Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hot Glue Guns

Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

no

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 12:44:22 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

no

So they're just a gimmick then? Thought so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

no

They are handy in that the glue doesn't go off with storage. Unlike every
other type I have, after part used.

--
*WHY IS IT CALLED TOURIST SEASON IF WE CAN'T SHOOT AT THEM?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

no

They are handy in that the glue doesn't go off with storage. Unlike every
other type I have, after part used.

+1
Also gives almost instant bond.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

Rapid high tack strong waterproof bond. You can get that with other
glues too but it is convenient, fast and the glue sticks don't go off
with age (well they might on a geological timescale).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

no

They are handy in that the glue doesn't go off with storage. Unlike every
other type I have, after part used.

And annoying that the glue sticks intended for different purposes appear
identical, easily mixed up and require you to remember the last job!
Other than that, very useful.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

Never let a child use one. The burns can be awful.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 15:57, williamwright wrote:
On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

Never let a child use one. The burns can be awful.

Bill

Or a child-like adult. It still hertz.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) explained on 18/10/2020 :
They are handy in that the glue doesn't go off with storage. Unlike every
other type I have, after part used.

If what you are glueing will not be damaged by heat, you can reheat
them to adjust after it has cooled/set up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

In my model aircraft hobby they are excellent for gluing servos and
other electronic bits in - they dont come off but can be levered off
with some force. They are excellent for gluing crashed foam aircraft
back together - hot glue is stringer than foam

Not a bad glue for large areas of plastic either.

The glue is fast and gap filling and tacks to almost anything but its
not strong.

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 6:06:05 PM UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

In my model aircraft hobby they are excellent for gluing servos and
other electronic bits in - they dont come off but can be levered off
with some force. They are excellent for gluing crashed foam aircraft
back together - hot glue is stringer than foam

Not a bad glue for large areas of plastic either.

The glue is fast and gap filling and tacks to almost anything but its
not strong.

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

After you have bought an angle grinder, the glue gun is the next purchase.
1001 uses. Today I used my fancy, new to me, industrial glue gun to make a fishbox watertight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

The main advantage from my point of view is that the glue sets and makes
a firm bond as soon as it cools a bit - so you only have to hold the
components in place for a few seconds.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 20:32:12 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

The main advantage from my point of view is that the glue sets and makes
a firm bond as soon as it cools a bit - so you only have to hold the
components in place for a few seconds.

While the excess glue cools on your skin...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom Wrote in message:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

Burn your fingers
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright Wrote in message:
On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

Never let a child use one. The burns can be awful.

Bill

They use them at the local junior!
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

Set in 20 seconds, and form a strong bond that can be separated
relatively easily if required[1].

So when gluing paper / card etc or fabric to timber, you can glue and
move on very quickly.

Also massively useful in a workshop I find, for things like fixing
drawer fronts - a dab of hot melt at each end - push it into the right
place and hold for a few secs, you can now remove/open the draw and
drill / screw though without risk of the position slipping. Or just
fixing a template to something before marking or routing round it.
Same when fixing hinges on boxes - a dab of glue to allow you to
position, but then open the hinge while it stays in place so you can
mark / screw etc.

(hot paint scraper slid between parts, or freezer spay and a sharp tap)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

In my model aircraft hobby they are excellent for gluing servos and
other electronic bits in - they dont come off but can be levered off
with some force. They are excellent for gluing crashed foam aircraft
back together - hot glue is stringer than foam

Not a bad glue for large areas of plastic either.

The glue is fast and gap filling and tacks to almost anything but its
not strong.

Yup good for bodging stuff together when there are gaps (and perhaps
bits missing) - you can use the much like you might use a welder - the
glue behaves as both glue and filler material.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2020 01:46, John Rumm wrote:
On 18/10/2020 12:39, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What can these things do that regular gluing techniques can't?
Just curious....

CD

In my model aircraft hobby they are excellent for gluing servos and
other electronic bits in - they dont come off but can be levered off
with some force. They are excellent for gluing crashed foam aircraft
back together - hot glue is stringer than foam

Not a bad glue for large areas of plastic either.

The glue is fast and gap filling and tacks to almost anything but its
not strong.

Yup good for bodging stuff together when there are gaps (and perhaps
bits missing) - you can use the much like you might use a welder - the
glue behaves as both glue and filler material.

Also you can "pot" electrical connections, e.g. if you have floppy mains
wires. You can do this to "make safe" cracked bits of rigid plastic that
are holding conductors in things like switches. Also for exclusion of
moisture. You need some undamaged surrounding material to provide the
containment and overall strength.

I think the last thing I did this on was a slow cooker where some of the
the switch lugs had cracked so that it wanted to come out of the main body.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 October 2020 at 14:34:46 UTC+1, newshound wrote:
[...]

I had a couple with glitter in them, so I assume you could also add colour to your glue.
So could be used as a filler.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-S18...dp/B07L5C141Z/

Students seem to like to use it or superglue as it's quick setting, you should hear the complaints if they have to wait 10mins for a glue to set.

Hot glue guns... Recommendations please.. jim UK diy 15 January 31st 18 11:17 PM
Advancements in Hot Melt Glue Guns? John Gilmer Home Repair 7 June 24th 07 12:13 PM
Them hot glue guns The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 24 November 15th 06 10:35 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
If Guns Were Outlawed, Only Bad Dogs Would Have Guns Joe Metalworking 0 September 9th 04 07:50 PM