Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Squeaky hinges

On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:09:13 +0000 (GMT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

Because they are 'Ball bearing hinges' and in the spirit of 'reuse /
recycle' and d-i-y g I'd be tempted to buy a spare set and swap them
out on the first door. Then I'd soak / work the hinges in some
paraffin till you had got all the cr*p out.

If that was too involved, you could probably spray the cr*p out using
brake cleaner or even WD40.

Then I would dry them and then soak / work them in some heavy oil
(SAE80?), allowing it to get into all the gaps / bearings then wipe
off the surplus and leave on some newspaper / kitchen towel to drain.

Replace on the next door and probably never need to deal with the ones
you processed ever again that were probably never lubed or lubed
properly from new. ;-(

If you have 3 hinges / door you could probably change them one at a
time unassisted. If two hinge and have some assistance / wedges you
should be able to change them one at a time in-situ (easier than
lifting the door off and re-hanging).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. We have rising butts on all the doors here and if any stop self
closing, a drop of 3-in-1 will generally get them going but it won't
last. If I lift the door off, clean the hinges properly (rag with some
solvent), add a thin smear of white grease and re-hang, 'then' they
carry on for years.