Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default [OTish]Temperature sensor thread sealant

On 30 Oct 2020 at 10:44:56 GMT, ""Dave Plowman" News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Roger Hayter wrote:
On 30 Oct 2020 at 06:56:10 GMT, "John J" wrote:

On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 14:37:23 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head. What
should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing
thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or something
else?
Glad of any advice.

--
Roger Hayter

Does it actually NEED sealing - ie is it going to leak coolant or does it
screw into a blind pocket? I'd simply put a smear of anti sieze or a
corrosion inhibiting heat sink compound on the thread if there's no leakage
likely

It is potentially going to leak coolant.

I've just looked at a spare I have here for an SD1 Rover - ally head. It
definitely has a taper at the end of the thread just below the hex.

Do you reckon ordinary blue (clone) Loctite is good enough? I'm not convinced
taper threads should be used without sealant.

--
Roger Hayter