Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacement O rings

Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the
required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they
had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 9:23:52 PM UTC+1, bert wrote:
Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the
required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they
had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.
--
bert

Try ebay for an 'O' ring set. You'll get a selectiob for very little money
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2020 21:14, bert wrote:
Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the
required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they
had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.

The dimensions of the one that you are trying to replace?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2020 09:18, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 9:23:52 PM UTC+1, bert wrote:
Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the
required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they
had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.
--
bert

Try ebay for an 'O' ring set. You'll get a selectiob for very little money

True but IME they normally contain "thinner" rings and often don't have
a good match for existing ones.

If you are missing the ring altogether, your replacement should have a
bore close to the depth of the groove (slightly loose is OK), a
thickness close to the width of the groove, and it should stick out
slightly when it is in position.

They normally come in integral metric sizes, if you see what I mean.
(Same applies to imperial).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

fred wrote:

Try ebay for an 'O' ring set. You'll get a selectiob for very little
money

True but IME they normally contain "thinner" rings and often don't have
a good match for existing ones.
They normally come in integral metric sizes

I find pressure washers need sizes that are not in the selection boxes,
and they're picky to 0.1mm, too small leaks, too big refuses to connect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2020 09:18, fred wrote:
On Wednesday, October 7, 2020 at 9:23:52 PM UTC+1, bert wrote:
Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the
required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they
had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.
--
bert

Try ebay for an 'O' ring set. You'll get a selectiob for very little money

You get a selection but often when you need one you find that they are
too thin. Although I have found a use for many in a set its always one
or two sizes that are used most.

Inside and outside diameter are the important parameters, assuming a
round cross section of the ring

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 10:45:38 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

I find pressure washers need sizes that are not in the selection boxes,

I think you need both metric and imperial sets to be covered.

and they're picky to 0.1mm, too small leaks, too big refuses to connect.

I find that with all O rings, which is where having the two sets is
useful. 6mm v 1/4" sort of thing...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2020 21:14:23, bert wrote:
Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the
required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and they
had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.

There may well be charts but I have gone by diameter and thickness as
being the two defining measurements.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/...d=41&chapter=6
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2020 14:51, Fredxx wrote:
On 07/10/2020 21:14:23, bert wrote:
Is there by any chance a simple rule of thumb for calculating the
required size of a replacement o ring? I l looked up a supplier and
they had a chart which seemed horribly complicated.

There may well be charts but I have gone by diameter and thickness as
being the two defining measurements.
Â* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/...d=41&chapter=6

Correct, two dimensions and the material are the only parameters. OD
follows from ID and thickness/cross section. The latter is sometimes
called "chord".