threaded hole, but what is it
supposed to lock and when are you suppose to use this?

The spindle lock may actually be a "quill lock." Something that goes onto
the quill in a "V" groove to make sure the quill does not rotate or move at
all. When I sell multiple spindle heads to folks, a quill that rotates a
bit can cause all types of problems when using wide heads... Imagine a 30"
wide drilling head with chucks at both ends... If it is clamped to the
Quill - and it is - and the quill moves 1 degree, that translates into lots
of movement at the ends.

In wood, that might not be such a big issue because nobody I know uses a
micrometer on wood... But in metalworking, .001" to .005" is a typical
tolerance for location and/or hole size. ...That's thousanths of an inch
for those of you who don't get it. G For you non-Americans... That.s
roughly .0254mm

However... I think your device may keep the spindle extended to a set
position for some other use - maybe a small sanding attachment, etc?

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article DpqAh.3666$Aa5.2325@trnddc01,
Joe AutoDrill wrote:

Make sure to open the chuck all the way in either case so that the jaws are
retracted. You don't want to damage the chuck jaws at all.

Shoot me a private e-mail (anyone) and I'll email you a PDF with the basics
for a Jacobs taper...
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244

V8013-R

Joe,

Some years ago Jacobs had chuck repair procedures on their website.
Their instructions for a plain-bearing chuck (not bottom-end
multicraft, not sure about the ball bearing chucks) were that the
jaws be opened to approximately the half way point and that the _jaws_
rather than the sleeve be pressed or struck. The reasons being that the
jaws are high strength hardened steel, much stronger than the sleeve
and more importantly, the sleeve is simply press fit onto the chuck.
If it is struck or used as the surface to press on, it is quite possible
and even likely that it will move further back towards the end of the
chuck with the taper. If it does move, the chuck key will no longer fit.
If you disassemble one of these chucks for cleaning or repair it's
easy to see how this can happen.

plausible, and wrong." (Mencken)

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland - lwasserm(a)sdf.lonestar.org
Posted to rec.woodworking

Some years ago Jacobs had chuck repair procedures on their website.
Their instructions for a plain-bearing chuck (not bottom-end
multicraft, not sure about the ball bearing chucks) were that the
jaws be opened to approximately the half way point and that the _jaws_
rather than the sleeve be pressed or struck. The reasons being that the
jaws are high strength hardened steel, much stronger than the sleeve
and more importantly, the sleeve is simply press fit onto the chuck.
If it is struck or used as the surface to press on, it is quite possible
and even likely that it will move further back towards the end of the
chuck with the taper. If it does move, the chuck key will no longer fit.
If you disassemble one of these chucks for cleaning or repair it's
easy to see how this can happen.

Ahh... I know what you mean. You are correct. The chucks we use are not
built quite the same... But I do recall working with Jacobs chucks and they
do indeed have a sleeve that presses off for rebuild / repair, etc.

Ours do also, but not in the same way.

Sorry to all for the potentially bad info.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244