Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Choosing a pod coffee machine?

My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2020 09:56, John Towill wrote:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

Maybe consider the amount of stuff that could be recycled but
ends up in landfill because most people don't bother ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Towill wrote:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

These articles, the lists in them are hardly ever complete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single...ffee_container

But at least you're spared the burden of outright commercial advertising.

The text is a bit tamer than most sources.

If you were to read the article from BusinessInsider,
the "winning entrants" likely paid for their product placement.

Before checking the price of the machines, I'd probably check
the prices of pods, and how much each one makes (a good full
flavored cup, or a thimble of product). For pods that have
multiple sources (the patent has expired), you're likely
to see better pricing.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 09:56:55 +0100, John Towill wrote:

My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

Sit down with a cup of coffee?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Towill Wrote in message:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

I can't see the point of pods unless you run a car showroom.

Buy a matching grinder.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020 at 9:57:01 AM UTC+1, John Towill wrote:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

We have one of these that takes beans.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Ma...c=1&th=1&psc=1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 09:57:01 UTC+1, John Towill wrote:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

Lavazza pods are at least wholly compostable.

And I tend to like their coffee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew laid this down on his screen :
On 13/10/2020 12:39, Graham. wrote:
John Towill Wrote in message:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

I can't see the point of pods unless you run a car showroom.

Buy a matching grinder.

+1

PLus another! They are so expensive and environmentally wasteful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2020 09:56, John Towill wrote:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

By considering that the waste from your coffee isn't compostable
grounds, but a nice mixture of organic waste plastic and metal which
will be in landfill for thousands of years?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 21:44:30 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 13/10/2020 09:56, John Towill wrote:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

By considering that the waste from your coffee isn't compostable
grounds, but a nice mixture of organic waste plastic and metal which
will be in landfill for thousands of years?

Andy

As I just posted, Lavazza pods are wholly compostable - no aluminium. I do not know the substances used but they have been available for some time now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:47:44 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

By considering that the waste from your coffee isn't compostable
grounds, but a nice mixture of organic waste plastic and metal

which
will be in landfill for thousands of years?

As I just posted, Lavazza pods are wholly compostable - no aluminium. I
do not know the substances used but they have been available for some
time now.

Industrial composting not domestic. You need to check if your local
council will accept them in food waste collections. If they don't
you're into taking them to a terracycle drop off point that does.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 22:13:37 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:47:44 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

By considering that the waste from your coffee isn't compostable
grounds, but a nice mixture of organic waste plastic and metal

which
will be in landfill for thousands of years?

As I just posted, Lavazza pods are wholly compostable - no aluminium. I
do not know the substances used but they have been available for some
time now.

Industrial composting not domestic. You need to check if your local
council will accept them in food waste collections. If they don't
you're into taking them to a terracycle drop off point that does.

True - but they are for me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Graham. wrote:

John Towill wrote:

I can't see the point of pods unless you run a car showroom.

Buy a matching grinder.

+1

PLus another! They are so expensive and environmentally wasteful.

A relative bought me a Dolce-Gusto machine, I found I needed several
pods per drink and the range at the time was pretty limited (a glance at
their website shows they have now increased the varieties including some
Starbucks branded ones). I didn't throw it out until she died ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2020 23:28, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 22:13:37 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 13:47:44 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google wrote:

By considering that the waste from your coffee isn't compostable
grounds, but a nice mixture of organic waste plastic and metal

which
will be in landfill for thousands of years?

As I just posted, Lavazza pods are wholly compostable - no aluminium. I
do not know the substances used but they have been available for some
time now.

Industrial composting not domestic. You need to check if your local
council will accept them in food waste collections. If they don't
you're into taking them to a terracycle drop off point that does.

True - but they are for me.

The problem here being that since they don't actually tell you what
they're made of (only that they meet a certain standard) you may have
trouble finding out if they're OK.

I'll stick to paper filters.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/10/2020 12:39, Graham. wrote:
John Towill Wrote in message:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

I can't see the point of pods unless you run a car showroom.

Buy a matching grinder.

Beans to cup, for me, every time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/10/2020 10:11, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 14 Oct 2020 08:08:26 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Andrew wrote:

Graham. wrote:

John Towill wrote:

I can't see the point of pods unless you run a car showroom.

Buy a matching grinder.

+1

PLus another! They are so expensive and environmentally wasteful.

A relative bought me a Dolce-Gusto machine, I found I needed several
pods per drink and the range at the time was pretty limited (a glance at
their website shows they have now increased the varieties including some
Starbucks branded ones). I didn't throw it out until she died ...

That just highlights the downsides (on top of the environmental ones) of
pod machines. You are at the mercy of manufacturers to make the pods, and
even then you're limited to what you like from an already artificially
narrow range.

Doesn't really compare to a decent B2C machine that will take the
universal coffee "bean" system.

+1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound posted
On 13/10/2020 12:39, Graham. wrote:
John Towill Wrote in message:
My head is spinning, there are so many options and so much advice. Where
to start?

I can't see the point of pods unless you run a car showroom.
Buy a matching grinder.

Beans to cup, for me, every time.

Don't they tend to be expensive?

Nespresso pod machines are fairly cheap and lot less messy too.
Bellaroma Ristretto pods from Aldi are only 14p each and make excellent
coffee.

--
Algernon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Algernon Goss-Custard wrote:

newshound wrote:

Beans to cup, for me, every time.

Don't they tend to be expensive?

There's a place in nottingham where I bought my own and my parents'
Delonghi B2C machines (factory return/refurbs) for not much over Β£100
each, but they only seem to seem spares now ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/gtaelectricsnottingham/Delonghi-Home-Appliances/_i.html?_storecat=8
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 October 2020 22:03:46 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

This statement - and variants - is widespread:

"According to Lavazza, its new compostable pods break down in just six months when combined with food waste for council collection."

I can't remember the exact words I saw when they first came out, but that is the message I picked up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:53:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

Beans to cup, for me, every time.

OOI, can you remember when you first got a taste for coffee?

I though the British were renown for the love of tea and tea drinking
and only 'the foreigners' (especially the Yanks and Italians?) drunk
coffee? ;-)

I can't remember having coffee at home (although we probably did) but
neither my parents, the In-laws or we have ever had any specific
coffee making paraphernalia, outside a jar of instant and a spoon
(AFAIK/CR). ;-)

We have been given the chemistry set stuff when round other peoples
houses but would generally ask for instant if the alternative meant
waiting for them to get it all going. Same in a cafe.

So I still 'enjoy' a mug of tea and will 'have' a cup of coffee for a
change (and it's 'ok').

The guy next door loves his coffee (one of those who seems to need it
to function) as I'm reminded, every time I notice the back between our
houses flooded and I clear his drain out. ;-(

That's put me in the mood for a mug of tea and one of my home made
vegan rock cakes. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 21:12:45 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:53:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

[...]

I certainly remember us getting ground coffee delivered from a company in Portsmouth - to Berlin. Back in the very early 1960s. We had some sort of percolator with a glass "dome".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:37:32 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

I certainly remember us getting ground coffee delivered from a company in Portsmouth - to Berlin. Back in the very early 1960s. We had some sort of percolator with a glass "dome".

I think I can remember it being much more expensive (than tea) and
therefore possibly used more sparingly?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 22:30:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:37:32 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

I certainly remember us getting ground coffee delivered from a company in Portsmouth - to Berlin. Back in the very early 1960s. We had some sort of percolator with a glass "dome".

I think I can remember it being much more expensive (than tea) and
therefore possibly used more sparingly?

Cheers, T i m

Afraid I can't remember how much coffee my parents used!

They also got tea delivered - which is why I feel as if I have always known of Broken Orange Pekoe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Oct 2020 at 21:37:32 BST, "polygonum_on_google"
wrote:

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 21:12:45 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:53:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

[...]

?Cona

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/233122624730

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 21:12:45 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:53:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

[...]

No - I meant a small dome on a metal lid. Something like this:

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/8528...-pot-stainless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:53:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

Beans to cup, for me, every time.

OOI, can you remember when you first got a taste for coffee?

I though the British were renown for the love of tea and tea drinking
and only 'the foreigners' (especially the Yanks and Italians?) drunk
coffee? ;-)

I still remember being told in a restaurant that I couldn't have coffee in
the afternoon, It appeared that I'd asked for something terribly naughty -
or foreign. This was in the 1960s.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 21:12:45 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:53:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

[...]

Oh yes, so you could see it bubbling over. I remember those too.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:04:40 -0700, polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 22:30:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:37:32 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

I certainly remember us getting ground coffee delivered from a company
in Portsmouth - to Berlin. Back in the very early 1960s. We had some
sort of percolator with a glass "dome".

I think I can remember it being much more expensive (than tea) and
therefore possibly used more sparingly?

Cheers, T i m

Afraid I can't remember how much coffee my parents used!

500g every fortnight

They also got tea delivered - which is why I feel as if I have always
known of Broken Orange Pekoe.

There used to be a chain of shops: "Importers" with a branch in Ealing
(just near the Green) that roasted coffee on the premises and had every
variety you could think of, plus tea from averywhere. Sadly all gone.

ISTR a branch just outside Waterloo Station.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 11:28, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 08:52:05 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:53:12 +0100, newshound
wrote:

snip

Beans to cup, for me, every time.

OOI, can you remember when you first got a taste for coffee?

I though the British were renown for the love of tea and tea drinking
and only 'the foreigners' (especially the Yanks and Italians?) drunk
coffee? ;-)

I still remember being told in a restaurant that I couldn't have coffee
in the afternoon, It appeared that I'd asked for something terribly
naughty -
or foreign. This was in the 1960s.

Sounds about right. People witter on about the 60s and 70s like a ****ing
golden age ...

It was .... if you 'worked' for British Leyland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 11:23, Jethro_uk wrote:
Tea came later and was cheaper than coffee - and easier to source as the
Empire expanded.

Tea was an expensive luxury when the Chinese would not sell it to us.
Then some plants were smuggled out and planted in India and the rest
is history.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2020 19:52, polygonum_on_google wrote:
[...]

well I have made my mine up. I like the idea Of bean to pod, but a
far to expensive. I am going for the Tassimo pod, "Happy by name and I
hope by nature. I do not feel that I have enough time on this earth to
get value from the bean version. Sorry to all you environmentalists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 16:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
Roasting coffee is a smell on a par with baking bread for yumminess.

Guildford - 'Importers' at the top of the high street and 'Friary Meux'
brewery at the bottom - was a smell to remember forever.

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 10:23:26 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 21:12:43 +0100, T i m wrote:

I though the British were renown for the love of tea and tea drinking
and only 'the foreigners' (especially the Yanks and Italians?) drunk
coffee? ;-)

That's because you know **** all about history.

Sorry, are you 'a foreigner' and/or did you just miss the smiley?

Irrespective of your left-brainer reply to my lighthearted comment,
the British *are* (stereotypically) known for their tea drinking.

snip history lesson

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 13:55:34 +0100, John Towill
wrote:

snip

well I have made my mine up. I like the idea Of bean to pod, but a
far to expensive. I am going for the Tassimo pod, "Happy by name and I
hope by nature. I do not feel that I have enough time on this earth to
get value from the bean version. Sorry to all you environmentalists.

Why the 'sorry', do you live elsewhere to the rest of us then? ;-)

I mean, it's the environment we all live in you are talking about so
you will be polluting it for yourself?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/10/2020 16:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
Roasting coffee is a smell on a par with baking bread for yumminess.

Guildford - 'Importers' at the top of the high street and 'Friary Meux'
brewery at the bottom - was a smell to remember forever.

I thought that Importers had been in the High Street, I knew there was a
coffee merchant. Premises are now a barbers - where I go.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 18:40, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/10/2020 16:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
Roasting coffee is a smell on a par with baking bread for yumminess.

Guildford - 'Importers' at the top of the high street and 'Friary Meux'
brewery at the bottom - was a smell to remember forever.

I thought that Importers had been in the High Street, I knew there was a
coffee merchant. Premises are now a barbers - where I go.

I think it was 165 High Street, yes. Friary Meux was where the new
arcade is...

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 16:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 18 Oct 2020 11:58:54 +0100, charles wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 15:04:40 -0700, polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Saturday, 17 October 2020 22:30:57 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 13:37:32 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

I certainly remember us getting ground coffee delivered from a
company in Portsmouth - to Berlin. Back in the very early 1960s. We
had some sort of percolator with a glass "dome".

I think I can remember it being much more expensive (than tea) and
therefore possibly used more sparingly?

Cheers, T i m

Afraid I can't remember how much coffee my parents used!

500g every fortnight

They also got tea delivered - which is why I feel as if I have always
known of Broken Orange Pekoe.

There used to be a chain of shops: "Importers" with a branch in Ealing
(just near the Green) that roasted coffee on the premises and had every
variety you could think of, plus tea from averywhere. Sadly all gone.

ISTR a branch just outside Waterloo Station.

Not sure if they were a London/SE or national chain.

Roasting coffee is a smell on a par with baking bread for yumminess.

Can somebody explain to me why coffee when roasted or made into a drink
always smells like its on fire or very burnt/smouldering?

Cat poo and pee actually smells nicer!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 October 2020 18:00:06 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/10/2020 16:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
Roasting coffee is a smell on a par with baking bread for yumminess.

Guildford - 'Importers' at the top of the high street and 'Friary Meux'
brewery at the bottom - was a smell to remember forever.

Certainly was. You could sometimes smell the mashing from the train on the other side of the tunnel towards Godalming.

Used to have similar in Cardiff from Brains.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/10/2020 18:40, charles wrote:
In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/10/2020 16:24, Jethro_uk wrote:
Roasting coffee is a smell on a par with baking bread for yumminess.

Guildford - 'Importers' at the top of the high street and 'Friary Meux'
brewery at the bottom - was a smell to remember forever.

I thought that Importers had been in the High Street, I knew there was a
coffee merchant. Premises are now a barbers - where I go.

I think it was 165 High Street, yes. Friary Meux was where the new
arcade is...

and called The Friary Centre

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Breville BKC700XL (Keurig pod expresso machine) reset? Amanda Ripanykhazova Home Repair 13 February 8th 13 10:32 PM
POD again Old Nick Woodworking 0 July 2nd 04 03:36 PM
POD Old Nick Woodworking 0 July 2nd 04 03:35 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 January 4th 04 07:25 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Metalworking 1 December 15th 03 05:36 AM