Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I need more drop on this soil pipe...

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 10:09:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I hate to say it, but if its a hard water area, you may have massive
scaling in the U bend.

It's a new pan, think it would have to be a *very* hard water area to
get enough scale/urea buildup to significantly affect the flush in
less than a year.

Of course with the standards of plumbing work show recently plumber
could well have installed new pan onto partially blocked by scale old
pipe without removing scale first...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Oct 2020 10:39:04 +0100, R D S wrote:

A greater drop beyond the U bend wont fix that.

Of course it won't, what am I thinking? What a waste of a thread

But a simple 'long drop' would work! Probably not acceptable though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2020 03:21, Paul wrote:
One thing to do, is compare your recollection of "how well"
the toilet used to flush years ago (just flushing water, look
at swirl pattern and velocity), versus today. If the bowl
drains slightly slower than it used to, with nothing but
water present, you have to figure out why.

We only took the building on a few years ago and there was no WC installed.
The underground plumbing in the yard is only around 5 years old.

The reason I feel like there needs to be more drop is that the flush is
quite slow to drain when it is just water. But as has been pointed out
that would make no difference to a blockage at the U bend.

Perhaps there's an impediment elsewhere in the pipework or the loo is
just poorly designed.

I need to inspect more of the pipe internals. Joy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 20:35, charles wrote:
Bronco? or San Izal?

Is that the glossy stuff they had in school?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/10/2020 13:54, R D S wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15T9...ew?usp=sharing

The recently added upstairs loo at work is attached to a run of soil
pipe approx 7 foot long and almost horizontal.

My thick son has blocked it numerous times now, it's getting past a joke
but partly in his defence there's little suction (siphon?) when it's
flushed.

So several questions...

I affected a repair a while ago to sort a blockage which i've been
meaning to improve upon, so could relatively easily pull the lot apart
and reconfigure it?
Shall I just try to get more run on it or put a bit of vertical in where
it emerges from the wall?

Is it OK to ration bog roll to people going to the loo?

When/if he has kids of his own might there be some hope that he'll use a
rational amount of roll?

I am repeating something I said a while back.

I was once asked, if I got **** on my arm, would I be happy with just
using paper to remove it? My answer, no. Therefore, one piece to remove
most, then a warm wet rag to clean up. Wash it and hang.

And for those that think **** is poison, wrong. It may well be a toxin
if eaten but what isn't when in certain amounts.

Ray.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd not depend on people using bog roll economically, just be thankful we
are not all using torn up newspaper any more!

I obviously cannot see your picture, so I'll not give any advice, but
wherever there is fairly narrow piping at a shallow angle and maybe with
sharp bends it almost always bungs up at some point!
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15T9...ew?usp=sharing

The recently added upstairs loo at work is attached to a run of soil pipe
approx 7 foot long and almost horizontal.

My thick son has blocked it numerous times now, it's getting past a joke
but partly in his defence there's little suction (siphon?) when it's
flushed.

So several questions...

I affected a repair a while ago to sort a blockage which i've been meaning
to improve upon, so could relatively easily pull the lot apart and
reconfigure it?
Shall I just try to get more run on it or put a bit of vertical in where
it emerges from the wall?

Is it OK to ration bog roll to people going to the loo?

When/if he has kids of his own might there be some hope that he'll use a
rational amount of roll?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 01/10/2020 16:14, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 01/10/2020 13:54, R D S wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/15T9...ew?usp=sharing

The recently added upstairs loo at work is attached to a run of soil
pipe approx 7 foot long and almost horizontal.

My thick son has blocked it numerous times now, it's getting past a
joke but partly in his defence there's little suction (siphon?) when
it's flushed.

So several questions...

I affected a repair a while ago to sort a blockage which i've been
meaning to improve upon, so could relatively easily pull the lot apart
and reconfigure it?
Shall I just try to get more run on it or put a bit of vertical in
where it emerges from the wall?

Is it OK to ration bog roll to people going to the loo?

When/if he has kids of his own might there be some hope that he'll use
a rational amount of roll?

You don't need much drop - raise the bog up on a platform, a couple of
inches minimum.

one in a hundred minimum. one in sixty probably optimal
over 7 feet that's only an inch drop

Er no - 1" over 5ft is 1 in 60...

--
Jimk