Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is the best solution to extend a coax cable from one building to another?

The cable company will only run the cableTV, IP Phone and Cable
Internet to the beginning of the road. I need to extend it an
additional 1100 feet to my house. What is the best method and
equipment to do this? I have attempted several times to have them run
it down the private road to my house unsuccessfully; therefore, I am
forced to look for alternative methods to do this myself. Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

What is the best method and equipment to do this?

CT125 or equivalent is your only hope. I assume, like my old NTL connection,
that you only need a single co-ax to run all the services unless you are
also getting analogue phone lines.

Run it across the surface and test. If it works, bury it, or string it up.
Run two in case of breakage.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Christian McArdle wrote:

What is the best method and equipment to do this?

CT125 or equivalent is your only hope.

That's still over 45 dB loss at 860 MHz! A fatter pipe like WF340 (o/d
= 19.8 mm, loss about 6 dB per 100 m) might help a bit more.

Really though the OP needs some discussion with the cable co.'s planning
people, so that they can give him higher signal levels at the boundary.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

That's still over 45 dB loss at 860 MHz! A fatter pipe like WF340 (o/d
= 19.8 mm, loss about 6 dB per 100 m) might help a bit more.

Yes. I had a brain fart and translated 1100ft as 100m. 16dB would probably
have been doable. 3 times that would require a very turned up line driver!

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:48:45 +0100 someone who may be David Hansen
wrote this:-

I need to extend it an
additional 1100 feet to my house. What is the best method and
equipment to do this?

Depends on the above, presuming you are not supposed to connect
directly to their cable.

I forgot to add that http://www.blackbox.co.uk/ might have something
of interest.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Jonathan Schneider wrote:
writes:

The cable company will only run the cableTV, IP Phone and Cable
Internet to the beginning of the road. I need to extend it an
additional 1100 feet to my house. What is the best method and
equipment to do this? I have attempted several times to have them run
it down the private road to my house unsuccessfully; therefore, I am
forced to look for alternative methods to do this myself. Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Good chance that 1100 feet and two properties hanging on one cable
just isn't going to work electrically. For the IP stuff you could use
normal wireless kit with high gain aerials. Anyway why pay for two
cablemodem services when one will do. As it's beyond the limit for
ethernet,

Its not really. Not with a switch at each end...

The time delay is outside spec, but with a fully buffered switch, thats
not an issue. Attenuation is not bad over cat 5...it shoudl work at
300meters or so.

CAT5 cabling may or may not work. If it doesn't there's
other kit than can sit on CAT5 cable. Of course oldy fashioned thick
ethernet would work but the cable would cost more than the wireless
kit and be slower.

For the telly how about an aerial. And while you're on the roof you
can fit one of those high gain 802.11 aerials.

Jon

Frankly running any kind of cable past over or under someone elses
property is a complete nightmare.

Get freeview and ADSL mate, and stop dreaming..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Jonathan Schneider wrote:

cablemodem services when one will do. As it's beyond the limit for
ethernet, CAT5 cabling may or may not work. If it doesn't there's

Ethernet should do 1000 ft per segment. So it ought to work, even if you
need to stick a repeater (i.e. a hub/switch) somewhere in the middle
(use PoE to power it).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jonathan Schneider
saying something like:

For the telly how about an aerial. And while you're on the roof you
can fit one of those high gain 802.11 aerials.

Why spend money?

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
--

Dave