Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Squeaky hinges

Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

Thanks in advance

Lee.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

I think some sort of spray grease should do the trick, just squirt it
at the hinge joints. It'll work its way in OK.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:30:08 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

I think some sort of spray grease should do the trick, just squirt it
at the hinge joints. It'll work its way in OK.

Or 3-in-1 spray directed using the straw
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1605102233

I think hinges need something a bit 'stickier' than 3-in-1 though.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/11/2020 15:09, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

If the hinges have ball bearings packed with grease I wonder how
effective any externally applied lubricant can be, and for how long. If
the listed hinges are an /exact/ matches I think I'd at least consider
replacement as the easiest option in the longer term.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:45:59 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off.

Just normal accumlation of wear and dust mixed with whatever has been
used to lubricate the hinge in the past.

I think some sort of spray grease should do the trick, just

squirt it
at the hinge joints. It'll work its way in OK.

Or 3-in-1 spray directed using the straw

I think hinges need something a bit 'stickier' than 3-in-1 though.

I tend to agree that a thin smear of grease actually applied to the
bearing suraces/hinge pin and reasembled would be good but I don't
think anything outside will find it's way in. And the stuff left on
the outside is messy and not doing anything...

I reach for a big screwdriver and oil pen. Use big screwdriver as a
stethoscope to find the offending hinge and apply the tinest drop of
oil to the joints of said hinge letting capillary action draw it
between the bearing faces. Work the door a bit, leave for 10 mins,
check squeak has gone.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" Wrote in message:r
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 16:45:59 +0000, Chris Green wrote: Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil which we periodically clean off.Just normal accumlation of wear and dust mixed with whatever has beenused to lubricate the hinge in the past. I think some sort of spray grease should do the trick, justsquirt it at the hinge joints. It'll work its way in OK. Or 3-in-1 spray directed using the straw I think hinges need something a bit 'stickier' than 3-in-1 though.I tend to agree that a thin smear of grease actually applied to thebearing suraces/hinge pin and reasembled would be good but I don'tthink anything outside will find it's way in. And the stuff left onthe outside is messy and not doing anything...I reach for a big screwdriver and oil pen. Use big screwdriver as astethoscope to find the offending hinge and apply the tinest drop ofoil to the joints of said hinge letting capillary action draw itbetween the bearing faces. Work the door a bit, leave for 10 mins,check squeak has gone.-- CheersDave.

--

Thanks all. The design of the hinge looks like you could somehow
dismantle it by prising the top/ bottom off Assume that is not

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
https://piaohong.s3-us-west-2.amazon...net/index.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

I think some sort of spray grease should do the trick, just squirt it
at the hinge joints. It'll work its way in OK.

Or 3-in-1 spray directed using the straw
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1605102233

That's what I'd do too. Surface tension should hold some of it in place.
Ideally with ball bearings you would find a way to re-fill with grease
although I would be cautious about prising off the top. If you have one
really noisy one and they are still available you might swap it out and
give the old one a good soak in a thin solvent, and then in something
like gear oil. And keep it as a spare.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:
[...]

Or lithium spray:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm//153681034528

I find it a lot better in this sort of situation - tends to 'stick' for a lot
longer.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:09:13 +0000 (GMT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

Because they are 'Ball bearing hinges' and in the spirit of 'reuse /
recycle' and d-i-y g I'd be tempted to buy a spare set and swap them
out on the first door. Then I'd soak / work the hinges in some
paraffin till you had got all the cr*p out.

If that was too involved, you could probably spray the cr*p out using
brake cleaner or even WD40.

Then I would dry them and then soak / work them in some heavy oil
(SAE80?), allowing it to get into all the gaps / bearings then wipe
off the surplus and leave on some newspaper / kitchen towel to drain.

Replace on the next door and probably never need to deal with the ones
you processed ever again that were probably never lubed or lubed
properly from new. ;-(

If you have 3 hinges / door you could probably change them one at a
time unassisted. If two hinge and have some assistance / wedges you
should be able to change them one at a time in-situ (easier than
lifting the door off and re-hanging).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. We have rising butts on all the doors here and if any stop self
closing, a drop of 3-in-1 will generally get them going but it won't
last. If I lift the door off, clean the hinges properly (rag with some
solvent), add a thin smear of white grease and re-hang, 'then' they
carry on for years.

Dishwasher - squeaky door Nightstar Home Ownership 2 September 4th 04 07:09 PM
Squeaky Floorboards and nails james blake UK diy 17 August 19th 04 07:10 PM
squeaky washer JJ Home Repair 3 June 26th 04 12:41 AM
Squeaky T&G subfloor Andy Francke Home Repair 7 July 12th 03 02:45 AM
Oiling squeaky door hinge Eric G Home Repair 16 July 3rd 03 10:48 PM