Ed Bailen

Default Grizzly G1008 Spindle Lock

The spindle lock on my Grizzly G1008 knee mill doesn't do a very good
job of locking the spindle. It never has. Unless I'm holding the
fine feed knob, I can see it slowly lowering spindle as I cut. This
happens regardless of how much I crank down on the spindle clamp
"nut". The end mills are not coming out of the weldon holder, it is
the spindle itself that is lowering.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem on the
G1004/G1008 and found the solution? So far, it hasn't been enough of
an irritant to warrant disassembling the spindle to look at it.

Thanks,
Ed Bailen
NokNokMan

You can take the lock lever out of the mill and make sure the flat part of
the "clutch" is seating against the ram. If it isn't, then you have a very
small, curved contact area between the lock and the ram. You just have to
unscrew the locking handle then work it back in until you feel the flat part
of the "clutch" seat. You'll know it's right when you get a few extra turns
of the locking handle (because of the different distance with the flat part
properly engaged).
Hope this helps.
Nok
"Ed Bailen" wrote in message
The spindle lock on my Grizzly G1008 knee mill doesn't do a very good
job of locking the spindle. It never has. Unless I'm holding the
fine feed knob, I can see it slowly lowering spindle as I cut. This
happens regardless of how much I crank down on the spindle clamp
"nut". The end mills are not coming out of the weldon holder, it is
the spindle itself that is lowering.

Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem on the
G1004/G1008 and found the solution? So far, it hasn't been enough of
an irritant to warrant disassembling the spindle to look at it.

Thanks,
Ed Bailen

Ed Bailen

Thanks for the suggestion, Nok. I'll check it out. Unfortunately, it
looks like I may be tearing the spindle down soon. The last time I
used the mill, all of the oil I put in the spindle oil cup immediately
ran out the front, collecting at the bottom of the depth stop window.
I have a contact at Grizzly that I need to call next week to go
through the teardown procedure.

Regards,
Ed

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:28:09 -0500, "NokNokMan"
wrote:

You can take the lock lever out of the mill and make sure the flat part of
the "clutch" is seating against the ram. If it isn't, then you have a very
small, curved contact area between the lock and the ram. You just have to
unscrew the locking handle then work it back in until you feel the flat part
of the "clutch" seat. You'll know it's right when you get a few extra turns
of the locking handle (because of the different distance with the flat part
properly engaged).
Hope this helps.
Nok
.. .