Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wifi repeater WN3500NP and virtual MACs

Trying to improve my wifi coverage, I have just bought a used Netgear
WN3500NP repeater. It just connects to my main router (OpenWRT) via
wifi and provides an additional access point further away. All is
working fine, but I notice one peculiarity...

I have my main router, the one which connects to my FTTC set up to do
the DHCP allocation of IP's, with everything allocated by the router
its own static IP, based on its MAC.

Now, everything which connects via the repeater, is given a virtual
MAC, with the first three sets of MAC numbers changed.

Problem is, items which connect via the repeater - things which once
had static IP's, now have to have a dynamic IP. I can add them via
'Static Leases' settings of my main router, but is there a better way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 15:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Trying to improve my wifi coverage, I have just bought a used Netgear
WN3500NP repeater. It just connects to my main router (OpenWRT) via wifi
and provides an additional access point further away. All is working
fine, but I notice one peculiarity...

I have my main router, the one which connects to my FTTC set up to do
the DHCP allocation of IP's, with everything allocated by the router its
own static IP, based on its MAC.

Now, everything which connects via the repeater, is given a virtual MAC,
with the first three sets of MAC numbers changed.

Problem is, items which connect via the repeater - things which once had
static IP's, now have to have a dynamic IP. I can add them via 'Static
Leases' settings of my main router, but is there a better way?

put the netgear trash in the bin

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher submitted this idea :
put the netgear trash in the bin

Attached Devices Help

This page shows the IP Address, Device Name and MAC (Media Access
Control) Address for each computer attached to the network.

You cannot change any of the values on this page. To update this page
and to show the current attached devices, click on the Refresh button.

Virtual MAC Address: This is the MAC address of your wireless devices
observed from your extender. The MAC addresses of all of the devices
that are attached to the Extender will be changed to virtual MAC
addresses when traffic is transmitting from the devices to your
extender.

If your extender enables a MAC filter/Access control list, you must add
these Virtual MAC addresses into your extender.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 16:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
The Natural Philosopher submitted this idea :
put the netgear trash in the bin

Attached Devices Help

This page shows the IP Address, Device Name and MAC (Media Access
Control) Address for each computer attached to the network.

You cannot change any of the values on this page.

Exactly.

There are better extenders than this

--
Any fool can believe in principles - and most of them do!