Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rocking Horse Droppings - (10M USB repeater cable)

Once again, I am reduced to handing around the nursery stable
yard.........

I am after a 10 M A - B USB cable (with repeater).

Now, I know that Nanny says I mustn't have these (and why*), but I want
one anyway. Actualy I want another one, we already have one and it
works quite well, but it was made up specialy at great cost, and we had
to deal with someone who my collegue refers to as a tonsil (useless!).

I know I could get the same funtionality out of a 5M A Male to A Female
Repeater Extender cable and a standard 5M A-B cable, but as this is
going above a suspended ceiling, id' rather not have a join up there.

Does anyone know of a supplier who is willing to risk the wrath of the
USB police and sell these as a standard item? Or failing that can
recommend a supplier of the two separate cables which are reasonable
quality and price?

*For those who are interested and haven't fallen asleep, the reason
these aren't generally available is that otherwise people would join
them onto 2, 3, or even 5M cables and then complain bitterly to the
supplier if this config didn't work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland

[...]

There must be other ways of doing what you want such as serial port to USB
convertor.

Peter Crosland

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Peter Crosland wrote:
Once again, I am reduced to handing around the nursery stable
yard.........

I am after a 10 M A - B USB cable (with repeater).

snip
There must be other ways of doing what you want such as serial port to USB
convertor.

Once the cable is in, you've got very good flexibility.
It can be used to attach a webcam, printer, scanner, lava-lamp, ...

Serial is inherently pretty limited.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
me

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 02:37:49 -0800, cpvh wrote:

Once again, I am reduced to handing around the nursery stable

I am after a 10 M A - B USB cable (with repeater).

Try "10m usb" on eBay, and browse through the international results.
Germany seems perfectly happy to manufacture and supply them.

Looks like they come in at under a tenner all-in, in most cases.

Rocking Horse Project Appears Successful RonB Woodworking 1 November 8th 05 03:32 AM
Correction factors in running cable [email protected] UK diy 6 May 18th 04 07:08 PM
Car aerial cable ARWadsworth UK diy 18 February 25th 04 04:12 PM
Is it OK to put standard "twin & earth" cable directly into the cavity of a dwarf wall? Jon Weaver UK diy 20 August 8th 03 03:38 PM
Routeing Electrical FTE cable pickerel UK diy 3 July 24th 03 12:43 AM