DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Covering dark paint (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/680786-covering-dark-paint.html)

JohnP October 9th 20 10:31 PM

Covering dark paint

Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Andrew[_22_] October 9th 20 11:29 PM

Covering dark paint

On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

It took years to realise the mistake ? :-)

Try stain-block paint.

[email protected] October 10th 20 01:01 AM

Covering dark paint

On Friday, 9 October 2020 22:31:25 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:

Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

White undercoat is designed to be thick on TiO2, may get better/quicker coverage that way.

NT

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) October 10th 20 07:59 AM

Covering dark paint

What is the coving made of? A lot of mine is polystyrene, and in one room
there had been a water leak leaving a brownish hue. it was a difficult thing
to cover. As you say many coats of emulsion did, in the end fix it.
Hopefully its not come back I'd never know!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
. ..

JohnP October 10th 20 10:18 AM

Covering dark paint

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

What is the coving made of? A lot of mine is polystyrene, and in one
room there had been a water leak leaving a brownish hue. it was a
difficult thing to cover. As you say many coats of emulsion did, in
the end fix it. Hopefully its not come back I'd never know!

Brian

It is not polystyrene - Plaster sections. I have polystyrene in another
room - I think the builder "forgot" to do it - so I did .

Clive Arthur[_2_] October 10th 20 12:25 PM

Covering dark paint

On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

--
Cheers
Clive

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 10th 20 05:03 PM

Covering dark paint

On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

[email protected] October 10th 20 11:38 PM

Covering dark paint

On Saturday, 10 October 2020 17:03:38 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

3 coats of any decent emulsion will cover anything for far less.

The right paint will get that to 2 coats. At a pinch I've managed 1 coat, but not with emulsion.

NT

Jimk October 11th 20 01:21 AM

Covering dark paint

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Jimk October 11th 20 01:21 AM

Covering dark paint

Clive Arthur Wrote in message:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow &
Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few coats
of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

On coving? Rriigghhtt.....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

JohnP October 11th 20 10:39 AM

Covering dark paint

Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

Jimk October 11th 20 11:01 AM

Covering dark paint

JohnP Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

Whoosh
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] October 11th 20 03:17 PM

Covering dark paint

On 11/10/2020 10:39, JohnP wrote:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

Exactly. I've repainted most of this house last year and 3 (fairly thin
rolled on) coats was what it took to achieve a color change of any sort.

So even if you start with white it will show through 2 coats.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain

Andrew[_22_] October 12th 20 12:22 PM

Covering dark paint

On 11/10/2020 10:39, JohnP wrote:
Jimk wrote in
o.uk:

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 10/10/2020 12:25, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 09/10/2020 22:31, JohnP wrote:
Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green
(Farrow & Ball).
SWMBO now wants it a light beige.

Any tips for blocking out the green before the beige. Is just a few
coats of white emulsion the only way?

Lining paper?

three coats of F & B emulsion will cover anything

As long as it's the same colour? :-D

It took about 3 coats to get the deep matt green we wanted at the time.

"We" wanted. Do you mean indoor management wanted ?