Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default [OTish]Temperature sensor thread sealant

On 30 Oct 2020 at 06:56:10 GMT, "John J" wrote:

On Thursday, 29 October 2020 at 14:37:23 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:
I have a brass temperature sensor about 14mm in diameter, no 'O' ring or
shoulder, just seals on the threads into an aluminium cylinder head. What
should I use to seal it? Nothing, ptfe tape, ordinary blue loctite,
plumbing
thread sealing compound (a bit too permanent I would think) or something
else?
Glad of any advice.

--
Roger Hayter

Does it actually NEED sealing - ie is it going to leak coolant or does it
screw into a blind pocket? I'd simply put a smear of anti sieze or a
corrosion inhibiting heat sink compound on the thread if there's no leakage
likely

It is potentially going to leak coolant.

--
Roger Hayter