Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl - Parkside Bench Pillar Drill

I notice that Lidl are offering a new bench pillar drill as of 15/10/2020.

Parkside Bench Pillar Drill with Electronic Speed Control
£ 149.00
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...ol/p35960?ar=5

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/pb...000-v100026581

I'd be interested in any opinions - either now or from anyone who buys one!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 11:10:46 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I notice that Lidl are offering a new bench pillar drill as of 15/10/2020.

Ho-ho - and Aldi!

Scheppach Digital Pillar Drill
https://www.aldi.co.uk/scheppach-dig...02507404485800
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2020 11:10, polygonum_on_google wrote:

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

Possibly the only commonality is the colour of the plastic parts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 11:49:02 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
On 11/10/2020 11:10, polygonum_on_google wrote:

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

Possibly the only commonality is the colour of the plastic parts

I meant in terms of ideas/concept rather than physically.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/10/2020 11:10, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I notice that Lidl are offering a new bench pillar drill as of 15/10/2020.

Parkside Bench Pillar Drill with Electronic Speed Control
£ 149.00
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...ol/p35960?ar=5

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/pb...000-v100026581

I'd be interested in any opinions - either now or from anyone who buys one!

I bought (a similar) one when it was £60. It seemed a good idea at the
time, although I have barely used it.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/par...n-lidl-3508576

Whilst it's a Bosch look-alike, I'm not convinced it's the same quality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
I notice that Lidl are offering a new bench pillar drill as of 15/10/2020.

Parkside Bench Pillar Drill with Electronic Speed Control
£ 149.00
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...ol/p35960?ar=5

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/pb...000-v100026581

I'd be interested in any opinions - either now or from anyone who buys one!

,....

Maybe I'm missing something but neither seem to mention the maximum throat depth

Which appears to be small as compared with more conventional drill stands.

The base is aluminium and is designed to be screwed into a bench. While the
composition of the pillar - ideally solid steel - is unknown. Inconvenient as it may be
transport/display/sales wise, sheer weight is a useful quality in stationary
power tools.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2020 11:10, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I notice that Lidl are offering a new bench pillar drill as of 15/10/2020.

Parkside Bench Pillar Drill with Electronic Speed Control
£ 149.00
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...ol/p35960?ar=5

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/pb...000-v100026581

I'd be interested in any opinions - either now or from anyone who buys one!

Much depends on what kind of wok you need to do - it has quite a small
capacity by the looks of it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Rumm wrote:
On 11/10/2020 11:10, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I notice that Lidl are offering a new bench pillar drill as of 15/10/2020.

Parkside Bench Pillar Drill with Electronic Speed Control
£ 149.00
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...ol/p35960?ar=5

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/pb...000-v100026581

I'd be interested in any opinions - either now or from anyone who buys one!

Much depends on what kind of wok you need to do - it has quite a small
capacity by the looks of it.

I have the older fixed motor speed one. It replaced a B&Q Performance
Power one which broke the trades description act as the one thing it
didn't have was power. Easy to stall on the lowest gear when using a hole
saw, etc. The Lidl one is fine power wise - a much larger induction motor.
But was smaller from chuck to bed. So made one out of the two - the pillar
being the same diameter.

It's given sterling service - especially at the low price. Only real
complaint is the on/off switch. If you don't push the off switch firmly,
it doesn't latch on.

Looking at the latest one, I'd like a review from a trusted source before
buying, since it's very different to a traditional pillar drill.

-

--
*Most people have more than the average number of legs*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 11 October 2020 16:25:15 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/10/2020 11:10, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I notice that Lidl are offering a new bench pillar drill as of 15/10/2020.

Parkside Bench Pillar Drill with Electronic Speed Control
£ 149.00
https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/diy/park...ol/p35960?ar=5

Obviously derived from the Bosch PBD-40. (Or dreived from the same common source.)

https://www.bosch-diy.com/gb/en/p/pb...000-v100026581

I'd be interested in any opinions - either now or from anyone who buys one!

Much depends on what kind of wok you need to do - it has quite a small
capacity by the looks of it.

Chow mein? :-)

Yes - it does look limited in that regard. I was in half a mind to remount the drilling bit somehow.