Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Apprentice expresses his opinion that I got it wrong

The useless one was tasked with mounting a 1g 25mm metal back box to the
wall.

The knockouts were removed and he was told to mount the box with the
removed knockouts at the top.

20 minutes later the box was finally mounted to the wall upside down and
not level.

Me "You have mounted the box upside down"

Useless one "No - you got it wrong - I have done it with the writing
[manufacturers name and BS number stamp] the right way up"

FFS.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/9/20 7:14 pm, ARW wrote:
The useless one was tasked with mounting a 1g 25mm metal back box to the
wall.

The knockouts were removed and he was told to mount the box with the
removed knockouts at the top.

20 minutes later the box was finally mounted to the wall upside down and
not level.

Me "You have mounted the box upside down"

Useless one "No - you got it wrong - I have done it with the writing
[manufacturers name and BS number stamp] the right way up"

FFS.

You must have removed the wrong knockouts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 19:26:41 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

The useless one was tasked with mounting a 1g 25mm metal back box

the wall.

The knockouts were removed and he was told to mount the box with

the
removed knockouts at the top.

20 minutes later the box was finally mounted to the wall upside

down
and not level.

Me "You have mounted the box upside down"

Useless one "No - you got it wrong - I have done it with the

writing
[manufacturers name and BS number stamp] the right way up"

You must have removed the wrong knockouts

Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the
right way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is
mounted correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's
their problem.

The OCD argument falls over with the box not being level. Even though
that requirement was not in the spec.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 10:57:56 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the right
way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is mounted
correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's their
problem.

The OCD argument falls over with the box not being level. Even though
that requirement was not in the spec.

Unless it's one of those boxes that has differently positioned knockouts
on each side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the
right way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is
mounted correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's
their problem.

With a socket box, I normally mount it so the earth terminal is most
accessible - which may well be 'upside down'

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the
right way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is
mounted correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's
their problem.

With a socket box, I normally mount it so the earth terminal is most
accessible - which may well be 'upside down'

That is why he was given specific instructions to mount the box that way.

Not sure about the OCD. The box where he was given no instructions on
the orientation had the writing vertical and the adjustable lug at the top.

This is the one that said the washer bottle on the van would not fill up.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 11:55, ARW wrote:
In article l.net,
Â*Â*Â* Dave Liquorice wrote:
Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the
right way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is
mounted correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's
their problem.

With a socket box, I normally mount it so the earth terminal is most
accessible - which may well be 'upside down'

That is why he was given specific instructions to mount the box that way.

Not sure about the OCD. The box where he was given no instructions on
the orientation had the writing vertical and the adjustable lug at the top.

This is the one that said the washer bottle on the van would not fill up.

You do realise that back boxs are manufactured to take compression loads
in one direction only, mounting upside down significantly reduces the
structural integrity of a building.

It sounds as if the apprentice has saved you for a potentially nasty
legal claim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the
right way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is
mounted correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's
their problem.

With a socket box, I normally mount it so the earth terminal is most
accessible - which may well be 'upside down'

That is why he was given specific instructions to mount the box that way.

Not sure about the OCD. The box where he was given no instructions on
the orientation had the writing vertical and the adjustable lug at the top.

This is the one that said the washer bottle on the van would not fill up.

You really really need to get on the selection board (or whatever) for
your apprentices. ;-)

--
*When it rains, why don't sheep shrink? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 10:14, ARW wrote:
"No - you got it wrong - I have done it with the writing [manufacturers
name and BS number stamp] the right way up"

He must have been right because you are too old to know anything, and he
is at the age where they know everything.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the
right way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is
mounted correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's
their problem.

With a socket box, I normally mount it so the earth terminal is most
accessible - which may well be 'upside down'

That is why he was given specific instructions to mount the box that way.

Not sure about the OCD. The box where he was given no instructions on
the orientation had the writing vertical and the adjustable lug at the top.

This is the one that said the washer bottle on the van would not fill up.

You really really need to get on the selection board (or whatever) for
your apprentices. ;-)

His Dad is a ex joiner and now a contracts manager for a large building
firm.

When he asked me how his son was getting along all I said was
"Apprentices get worse every year and your son is no exception"

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 13:05, Pancho wrote:
On 20/09/2020 11:55, ARW wrote:
In article l.net,
Â*Â*Â* Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Is it April 1st already?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 13:05, Pancho wrote:

You do realise that back boxs are manufactured to take compression loads
in one direction only, mounting upside down significantly reduces the
structural integrity of a building.

That's why you use back box acrow props in these situations.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On the other hand he may have been watching the old TV Series, Cowboys or
Charlie Drake, The Worker, both of which found comedy in the ineptitude of
working folk.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Pancho" wrote in message
On 20/09/2020 11:55, ARW wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Does the father own a demolition business? Perhaps that is his calling?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
In article ,
ARW wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
So was it one of the boxes where you can screw it in with slots instead
of holes so the screws do not have to be that accurate?

Steel back boxes normally have adjustable lugs, so if the box isn't quite
square, the fitting can be. In an old house they can look better set by
eye rather than a spirit level.

--
*Many people quit looking for work when they find a job *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 18:53, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
On the other hand he may have been watching the old TV Series, Cowboys or
Charlie Drake, The Worker, both of which found comedy in the ineptitude of
working folk.

Brian

I never liked Charlie Drake, but I like comedy taking the **** out of
people. Nowadays everyone is too precious about their dignity and taking
the **** is hate speech.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 10:57:56 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the right
way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is mounted
correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's their
problem.

The OCD argument falls over with the box not being level. Even though
that requirement was not in the spec.

Unless it's one of those boxes that has differently positioned knockouts
on each side.

Well that's obviously the manufacturers fault for putting his name on
upside down.
--
bert