Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 13A induction hob

I'm ready to order a hob...

I thought I needed a 13A hob, but it turns out I can tweak my plans and
get whatever I like.

If I stick to the original brief and get a 13A one, are they effective
enough? Has anyone got one and has real life experience?

I can't imagine hammering all 4 rings on full at once.

TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cobolt sell portable talking single and double induction hobs, so they would
not seel them if they did not work.
Both are on a 13A plug, so the double one has to be less than half that
rating.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
I'm ready to order a hob...

I thought I needed a 13A hob, but it turns out I can tweak my plans and
get whatever I like.

If I stick to the original brief and get a 13A one, are they effective
enough? Has anyone got one and has real life experience?

I can't imagine hammering all 4 rings on full at once.

TIA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 11:15, R D S wrote:
I'm ready to order a hob...

I thought I needed a 13A hob, but it turns out I can tweak my plans and
get whatever I like.

If I stick to the original brief and get a 13A one, are they effective
enough? Has anyone got one and has real life experience?

Not a 13 amp one but it can exceed the load on its socket

I can't imagine hammering all 4 rings on full at once.

Usually you can't if doing so would exceed 13amps. So mine will adjust
the power to stay within the feed capacity. It might be worth
downloading the installation manual and checking. Some can be configured
in various ways...

TIA.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2020 12:59, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cobolt sell portable talking single and double induction hobs, so they would
not seel them if they did not work.

That doesn't always follow. They may well work FSV of "work".

Both are on a 13A plug, so the double one has to be less than half that
rating.
Brian

An oven on a 13A plug these days is easy since they are fantastically
well insulated and recirculate the hot air.

A hob is much more of a challenge since it is putting heat into a pan
and the success or otherwise depends to on the base of the pan and the
peak power that the hob can deliver. 13A only gives you a total of 3kW
to play with which might be enough to simmer something on every ring but
you are not going to be able to stir fry at the same time!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 6 October 2020 12:59:47 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
I'm ready to order a hob...

I thought I needed a 13A hob, but it turns out I can tweak my plans and
get whatever I like.

If I stick to the original brief and get a 13A one, are they effective
enough? Has anyone got one and has real life experience?

I can't imagine hammering all 4 rings on full at once.

TIA.

Cobolt sell portable talking single and double induction hobs, so they would
not seel them if they did not work.

Plenty of retail products don't really work

Both are on a 13A plug, so the double one has to be less than half that
rating.
Brian

not at all. Rings are very often 1.5kW or less. When total ring power adds up to 240v 13A they're wired so that the lowest priority rings only get power when the others aren't using it all. It sort-of works.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 7 October 2020 13:16:08 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/10/2020 12:59, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

Cobolt sell portable talking single and double induction hobs, so they would
not seel them if they did not work.

That doesn't always follow. They may well work FSV of "work".

Both are on a 13A plug, so the double one has to be less than half that
rating.
Brian

An oven on a 13A plug these days is easy since they are fantastically
well insulated and recirculate the hot air.

A hob is much more of a challenge since it is putting heat into a pan
and the success or otherwise depends to on the base of the pan and the
peak power that the hob can deliver. 13A only gives you a total of 3kW
to play with which might be enough to simmer something on every ring but
you are not going to be able to stir fry at the same time!

500w is enough for a medium simmer, that would be 2kW total, so no problem to stir fry something as well. I used to have a 500w cooking ring!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2020 13:16, Martin Brown wrote:
On 06/10/2020 12:59, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Cobolt sell portable talking single and double induction hobs, so they
would
not seel them if they did not work.

That doesn't always follow. They may well work FSV of "work".

Â* Both are on a 13A plug, so the double one has to be less than half that
rating.
Â* Brian

An oven on a 13A plug these days is easy since they are fantastically
well insulated and recirculate the hot air.

A hob is much more of a challenge since it is putting heat into a pan
and the success or otherwise depends to on the base of the pan and the
peak power that the hob can deliver. 13A only gives you a total of 3kW
to play with which might be enough to simmer something on every ring but
you are not going to be able to stir fry at the same time!

Well I've had a double 'burner' induction for a few years. It has been
OK to be fair,
Decided to get a full power one though for 4 burners and connected it up
to 6mm.

I'm glad I did, it works exceptionally well and as you say 3kw isn't
much to spread across the 4.
What did it was a review I read about a plug and play one that said it
was about as much use as a camping stove. I spend enough time in the
kitchen as it is!