Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Covering dark paint

Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

It took years to realise the mistake ? :-)

Try stain-block paint.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 October 2020 22:31:25 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:

Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

White undercoat is designed to be thick on TiO2, may get better/quicker coverage that way.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What is the coving made of? A lot of mine is polystyrene, and in one room
there had been a water leak leaving a brownish hue. it was a difficult thing
to cover. As you say many coats of emulsion did, in the end fix it.
Hopefully its not come back I'd never know!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

What is the coving made of? A lot of mine is polystyrene, and in one
room there had been a water leak leaving a brownish hue. it was a
difficult thing to cover. As you say many coats of emulsion did, in
the end fix it. Hopefully its not come back I'd never know!

Brian

It is not polystyrene - Plaster sections. I have polystyrene in another
room - I think the builder "forgot" to do it - so I did .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 October 2020 17:03:38 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

3 coats of any decent emulsion will cover anything for far less.

The right paint will get that to 2 coats. At a pinch I've managed 1 coat, but not with emulsion.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive Arthur Wrote in message:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

On coving? Rriigghhtt.....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

Whoosh
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2020 10:39, JohnP wrote:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

Exactly. I've repainted most of this house last year and 3 (fairly thin
rolled on) coats was what it took to achieve a color change of any sort.

So even if you start with white it will show through 2 coats.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2020 10:39, JohnP wrote:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

"We" wanted. Do you mean indoor management wanted ?