Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OTish]Temperature sensor thread sealant

I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head. What
should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite, plumbing
thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or something else?
Glad of any advice.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head.
What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or
something else? Glad of any advice.

No taper at the end? PTFE tape won't do any harm.

I use ScotchClad thread sealer for everything that screws into my ally
engine. It seals, prevents corrosion, and locks.

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Oct 2020 at 14:55:34 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head.
What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or
something else? Glad of any advice.

No taper at the end? PTFE tape won't do any harm.

I use ScotchClad thread sealer for everything that screws into my ally
engine. It seals, prevents corrosion, and locks.

Thanks. The ScotchClad seems a bit elusive, though.
--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2020 16:12, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 29 Oct 2020 at 14:55:34 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head.
What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or
something else? Glad of any advice.

No taper at the end? PTFE tape won't do any harm.

I use ScotchClad thread sealer for everything that screws into my ally
engine. It seals, prevents corrosion, and locks.

Thanks. The ScotchClad seems a bit elusive, though.

If Loctite don't make something exactly designed for this, I'll eat my hat.

Ooh. I don't own a hat. Hmm...

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...erblue242.html

I'd leave 24 hours to 'cure' on a non steel surface

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Henkel-2097.../dp/B000I1RSNS

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
On 29 Oct 2020 at 14:55:34 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head.
What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or
something else? Glad of any advice.

No taper at the end? PTFE tape won't do any harm.

I use ScotchClad thread sealer for everything that screws into my ally
engine. It seals, prevents corrosion, and locks.

Thanks. The ScotchClad seems a bit elusive, though.

Yup - you'll not find it in Halfords. A car body shop that deals with 3M
for paint should be able to order it for you. Comes in litre tins - last
one I bought about £35. But of course will do hundreds of bolts, and that
tin is lasting well. It's for all the world like a clear cellulose
varnish. Full name ScotchClad 776. But I'm sure there will be a tube of
loctite that does much the same.

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Oct 2020 at 17:20:27 GMT, "The Natural Philosopher"
wrote:

On 29/10/2020 16:12, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 29 Oct 2020 at 14:55:34 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"

wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head.
What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or
something else? Glad of any advice.

No taper at the end? PTFE tape won't do any harm.

I use ScotchClad thread sealer for everything that screws into my ally
engine. It seals, prevents corrosion, and locks.

Thanks. The ScotchClad seems a bit elusive, though.

If Loctite don't make something exactly designed for this, I'll eat my hat.

Ooh. I don't own a hat. Hmm...

https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/p...erblue242.html

I'd leave 24 hours to 'cure' on a non steel surface

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Henkel-2097.../dp/B000I1RSNS

That's what I tend to use on cars. Not sure how well it is rated as a
sealant, but I suppose it is bound to works at least to some extent if it
locks the threads.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 14:37:23 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head. What
should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite, plumbing
thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or something else?
Glad of any advice.

--
Roger Hayter

Does it actually NEED sealing - ie is it going to leak coolant or does it screw into a blind pocket? I'd simply put a smear of anti sieze or a corrosion inhibiting heat sink compound on the thread if there's no leakage likely
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct 2020 at 06:56:10 GMT, "John J" wrote:

On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 14:37:23 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head. What
should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing
thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or something
else?
Glad of any advice.

--
Roger Hayter

Does it actually NEED sealing - ie is it going to leak coolant or does it
screw into a blind pocket? I'd simply put a smear of anti sieze or a
corrosion inhibiting heat sink compound on the thread if there's no leakage
likely

It is potentially going to leak coolant.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John J wrote:
On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 14:37:23 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring
or shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder
head. What should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue
loctite, plumbing thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I
would think) or something else? Glad of any advice.

-- Roger Hayter

Does it actually NEED sealing - ie is it going to leak coolant or does it screw into a blind pocket? I'd simply put a smear of anti sieze or a corrosion inhibiting heat sink compound on the thread if there's no leakage likely

A CTS normally pokes into the coolant.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

I've just looked at a spare I have here for an SD1 Rover - ally head. It
definitely has a taper at the end of the thread just below the hex.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct 2020 at 10:44:56 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

Do you reckon ordinary blue (clone) Loctite is good enough? I'm not convinced
taper threads should be used without sealant.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
On 30 Oct 2020 at 10:44:56 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

On the Rover, I've not heard anyone say you must use any sealant at all.

--
*I tried to catch some fog, but I mist.*