Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trenching cost

In article ,
Jimk wrote:
Ah - you invent your own words, then?

Yerss yours is a contraction ... of Duh {implying stupidity} & (da)ve
- geddit yet Duhve?

Ah - right. Something else you've invented. Try looking up how and when
'duh' is used.

You're too far gone for the men in the white coats. A consultant in a suit
would be more to the point. But he would need to be very good indeed to
diagnose you.

--
*I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 09:51, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 08:33:58 +0100, michael adams wrote:

If this is cut into 30 1 metre lengths that gives a 5 x 6 bundle

of
I mtr pipe lengths,Â* Which will be 5 X 32mm = 152mm on one side
and 6x 32mm = 192mm on the other side.

Although as always I stand to be corrected

5 X 32mm = 160 mm might be a start. But you get the general
idea.

and clearly the actual volume will be somewhat smaller.

Maybe, depends on how well compacted the backfilling of the disturbed
soil from the trench is and probably what that soil type is. I can
imagine compacting a heavy clay is somewhat harder than a lighter
sandier soil.

Groundworks contractor I use reckons dug soil bulks by a factor of 3
(Herts.) Clearly returned soil will be partly re-compacted.

For clay soils you usually see bulking factors between 20% - 40%. So if
its compacted well on the way back in, you ought not have that much
spoil to clear.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 06:26, David wrote:

"Theo"Â* wrote in message ...

Any ideas roughly what it would cost (in Cambridgeshire, heavy clay) to dig
about 15m of trench to a depth of 1m, bury insulated water pipes and some
SWA, backfill and put paving slabs on top?

Beyond 'hire a mini digger and DIY', where I'd probably spend most of the
time failing to drive the digger...

Thanks
Theo

Hire a "Ditch Witch" or similar trenching machine. Most plant hire
places will have one.

https://www.ditchwitch.co.uk/products-hire.php

But does it have to be as deep as 1 metre? Most trenches are 18" to 24",

Yup, that does seem a bit excessive...

and if you laying paving slaps over it the cable/pipes are going to be
protected.

Some of the bigger walk behind trenchers can get down to ~1m with a 5 -
6" trench.

e.g:

https://www.ditchwitch.co.uk/walk-be...ehind-trencher

(hire shops will do that kind of thing for £120/day (plus delivery and
collection fees usually)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 21/09/2020 09:51, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 08:33:58 +0100, michael adams wrote:

If this is cut into 30 1 metre lengths that gives a 5 x 6 bundle
of
I mtr pipe lengths,* Which will be 5 X 32mm = 152mm on one side
and 6x 32mm = 192mm on the other side.

Although as always I stand to be corrected

5 X 32mm = 160 mm might be a start. But you get the general
idea.

and clearly the actual volume will be somewhat smaller.

Maybe, depends on how well compacted the backfilling of the disturbed
soil from the trench is and probably what that soil type is. I can
imagine compacting a heavy clay is somewhat harder than a lighter
sandier soil.

Groundworks contractor I use reckons dug soil bulks by a factor of 3
(Herts.) Clearly returned soil will be partly re-compacted.

For clay soils you usually see bulking factors between 20% - 40%. So if
its compacted well on the way back in, you ought not have that much
spoil to clear.

The Romanian builders on a nearby site watered their backfill!
Presumably as an aid to compaction.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 09:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
On 21/09/2020 09:51, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 08:33:58 +0100, michael adams wrote:

If this is cut into 30 1 metre lengths that gives a 5 x 6 bundle
of
I mtr pipe lengths,Â* Which will be 5 X 32mm = 152mm on one side
and 6x 32mm = 192mm on the other side.

Although as always I stand to be corrected

5 X 32mm = 160 mm might be a start. But you get the general
idea.

and clearly the actual volume will be somewhat smaller.

Maybe, depends on how well compacted the backfilling of the disturbed
soil from the trench is and probably what that soil type is. I can
imagine compacting a heavy clay is somewhat harder than a lighter
sandier soil.
Â*Groundworks contractor I use reckons dug soil bulks by a factor of 3
(Herts.) Clearly returned soil will be partly re-compacted.

For clay soils you usually see bulking factors between 20% - 40%. So
if its compacted well on the way back in, you ought not have that much
spoil to clear.

The Romanian builders on a nearby site watered their backfill!
Presumably as an aid to compaction.

That works reasonably. Some soil can be compacted to a greater extent
than it was before it was dug out.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes
[...]

If you don't compact it, it will do so on its own in time. Leaving a
depression.

--
*It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Last trench I did across a lawn, I cut down both sides to full depth of
a spade, then prised out chunks of turf and clay with a mattock (so not
"de-compacting" those much). Then dug a bit further with the mattock,
gave the bottom of the trench some blinding with soft sand, laid my SWA,
part filled with the loose spoil, laid a cable warning tape, then put
the lumps back and any pother spoil. Rammed it down with an elephant's
foot style flat weight on a stick. It all went back level with no left
over spoil. You can't see where it was now.

(that was only 12" or so deep - probably harder to get it all back in a
deeper trench)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
michael adams wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
Jimk wrote:
If you've got it all ready?
depending on access, a man & machine £300/day, a day to dig, lay
backfill?
Where does excess spoil go?

Thanks. Spoil would likely need to be removed - can probably use some of it,
but not a great deal.

So what diameter are these pipes exactly ?

Yes, I was going to ask that, a mole plough would probably do it more
cheaply. Do you really want the paving slabs on top?

All down to cost I suspect.. how much is a moling operation for a
day? Must be more than aman&adigger?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
Jimk wrote:
If you've got it all ready?
depending on access, a man & machine £300/day, a day to dig, lay
backfill?
Where does excess spoil go?

Thanks. Spoil would likely need to be removed - can probably use some of it,
but not a great deal.

So what diameter are these pipes exactly ?

Yes, I was going to ask that, a mole plough would probably do it more
cheaply. Do you really want the paving slabs on top?

All down to cost I suspect.. how much is a moling operation for a
day? Must be more than aman&adigger?

I bought a mole plough a few months ago, it cost £320. You do of
course need a tractor to drag it through the ground.

A mole plough isn't one of those self propelled undeground guided
missile things. It's something you drag behind a tractor with a sort
of 'bullet' at the bottom of a blade and a pipe that runs down to the
'bullet' that you feed a pipe into. A quick 'net search will show you
what it is.

Mine has saved me much digging and money burying both MDPE water pipes
and Cat5e cables.

Over 15m distances? I bet a tractor up to that will be 4m long
itself...?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan Wrote in message:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 13:11:34 +0100, Jimk wrote:

Theo Wrote in message:
Any ideas roughly what it would cost (in Cambridgeshire, heavy clay) to
dig about 15m of trench to a depth of 1m, bury insulated water pipes
and some SWA, backfill and put paving slabs on top?

If you've got it all ready?
depending on access, a man & machine £300/day, a day to dig, lay
backfill?
Where does excess spoil go?

Please tell us where you can get a digger, and driver to work it, for
£300 a day. We've recently paid £600 in Leics. for a similar thing.

It'd be 2 days work to dig/ finish and make good.
If it can be done for less than £1000, I'd be surprised.
And as you say, there will be excess soil to get rid of, so maybe a skip
or 2 at £200 each.

Oop north lad.!
I don't need a digger&man to lay flags do you?
I asked about spoil already.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
Jimk wrote:
[...]

How many metres going does it take to get the mole down to 1m, &
back out again?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
On 20/09/2020 17:58, Mark wrote:
"Theo" wrote in message
Any ideas roughly what it would cost (in Cambridgeshire, heavy clay) to
dig
about 15m of trench to a depth of 1m, bury insulated water pipes and some
SWA, backfill and put paving slabs on top?

Beyond 'hire a mini digger and DIY', where I'd probably spend most of the
time failing to drive the digger...

Thanks
Theo

why do you want to put paving slabs on top ?
have you considered a Moling Services you only need to dig two holes

-

And why a metre down ?. SWA doesn't need to go that deep.
Nor do Insulated water pipes, and clay is much better insulation
than sandy soil anyway.
What sort of traffic will be crossing this trench ?.

Wet clay is "better insulation"??
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
Theo wrote:
Jimk wrote:
If you've got it all ready?
depending on access, a man & machine £300/day, a day to dig, lay
backfill?
Where does excess spoil go?

Thanks. Spoil would likely need to be removed - can probably use some of it,
but not a great deal.

Would there be that much, given it's only a pipe and cable in the trench?

Your trusty building knowledge coming to the fore again Duhve?

Oh, I'm quite sure the likes of you would simply shovel it back in and
wonder why there was lots left over.

Thank Google you caught up Duhve!

Perhaps we'll find an opening for your cough "waterproof" mortar
in the thread :-what with your knowledge & experience etc etc....
:-D:-D
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
Jimk wrote:
[...]

I've done shorter than 15 metres, I think the shortest is probably
about 5 metres. I have a Kubuta STV36 compact tractor and it has no
problem at all pulling the mole plough.

How deep?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
Jimk wrote:
[...]

I think it's the 'standard' half a metre or so, thinking about what it
looks like (can't be bothered to go and measure it) probably a bit
more, 60-65cm?

Hmm OP was after a metre.

Obviously you don't sink to that depth instantly, it wouldn't be very
useful if you did, pipes and cables have to have a gradient from where
they enter the ground.

So in the 15m run how much would be "at 60cm depth" versus your
"down & up gradients"? (assuming there's room to run in &
out)

If you dug the trench you could go "straight down" then turn
horizontal dependent on the bending radius of the pipes & cables
which from the sounds of it will be quite tight...

Pipes & cables don't need a gradient but your mole plough does...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

"Theo" wrote in message
Jimk wrote:
[...]

(Except drainage but that's not relevant here).
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Jimk wrote:
If you've got it all ready?
depending on access, a man & machine £300/day, a day to dig, lay
backfill?
Where does excess spoil go?

Thanks. Spoil would likely need to be removed - can probably use some of it,
but not a great deal.

Would there be that much, given it's only a pipe and cable in the trench?

Your trusty building knowledge coming to the fore again Duhve?

Oh, I'm quite sure the likes of you would simply shovel it back in and
wonder why there was lots left over.

Thank Google you caught up Duhve!

Perhaps we'll find an opening for your cough "waterproof" mortar
in the thread :-what with your knowledge & experience etc etc....
:-D:-D

****ed at this time of the morning Jim? Seek help.

I don't drink Duhve.

Yet more of your armchair expertise coming through?

Did you believe mortar was waterproof when you rebuilt your roof
parapet? Oopsy!
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher Wrote in message:
On 21/09/2020 08:51, charles wrote:
In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
o.uk...

And as you say, there will be excess soil to get rid of, so maybe a skip
or 2 at £200 each.

The excess soil will be the same volume as the cable being laid
unless its being backfilled with gravel or similar.

The soil you remove will have been compressed. You won't get that
compreession when you return it.

No, you get more. There is still a shallow ditch in my lawn where a
mains feed was laid.

Er...
How do you know none was taken away?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
Jimk wrote:
If you've got it all ready?
depending on access, a man & machine £300/day, a day to dig, lay
backfill?
Where does excess spoil go?

Thanks. Spoil would likely need to be removed - can probably use some of it,
but not a great deal.

Would there be that much, given it's only a pipe and cable in the trench?

Your trusty building knowledge coming to the fore again Duhve?

Oh, I'm quite sure the likes of you would simply shovel it back in and
wonder why there was lots left over.

Thank Google you caught up Duhve!

Perhaps we'll find an opening for your cough "waterproof" mortar
in the thread :-what with your knowledge & experience etc etc....
:-D:-D

****ed at this time of the morning Jim? Seek help.

I don't drink Duhve.

So how do you explain your inability to spell a common name? That stinks
of brain damage due to alcohol abuse.

You mean Duhve Duhve?
Just my invention - it suits you don't you think? Duh?

Yet more of your armchair expertise coming through?

Did you believe mortar was waterproof when you rebuilt your roof
parapet? Oopsy!

As does that. You really should seek help.

Any advice from you, has zero value for me, Duhve :-D

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
So how do you explain your inability to spell a common name? That
stinks of brain damage due to alcohol abuse.

You mean Duhve Duhve?
Just my invention - it suits you don't you think? Duh?

Ah - you invent your own words, then?

Yerss yours is a contraction ... of Duh {implying stupidity} & (da)ve
- geddit yet Duhve?

More signs of brain damage. You really should seek treatment.

More priceless advice from the ill equipped :-D

With your recent delusions Duhve perhaps you've been to see the
man in the white coat yourself?

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Ah - you invent your own words, then?

Yerss yours is a contraction ... of Duh {implying stupidity} & (da)ve
- geddit yet Duhve?

Ah - right. Something else you've invented. Try looking up how and when
'duh' is used.

Seems fairly simple to me (like you!)

"Definition of duh

1 ?used to express actual or feigned ignorance or stupidity"

You're too far gone for the men in the white coats. A consultant in a suit
would be more to the point. But he would need to be very good indeed to
diagnose you.

More experiential advice from armchair expert "Mr Mortar's
Waterproof" :-D:-D

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

[...]