Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Extend cable inside kitchen ceiling

On 23/10/2020 17:15, GB wrote:
On 23/10/2020 16:22, Robin wrote:
On 23/10/2020 15:49, GB wrote:
We have a fault in the cabling for one of our kitchen ceiling lights.
The lamp I have just removed was running rather warm, and it's cooked
the end of the cable.

I can't replace the cable without taking up carpets and loads of
floorboards upstairs.Â*Â* And I've pulling on the cable, but it won't
budge, so there's no hope of pulling a new one through.

My plan is to trace the cable back 30 cms to a sound bit of cable,
make a hole in the ceiling, and extend the cable from there to the
lamp. The idea is to put the replacement light in the same position
as the old one.

So, some questions:

Are there any connectors I can use that are allowed within the
regulations?

Are there any connectors I can use that are safe, even though not
allowed within the regulations?Â*

I'd prefer a small connector, so I don't have to make a whopping hole
in the ceiling. Any suggestions, please?

Can you persuade yourself/others of the need for another light fitting
on the same circuit and then daisy chain from that?

Sadly, no. It would look all wrong.Â* Is that the only way to stay within
the regs?

If not (a) crimp connectors or (b) if you don't have/want to buy a
crimper, Wago connectors - in a box if you want to be a good boy:

https://www.toolstation.com/wagobox-...ion-box/p85587

I'm quite happy to shell out a couple of pounds on a Wago box. I thought
it would be harder.

Plus the Wago connectors I've been in Toolstation when people who
only look at the pictures marched in to complain about that.

And I think the 2-pole 773 series will fit if you've some of those -
with the 2 cables into the same end of the box. But it's a while since I
used one so I may be due for a right bollocking when my homework's marked.

--
Robin