Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Makita lithium ion 18V

On 20/10/2020 09:18, Jimk wrote:
John Rumm Wrote in message:
On 19/10/2020 21:12, AJH wrote:

I thought the advantage of Makita cordeless tools was that they all
shared the same battery type yet when I was presented with a Makita
BUC122 chainsaw with no battery I couldn't fit the one from a drill, it
seemed to start sliding in but then reached a hard stop. Are there
different types of Makita 18V battery fittings?

Yup

There was a time when they introduced the 4Ah and higher capacity
batteries that they made a slight change to the fittings.

IIUC the logic was that the newer batteries used of an extra pin
position to allow more communication between tools and the battery
management system in the new bats. This is not present on the old tools.

(Also the new batts can supply higher peak current, which not all the
old tools may be able to handle)

You can just remove the tab on the tool that blocks the new battery
being inserted - but you will need to take care to not discharge it too
far since the battery monitoring and low voltage cut off won't work, and
you could end up bricking a battery if you take its terminal voltage too
low for the charger to want to charge it.

So moving forward - not an issue, all LXT batts and current tools (like
DUC prefix chainsaws) should play nice together.

Hmmm
The buc122 is listed as LXT so should play with "usual" spec
Makita batteries?

All the batteries carry the LXT name, but the newer ones are marked with
a D and a star. The older LXT tools had model numbers prefixed with B,
and the newer ones D.

I wonder if one of those lesser 1.5ah "look like LXT but actually
not" is afoot....

The smallest LXT batteries are 3Ah

--
Cheers,