Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Extend cable inside kitchen ceiling

We have a fault in the cabling for one of our kitchen ceiling lights.
The lamp I have just removed was running rather warm, and it's cooked
the end of the cable.

I can't replace the cable without taking up carpets and loads of
floorboards upstairs. And I've pulling on the cable, but it won't
budge, so there's no hope of pulling a new one through.

My plan is to trace the cable back 30 cms to a sound bit of cable, make
a hole in the ceiling, and extend the cable from there to the lamp. The
idea is to put the replacement light in the same position as the old one.

So, some questions:

Are there any connectors I can use that are allowed within the regulations?

Are there any connectors I can use that are safe, even though not
allowed within the regulations?

I'd prefer a small connector, so I don't have to make a whopping hole in
the ceiling. Any suggestions, please?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
We have a fault in the cabling for one of our kitchen ceiling lights.
The lamp I have just removed was running rather warm, and it's cooked
the end of the cable.

I can't replace the cable without taking up carpets and loads of
floorboards upstairs.Â*Â* And I've pulling on the cable, but it won't
budge, so there's no hope of pulling a new one through.

My plan is to trace the cable back 30 cms to a sound bit of cable, make
a hole in the ceiling, and extend the cable from there to the lamp. The
idea is to put the replacement light in the same position as the old one.

So, some questions:

Are there any connectors I can use that are allowed within the regulations?

Crimp or solder and heatshrink

Are there any connectors I can use that are safe, even though not
allowed within the regulations?Â*

I'd prefer a small connector, so I don't have to make a whopping hole in
the ceiling. Any suggestions, please?

If you can solder do that. Finished result wont be much bigger than the
cable you pulled out to extend - soon tuck back...

--
€œPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
[...]

Is selectively removing plasterboard ceiling more work to
reinstate then ripping up flooring ?.

There are nifty attachments for a router that cuts a circular
hole, and a special repair ring allows the round section removed to
slot right back in with no need for faffing with noggins etc, if you
decide to go through the floor.

even carefully removing square holes of flooring (drill pilot hole
and use jigsaw cutter), can be quite easy to make a solid repair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
[...]

Can you persuade yourself/others of the need for another light fitting
on the same circuit and then daisy chain from that?

If not (a) crimp connectors or (b) if you don't have/want to buy a
crimper, Wago connectors - in a box if you want to be a good boy:

https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-...ion-box/p85587

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/10/2020 16:22, Robin wrote:
On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
[...]

Sadly, no. It would look all wrong. Is that the only way to stay within
the regs?

If not (a) crimp connectors or (b) if you don't have/want to buy a
crimper, Wago connectors - in a box if you want to be a good boy:

https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-...ion-box/p85587

I'm quite happy to shell out a couple of pounds on a Wago box. I thought
it would be harder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
[...]

I'd also say Wago connectors are quicker and easier than crimps,
especially working overhead on a ladder. And unless you do a lot of
crimping, likely to be more reliable too.

Or, this sort of thing which includes the box

https://www.downlights.co.uk/push-fi...ction-box.html

(several types available from various sources)

What I have never tried is the solder ring in heat shrink type
connector. These look very good in video ads but I'm a bit skeptical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:

I'd prefer a small connector, so I don't have to make a whopping hole in
the ceiling. Any suggestions, please?

Wago?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-2-wa...k-of-100/8421r

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
[...]

Sadly, no. It would look all wrong.Â* Is that the only way to stay within
the regs?

If not (a) crimp connectors or (b) if you don't have/want to buy a
crimper, Wago connectors - in a box if you want to be a good boy:

https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-...ion-box/p85587

I'm quite happy to shell out a couple of pounds on a Wago box. I thought
it would be harder.

Plus the Wago connectors I've been in Toolstation when people who
only look at the pictures marched in to complain about that.

And I think the 2-pole 773 series will fit if you've some of those -
with the 2 cables into the same end of the box. But it's a while since I
used one so I may be due for a right bollocking when my homework's marked.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 17:16:38 +0100, newshound wrote:

What I have never tried is the solder ring in heat shrink type
connector. These look very good in video ads but I'm a bit skeptical.

Big Clive has done a teardown. IIRC the verdict was sort of work. The
bigger question is are they mains rated...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unxEdyW8RP8

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Obviously though, you need to sleeve each wire and the whole lot in heat
shrink for the safety of the next person who comes along after you!

This from a person who has just remembered the chock block he pushed behind
the convection heater blocking up the chimney in the living room. Ahem, well
it was a good idea for a temp way to run four filament strip lights at half
brightness cos I got fed up with them blowing.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
We have a fault in the cabling for one of our kitchen ceiling lights. The
lamp I have just removed was running rather warm, and it's cooked the end
of the cable.

I can't replace the cable without taking up carpets and loads of
floorboards upstairs. And I've pulling on the cable, but it won't budge,
so there's no hope of pulling a new one through.

My plan is to trace the cable back 30 cms to a sound bit of cable, make a
hole in the ceiling, and extend the cable from there to the lamp. The
idea is to put the replacement light in the same position as the old one.

So, some questions:

Are there any connectors I can use that are allowed within the
regulations?

Crimp or solder and heatshrink

Are there any connectors I can use that are safe, even though not allowed
within the regulations?

I'd prefer a small connector, so I don't have to make a whopping hole in
the ceiling. Any suggestions, please?

If you can solder do that. Finished result wont be much bigger than the
cable you pulled out to extend - soon tuck back...

--
"People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them, and
people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.
Indeed, when a conventional wisdom is at its fullest strength, one's
agreement with that conventional wisdom becomes almost a litmus test of
one's suitability to be taken seriously."

Paul Krugman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

https://www.quickwire.co.uk/product/...-junction-box/

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/10/2020 08:24, ARW wrote:
On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
[...]

That's smart. And because it's nil maintenance it's actually completely
legal (within the regs) to hide it in the ceiling?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 20:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 17:16:38 +0100, newshound wrote:

What I have never tried is the solder ring in heat shrink type
connector. These look very good in video ads but I'm a bit skeptical.

Big Clive has done a teardown. IIRC the verdict was sort of work. The
bigger question is are they mains rated...

Interesting, though easy enough to put an extra bit of "rated" sleeving
or heat shrink over them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 25/10/2020 12:08, GB wrote:
On 24/10/2020 08:24, ARW wrote:
On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
[...]

Yes.

--
Adam

Ceiling light wiring - how to extend (hypothetical) Mentalguy2k8 UK diy 18 August 8th 13 02:14 PM
Extend mains cable RJH[_2_] UK diy 15 June 13th 13 06:32 PM
Best way to join (extend) a Cat5e cable? Mathew Newton UK diy 14 January 28th 07 04:12 PM
What is the best solution to extend a coax cable from one building to another? [email protected] UK diy 9 June 24th 06 07:26 PM
How to extend electricity cable? pb UK diy 2 April 2nd 05 04:46 PM