Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Makita lithium ion 18V

I thought the advantage of Makita cordeless tools was that they all
shared the same battery type yet when I was presented with a Makita
BUC122 chainsaw with no battery I couldn't fit the one from a drill, it
seemed to start sliding in but then reached a hard stop. Are there
different types of Makita 18V battery fittings?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:

I thought the advantage of Makita cordeless tools was that they all
shared the same battery type yet when I was presented with a Makita
BUC122 chainsaw with no battery I couldn't fit the one from a drill, it
seemed to start sliding in but then reached a hard stop. Are there
different types of Makita 18V battery fittings?

ish ...

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/blog/knowledge-base/makita-18v-tools-and-the-batteries-that-power-them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH Wrote in message:
I thought the advantage of Makita cordeless tools was that they all
shared the same battery type yet when I was presented with a Makita
BUC122 chainsaw with no battery I couldn't fit the one from a drill, it
seemed to start sliding in but then reached a hard stop. Are there
different types of Makita 18V battery fittings?

What's the Ah of the battery that wouldn't fit?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2020 21:29, Andy Burns wrote:
AJH wrote:

I thought the advantage of Makita cordeless tools was that they all
shared the same battery type yet when I was presented with a Makita
BUC122 chainsaw with no battery I couldn't fit the one from a drill,
it seemed to start sliding in but then reached a hard stop. Are there
different types of Makita 18V battery fittings?

ish ...

https://www.toolstop.co.uk/blog/knowledge-base/makita-18v-tools-and-the-batteries-that-power-them

Thanks for that, I haven't taken it all in yet but will delve deeper
tomorrow evening.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

I thought the advantage of Makita cordeless tools was that they all
shared the same battery type yet when I was presented with a Makita
BUC122 chainsaw with no battery I couldn't fit the one from a drill, it
seemed to start sliding in but then reached a hard stop. Are there
different types of Makita 18V battery fittings?

Yup

There was a time when they introduced the 4Ah and higher capacity
batteries that they made a slight change to the fittings.

IIUC the logic was that the newer batteries used of an extra pin
position to allow more communication between tools and the battery
management system in the new bats. This is not present on the old tools.

(Also the new batts can supply higher peak current, which not all the
old tools may be able to handle)

You can just remove the tab on the tool that blocks the new battery
being inserted - but you will need to take care to not discharge it too
far since the battery monitoring and low voltage cut off won't work, and
you could end up bricking a battery if you take its terminal voltage too
low for the charger to want to charge it.

So moving forward - not an issue, all LXT batts and current tools (like
DUC prefix chainsaws) should play nice together.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

Hmmm
The buc122 is listed as LXT so should play with "usual" spec
Makita batteries?

I wonder if one of those lesser 1.5ah "look like LXT but actually
not" is afoot....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 09:18, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

All the batteries carry the LXT name, but the newer ones are marked with
a D and a star. The older LXT tools had model numbers prefixed with B,
and the newer ones D.

I wonder if one of those lesser 1.5ah "look like LXT but actually
not" is afoot....

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 09:18, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

How new is newer? I have a mix of older 3ah & "newer" 5ah
batteries, all play interchangeably with everything I've
got...
from a new twin 18v linetrimmer, back to an old LXT flashlight.

I have yet to experience this "battery block"

I wonder if one of those lesser 1.5ah "look like LXT but actually
not" is afoot....

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

Yerss. The 1.5ah *lookalikes* were sold as part of cheaper B&Q
style makita drill kits - they look like shallower LXT batts but
aren't & don't fit - G series rings a bell...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 20, 2020 at 10:53:58 AM UTC+1, JimK wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 09:18, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

Ran into this problem with Bosch. Bought an 18v cordless strimmer on the basis that I have several 18v bosch tools and batteries but the 18v garden range uses different 18v batteries. Had to buy a battery and charger. PITA as the run time on these things is quite short so having 4 X 18v batteries would have solved that problem.
I do have a Stihl Kombi engine with its associated strimmer but thought the cordless would have been handy for the small quick jobs. Gave it to SWMBO to play with
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 10:53, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 09:18, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

I understand the 4Ah battery was introduced in 2014. So I would guess
that is the approx date of the change.

I have yet to experience this "battery block"

And generally you should not see it unless a battery is on its last legs
or is abused in some way. However draining one "too far" might do it.
Generally the BMS ought to deal with that, but usually it will
co-operate with the tool, so without that comms it may not handle all
situations as well.

I use a couple of adaptors to allow me to run my old NiMh tools from the
LXT batts. The same situation exists there. So far I have not had a
problem, but then again I don't run bats down to the "last drop" anyway.

I wonder if one of those lesser 1.5ah "look like LXT but actually
not" is afoot....

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

Yerss. The 1.5ah *lookalikes* were sold as part of cheaper B&Q
style makita drill kits - they look like shallower LXT batts but
aren't & don't fit - G series rings a bell...

G series is a different battery platform altogether. They are aimed at
non pro use, and are all only 1.3Ah

https://www.makitauk.com/g-series

No amount of fettling will get that into a LXT platform tool!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 10:53, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 09:18, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

And generally you should not see it unless a battery is on its last snip

By "battery block" I meant (as per the op) the inability to get a
makita LXT battery to fit into a makita LXT tool.

I use a couple of adaptors to allow me to run my old NiMh tools from the
LXT batts. The same situation exists there. So far I have not had a
problem, but then again I don't run bats down to the "last drop" anyway.

Yes I do similar with an older combi drill & impact drive, nor do
I "use them until they stop". The 5ah batts have a handy power
level led meter on the each battery which helps avoid such cock
ups.

I wonder if one of those lesser 1.5ah "look like LXT but actually
not" is afoot....

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

Yerss. The 1.5ah *lookalikes* were sold as part of cheaper B&Q
style makita drill kits - they look like shallower LXT batts but
aren't & don't fit - G series rings a bell...

G series is a different battery platform altogether. They are aimed at
non pro use, and are all only 1.3Ah

https://www.makitauk.com/g-series

No amount of fettling will get that into a LXT platform tool!

Maybe it was another one then.

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

Not quite, I have a BL1820B (2Ah) bought last year to have a small/light
one for the impact driver, and I think they used to make a BL1815N
(1.5Ah) too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
John Rumm wrote:

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

Not quite, I have a BL1820B (2Ah) bought last year to have a small/light
one for the impact driver, and I think they used to make a BL1815N
(1.5Ah) too.

They did indeed.
Available s/h on eBay if anyone really wants one :-)
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 14:01, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 10:53, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 20/10/2020 09:18, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

Unless your tools are very early LXT ones, then you wont. Models
starting with a D will run on any battery,

G series is a different battery platform altogether. They are aimed at
non pro use, and are all only 1.3Ah

https://www.makitauk.com/g-series

No amount of fettling will get that into a LXT platform tool!

Maybe it was another one then.

You can get third party batteries in the makita format. They usually
lack much in the way of battery protection anyway, and will probably fit
all tools.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 16:51, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

Not quite, I have a BL1820B (2Ah) bought last year to have a small/light
one for the impact driver, and I think they used to make a BL1815N
(1.5Ah) too.

I sit corrected... it looks like they have actually introduced new lower
capacity cells.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/BL1820B

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2020 00:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

There's no chance the owner will buy a new saw so if I advise her to get
the correct replacement I suppose she won't be able to use the charger
for the modern drill battery??

My worry with this type of top handle saw is that they tempt people to
use then one handed and a kickback can then easily rotate the saw around
the one hand and cause damage. The tip guard supplied by Makita is off
the saw because her husband would have used it when climbing with a
harness, the only reason to use a top handle saw.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJH wrote:

if I advise her to get the correct replacement I suppose she won't be
able to use the charger for the modern drill battery??

photos of batteries/charger/tools?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
AJH wrote:

if I advise her to get the correct replacement I suppose she won't be
able to use the charger for the modern drill battery??

photos of batteries/charger/tools?

Or model numbers of batt & charger, we know saw model buc122?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

[...]

Not sure if it would be a problem with the charger - since its the tool
that has an extra tab in the battery slot that prevents the insertion of
the new batteries. The new charger won't have the tab either.

My worry with this type of top handle saw is that they tempt people to
use then one handed and a kickback can then easily rotate the saw around
the one hand and cause damage. The tip guard supplied by Makita is off
the saw because her husband would have used it when climbing with a
harness, the only reason to use a top handle saw.

Yup top handle saws really want to be used with both hands whenever
possible. (in fact there is a good argument to only use them for aerial
work, and switch to a back handle one for any time your feet arr on the
ground).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Not sure if it would be a problem with the charger - since its the tool
that has an extra tab in the battery slot that prevents the insertion of
the new batteries. The new charger won't have the tab either.

I've not seen photos of the "non-star" batteries, but here's how to
adapt tools to let them fit ...

https://youtu.be/SaJ13fUkNV0?t=72

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2020 11:38, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

Not sure if it would be a problem with the charger - since its the
tool that has an extra tab in the battery slot that prevents the
insertion of the new batteries. The new charger won't have the tab
either.

I've not seen photos of the "non-star" batteries, but here's how to
adapt tools to let them fit ...

https://youtu.be/SaJ13fUkNV0?t=72

Yup that will work, although with the caveat of taking care not to over
drain the batteries in case the lack of battery management comms causes
a problem.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Not sure if it would be a problem with the charger - since its the
tool that has an extra tab in the battery slot that prevents the
insertion of the new batteries. The new charger won't have the tab
either.

I've not seen photos of the "non-star" batteries, but here's how to
adapt tools to let them fit ...

https://youtu.be/SaJ13fUkNV0?t=72

Yup that will work, although with the caveat of taking care not to over
drain the batteries in case the lack of battery management comms causes
a problem.

Thanks for that Andy and John, I've passed the link on. As the
modification is only to the saw it's worth trying just to make sure the
saw works before investing in a new battery/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 16:14:41 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

I've just been given a Makita DTW190 impact wrench and mating BL1830B
battery but no charger. I was given it without charger because the
person believes I have a compatible charger (and other battery) but I
can't find it atm.

So, in the meantime I charged the battery using my GP charger and it
now show 4 out of 4 charge LEDs ... and I'm going to 3D print a
charging clip off Thingiverse to make that process more
straightforward.

The multipin connector on the battery looks like it could be a balance
connector of some sort but I couldn't see any voltages on it from a
quick look with the DMM so have to assume the BMS in there looks after
the cell voltage balance itself (not the charger)?

Is there a basic / slow charger out there that's cheap, in case I
can't find the other one (and assuming it's compatible if I do)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've just been given a Makita DTW190 impact wrench and mating BL1830B
battery but no charger. I was given it without charger because the
person believes I have a compatible charger (and other battery) but I
can't find it atm.

So, in the meantime I charged the battery using my GP charger and it
now show 4 out of 4 charge LEDs ... and I'm going to 3D print a
charging clip off Thingiverse to make that process more
straightforward.

The multipin connector on the battery looks like it could be a balance
connector of some sort but I couldn't see any voltages on it from a
quick look with the DMM so have to assume the BMS in there looks after
the cell voltage balance itself (not the charger)?

Is there a basic / slow charger out there that's cheap, in case I
can't find the other one (and assuming it's compatible if I do)?

I don't think I have seen a slow charger for the LXT batts.

Note that these things have temperature monitoring and fan assisted
active cooling as well. The idea being you can take a hot battery
straight off a tool and put it on charge immediately. Whereas with older
charging systems this would be a guaranteed way to knacker a battery in
a fairly short time, its now the recommended thing to do with a hot
battery. The charger will sense when its too hot to charge, and blow
cooling air through it until its down to a safe temperature before it
charges it (and cools while charging and for a time after).

The basic charger is not actually that expensive all things considered:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...18v-li-p148254

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Shame ... if you don't need it in a hurry (or have enough batteries to
carry you over) then I feel slow charging is the better bet.

Note that these things have temperature monitoring and fan assisted
active cooling as well.

Yeah, I think that's what the smaller connector on the battery pack is
for, to pick up the thermistor in the battery.

The idea being you can take a hot battery
straight off a tool and put it on charge immediately. Whereas with older
charging systems this would be a guaranteed way to knacker a battery in
a fairly short time, its now the recommended thing to do with a hot
battery.

Yup, like we used to do with RC car batteries years ago. ;-)

The charger will sense when its too hot to charge, and blow
cooling air through it until its down to a safe temperature before it
charges it (and cools while charging and for a time after).

Cool. ;-)

The basic charger is not actually that expensive all things considered:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...18v-li-p148254

Hmm, given I was given the impact wrench and battery, that makes it
quite expensive, given how often I might use such a tool.

Same with impact drivers (after the last mention of them here),
a(nother) mate gave me his spare one when he went over to a single
brand for things. I tried to use it on some 'tough' screws and all it
did was break the bit (it was probably a cheap / non impact driver bit
etc).

I note there are a few clone Makita chargers for about 20 quid but
I'll wait till I come across the other battery and charger I have
somewhere before buying anything.

I've printed a slide connector clip that was designed to be a diy USB
outlet. I'm going to fit a switch allowing it to be a USB charger and
when flicking the switch, it turn off the USB and connects the battery
to an input for charging on my smart charger (for now anyway).

Cheers, T i m

Aldi - 18V Li-ion Drill and Driver Kit fred UK diy 3 November 27th 14 06:00 PM
Review- Ridgid 18V Li-Ion Drill/Driver Combo -MIKE- Woodworking 0 June 16th 12 02:27 AM
makita 18v lithium (drill) users? patrick mitchel Woodworking 0 January 13th 08 12:24 AM
Makita Lithium Ion B Man Woodworking 7 November 15th 05 07:59 PM
18v Ryobi battery for 18v drill... where to find another... Steve Henderson Home Repair 6 October 4th 04 06:30 AM