Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Squeaky hinges

On 19/11/2020 16:17, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 15:30:08 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi all

I have these hinges on all my internal doors

https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=53535

Over the years they have been gradually "leaking" some black oil
which we periodically clean off. One of the doors has now gone
very squeaky so looking to oil the hinges. Any idea what is best
to use and how to oil them? The tops and bottoms are covered so
can't squirt something in the top and work it around by opening
and closing the door.

I think some sort of spray grease should do the trick, just squirt it
at the hinge joints. It'll work its way in OK.

Or 3-in-1 spray directed using the straw
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1605102233

That's what I'd do too. Surface tension should hold some of it in place.
Ideally with ball bearings you would find a way to re-fill with grease
although I would be cautious about prising off the top. If you have one
really noisy one and they are still available you might swap it out and
give the old one a good soak in a thin solvent, and then in something
like gear oil. And keep it as a spare.