Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Makita lithium ion 18V

On 24/10/2020 20:49, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 16:14:41 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

I've just been given a Makita DTW190 impact wrench and mating BL1830B
battery but no charger. I was given it without charger because the
person believes I have a compatible charger (and other battery) but I
can't find it atm.

So, in the meantime I charged the battery using my GP charger and it
now show 4 out of 4 charge LEDs ... and I'm going to 3D print a
charging clip off Thingiverse to make that process more
straightforward.

The multipin connector on the battery looks like it could be a balance
connector of some sort but I couldn't see any voltages on it from a
quick look with the DMM so have to assume the BMS in there looks after
the cell voltage balance itself (not the charger)?

Is there a basic / slow charger out there that's cheap, in case I
can't find the other one (and assuming it's compatible if I do)?

I don't think I have seen a slow charger for the LXT batts.

Note that these things have temperature monitoring and fan assisted
active cooling as well. The idea being you can take a hot battery
straight off a tool and put it on charge immediately. Whereas with older
charging systems this would be a guaranteed way to knacker a battery in
a fairly short time, its now the recommended thing to do with a hot
battery. The charger will sense when its too hot to charge, and blow
cooling air through it until its down to a safe temperature before it
charges it (and cools while charging and for a time after).

The basic charger is not actually that expensive all things considered:

https://www.lawson-his.co.uk/makita-...18v-li-p148254

--
Cheers,

John.