Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wifi repeater WN3500NP and virtual MACs

A little harsh, It would be fine for many people, its only when you want
stable IP addresses you get issues.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 21/10/2020 15:42, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Trying to improve my wifi coverage, I have just bought a used Netgear
WN3500NP repeater. It just connects to my main router (OpenWRT) via wifi
and provides an additional access point further away. All is working
fine, but I notice one peculiarity...

I have my main router, the one which connects to my FTTC set up to do the
DHCP allocation of IP's, with everything allocated by the router its own
static IP, based on its MAC.

Now, everything which connects via the repeater, is given a virtual MAC,
with the first three sets of MAC numbers changed.

Problem is, items which connect via the repeater - things which once had
static IP's, now have to have a dynamic IP. I can add them via 'Static
Leases' settings of my main router, but is there a better way?

put the netgear trash in the bin

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."