Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scroll saw cutting 3mm aluminium sheet

Is it possible? Will it work? I have a panel to cut out and some of the
shapes are a bit awkward.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2020 02:10, williamwright wrote:

Is it possible?

Yup, with a metal cutting blade. (and in reality, you might even get
away with a fine tooth wood blade)

Will it work?

3mm should be doable

https://www.axminstertools.com/pegas...-pkt-12-502326

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sun, 01 Nov 2020 02:10:39 +0000, williamwright wrote:

Is it possible? Will it work? I have a panel to cut out and some of the
shapes are a bit awkward.

Bill

In 1958 I used an Abrafile on 1/8" aluminium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2020 02:10, williamwright wrote:
Is it possible? Will it work? I have a panel to cut out and some of the
shapes are a bit awkward.

Bill

Yes, but a nibbler (either electric, air, or drill attachment) would be
better if you're cutting from an edge or have a large hole to cut so can
make a starting hole that's large enough to take the punch. They don't
all go to 3mm so check the spec. I've been using a Falcon drill
attachment nibbler for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2020 10:10, jon wrote:
In 1958 I used an Abrafile on 1/8" aluminium.

Did you get finished by Christmas?

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2020 02:10, williamwright wrote:
Is it possible? Will it work? I have a panel to cut out and some of the
shapes are a bit awkward.

Bill

With correct blade and plenty of oil yes. No oil and blade will clog.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 16:56:11 +0000, williamwright
wrote:

On 01/11/2020 10:10, jon wrote:
In 1958 I used an Abrafile on 1/8" aluminium.

Did you get finished by Christmas?

I've found them to be pretty fast, especially when cutting sheet
materials *and* you can hold the sheet firmly. eg, You might have to
keep moving it around in a vice or brace the work in the vice with
wood / metal strips).

I have an Abrafile 'blade' in a big hacksaw frame all the time (I
bought a few at the time).

You can still get alternatives and they are quite versatile:

"RS PRO rodsaw blade is made of tungsten carbide welded to a mild
steel rod and is 150 mm or 300 mm long to fit standard hacksaw frames.
This tungsten carbide coated blade is suitable for sawing profiles in
tile, bricks, concrete, glass, carbon fibre and other composites
without fraying the material being cut. It is perfect for maintenance
and engineering applications."

The only real limitation is that a std hacksaw does have as big a
throat as yer average scrollsaw and whilst you might be able to put
one in a coping / fretsaw type frame, they might not be stiff enough
for some heavier action.

https://altrish.co.uk/abrafile-repla...minster-tools/

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2020 16:57, williamwright wrote:
On 01/11/2020 07:09, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/11/2020 02:10, williamwright wrote:

Is it possible?

Yup, with a metal cutting blade. (and in reality, you might even get
away with a fine tooth wood blade)

Will it work?

3mm should be doable

I have a panel to cut out and some of the shapes are a bit awkward.

https://www.axminstertools.com/pegas...-pkt-12-502326

The only thing to watch out for is the soft aluminium metal clogging up
the blade. You might have to rub it with a file card from time to time.

Some aluminiums are worse than others. Oil helps but isn't a panacea.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2020 13:21, Martin Brown wrote:
On 01/11/2020 16:57, williamwright wrote:
On 01/11/2020 07:09, John Rumm wrote:
On 01/11/2020 02:10, williamwright wrote:

Is it possible?

Yup, with a metal cutting blade. (and in reality, you might even get
away with a fine tooth wood blade)

Will it work?

3mm should be doable

I have a panel to cut out and some of the shapes are a bit awkward.

https://www.axminstertools.com/pegas...-pkt-12-502326

The only thing to watch out for is the soft aluminium metal clogging up
the blade. You might have to rub it with a file card from time to time.

Some aluminiums are worse than others. Oil helps but isn't a panacea.

WD40 is a good cutting lubricant for ali.

--
Cheers,

John.