Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default You know you're getting old....

(Vaguely on topic)

.....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Bad days!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 12:31, R D S wrote:
(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Bad days!

and those open rises are dangerous ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:56 +0100, R D S wrote:

(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Are you sure it was varnish? ;-(

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:56 +0100, R D S wrote:

(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Or trying to place the country by the wall sockets...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 12:31, R D S wrote:
(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Bad days!

Have you ever noticed how often Inspector Morse changed his house furniture?

I only started noticing when I saw the exact sofa I have in 'the wench
is dead' but have never seen it in any other episode...

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 14:50, Geo wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:56 +0100, R D S wrote:

(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Or trying to place the country by the wall sockets...

Haha, yes!
Or guess the age from the TV/monitors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 15:18, R D S wrote:
On 17/09/2020 14:41, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:56 +0100, R D S wrote:

(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Are you sure it was varnish? ;-(

Ewww, Tim!

I don't know why I though "ewww", it must be one of those a place for
everything and everything in it's place sort of things..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 12:31:56, R D S wrote:
(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Bad days!

OMG Shoot me when I get like that :-)

My Father had a saying about mind making appointments the body couldn't
keep. But when you stop making appointments........
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:56 +0100, R D S wrote:

(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Bad days!

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/..._seen_on_grind

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 15:35:02 +0100, R D S wrote:

On 17/09/2020 15:18, R D S wrote:
On 17/09/2020 14:41, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:56 +0100, R D S wrote:

(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Are you sure it was varnish? ;-(

Ewww, Tim!

I don't know why I though "ewww", it must be one of those a place for
everything and everything in it's place sort of things..

Well, in those sort of films you often see all sorts of things in all
sorts of places so I think you are right. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You know you are old when you have not enough sight to watch smutty movies.
grin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"R D S" wrote in message
(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and you're
thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a bit
patchy".

Bad days!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/09/2020 15:18, R D S wrote:
On 17/09/2020 14:41, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 17 Sep 2020 12:31:56 +0100, R D S wrote:

(Vaguely on topic)

....when you're killing a few minutes watching some smut online and
you're thinking "nice staircase but the varnishing on that newel is a
bit patchy".

Are you sure it was varnish? ;-(

Ewww, Tim!

I don't know why I though "ewww", it must be one of those a place for
everything and everything in it's place sort of things..

Well, in those sort of films you often see all sorts of things in all
sorts of places so I think you are right. ;-)

And sometimes the ewe as well... (but perhaps that's a regional thing!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Have you ever noticed how often Inspector Morse changed his house furniture?

I only started noticing when I saw the exact sofa I have in 'the wench is dead' but
have never seen it in any other episode...

Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished accomodation
but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere near.

If you class Harry Palmer as a detective, while a feature of the Ipress File
was the way Michael Caine impressed Sue Llloyd with his cooking skills
and Deighton wrote a cookbook on the back of it - the idea of him
hoovering the flat or generally tidying up never featured.

Next up Andy Sipowitz in NYPD blue. Suposedly a drunk regulalrly
picked our of gutters, yet always immaculately turned out living
in an immaculately furnished apartment.

Both Palmer and Sipowitz would never have been able to afford
cleaners.

Maybe both of the couples in Midsomer Murders could have employed
a cleaner only it was thought unacceptable to show them as employers,
So rather than show them talking while hoovering they talked while
cooking instead. Either that or they lived in self cleaning and self
tidying houses.

The only time you r ever see vaccuum cleaners and associated activity
featured on films or tv is in adverts.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

ruined it for me...tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 17 September 2020 20:56:14 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
You know you are old when you have not enough sight to watch smutty movies.

In the absence of audio description put Delia Smith on in the background.

Rub gently with the fingertips

Beat until stiff

Add the icecream and chocolate sauce

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , michael adams

Have you ever noticed how often Inspector Morse changed his house
furniture?

I only started noticing when I saw the exact sofa I have in 'the wench
is dead' but have never seen it in any other episode...

Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere near.

If you class Harry Palmer as a detective, while a feature of the Ipress
File was the way Michael Caine impressed Sue Llloyd with his cooking
skills and Deighton wrote a cookbook on the back of it - the idea of him
hoovering the flat or generally tidying up never featured.

you never see them goingb to the loo either

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 00:52:56 +0100, michael adams wrote:

So rather than show them talking while hoovering they talked while
cooking instead.

Sounds like you've never used a hoover either or you'd know holding a
sensible conversation whilst doing so is next to impossible. Let
alone trying to record/edit dialogue with a hoover running.

Though one can work around that issue, start with the hoover ruuning,
which gets switched off to hold the dialogue then on again at the
end.

Run the first few lines of the scene in wide shot with hoover
running, switch off hoover frame any giveaway bits that the hoover is
not running out, shoot all the dialogue (with suitably raised
voices!) without hoover runing but actor doing (and remembering) the
hoover action. Then take a sound wildtrack of hoover, actor repeats
all the hoover action with it running whilst miming the dialogue. Mix
the two tracks together in post production. Possibly using the
"clean" dialogue to replace the few lines recorded with the hoover
running.

Either that or they lived in self cleaning and self tidying houses.

The only time you r ever see vaccuum cleaners and associated activity
featured on films or tv is in adverts.

'cause such activities are boring and generally it is considered rude
to continue doing something when holding a converstation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article , michael adams

Have you ever noticed how often Inspector Morse changed his house
furniture?

I only started noticing when I saw the exact sofa I have in 'the wench
is dead' but have never seen it in any other episode...

Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere near.

If you class Harry Palmer as a detective, while a feature of the Ipress
File was the way Michael Caine impressed Sue Llloyd with his cooking
skills and Deighton wrote a cookbook on the back of it - the idea of him
hoovering the flat or generally tidying up never featured.

you never see them goingb to the loo either

I resigned myself to that fact at around the age of 6; as up until that
point I really had expected that to feature in films of people's
life stories.

You don't see them watching much TV either. Although funnily enough
Larry watching American Football games on the TV, featured in two episodes
of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" I watched again recently. In one, the game
was in the last two minutes and on a knife edge, and Cheryl his wife
returned home from a long journey and was desparate to tell him all
about it. She catches him looking over her shoulder and craning his
neck and the ensuing exchange makes following the game any further,
impossible.

michael adams

from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
[...]

But all the conversations in the kitchen in both series of Midsomer
Murders accompany one or both of them doing something else at the
same time. Even if only feeding the dog.

The point is they never show anyone cleaning anything*, or tidying things
up, but they never show them living in squalor either. The only time
you ever see untidy rooms on TV are in hoarders houses when every room is
piled high with rubbish and they can't even move around.

michael adams

*Except if they have specific roles as cleaners

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere near.

I doubt most watch a prog like Morse to see him doing the housework.

But given he was a highly paid police officer and single, likely had a
cleaner?

--
*I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article , michael adams

Have you ever noticed how often Inspector Morse changed his house
furniture?

I only started noticing when I saw the exact sofa I have in 'the wench
is dead' but have never seen it in any other episode...

Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere near.

If you class Harry Palmer as a detective, while a feature of the Ipress
File was the way Michael Caine impressed Sue Llloyd with his cooking
skills and Deighton wrote a cookbook on the back of it - the idea of him
hoovering the flat or generally tidying up never featured.

you never see them goingb to the loo either

Even in reality shows. Wonder why that would be?

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
On 18 Sep 2020 at 00:52:56 BST, "michael adams"

[...]

We don't generally see them ****ting either. So your point is *what*,
precisely?

If that really is the best you can manage ?

Anyway shouldn't you be out helping your chums sort out the mess they've got
"our country" into ?

Manning the phones for this check and trace thing, might be a start.

The only time you ever see vaccuum cleaners and associated activity
featured on films or tv is in adverts.

Explain why we'd want noisy vacuum cleners on set. TV sound is rubbish enough
already.

Yours might be. Mine are connected to powered loudspeaker systems that I bought
from Maplins. Some Far Eastern noname but they work well enough and I bought
four altogether as they were so cheap.and fitted the first two with inline switches

Otherwise maybe if you stick your head right by the side of the set and watch the
picture via a mirror on the other side of the room - just like in the old days when
adjusting a set top aerial....

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:
Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere near.

I doubt most watch a prog like Morse to see him doing the housework.

Or check on whether he'd changed his sofa, which was Turnip's original
point.

But given he was a highly paid police officer and single, likely had a
cleaner?

Yes, but every day ?

You never see him washing up a cup or glass or tidying stuff up.

Oh and before anyone else jumps in, obviously when they portray drug
addicts or similar in dramas *they* indeed will be living in squalor
usually on mattreses in rooms the floors of which are strewn with
clothing and rubbish.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere near.

I doubt most watch a prog like Morse to see him doing the housework.

Or check on whether he'd changed his sofa, which was Turnip's original
point.

But given he was a highly paid police officer and single, likely had a
cleaner?

Yes, but every day ?

You never see him washing up a cup or glass or tidying stuff up.

Oh and before anyone else jumps in, obviously when they portray drug
addicts or similar in dramas *they* indeed will be living in squalor
usually on mattreses in rooms the floors of which are strewn with
clothing and rubbish.

michael adams

but you don't see the obligatory human turd on the living room floor.......
I loved how in eastenders the bloke was up using his mobile phone the
day after his liver transplant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere
near.

I doubt most watch a prog like Morse to see him doing the housework.

Or check on whether he'd changed his sofa, which was Turnip's original
point.

But given he was a highly paid police officer and single, likely had a
cleaner?

Yes, but every day ?

You never see him washing up a cup or glass or tidying stuff up.

The home scenes tend to show Morse thinking. Usually while listening to
music with a drink in his hand.

Would you find it compelling viewing, watching someone do the washing up?
You're a bit late - kitchen sink dramas were done and dusted years ago

Oh and before anyone else jumps in, obviously when they portray drug
addicts or similar in dramas *they* indeed will be living in squalor
usually on mattreses in rooms the floors of which are strewn with
clothing and rubbish.

Depends what type of drug addict. Rich ones - of which there are plenty -
may well pay to keep their place clean and tidy. Or have a partner who
does it for them. That would be a way of keeping the viewer guessing.

Of course if you wish to 'say' down and out addict, of course you show
them living in squalor from the off.

michael adams

*I didn't drive my husband crazy -- I flew him there -- it was faster

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Like a lot of TV detectives he lives in immaculatley furnished
accomodation but is never seen with a duster or a hoover anywhere
near.

I doubt most watch a prog like Morse to see him doing the housework.

Or check on whether he'd changed his sofa, which was Turnip's original
point.

But given he was a highly paid police officer and single, likely had a
cleaner?

Yes, but every day ?

You never see him washing up a cup or glass or tidying stuff up.

The home scenes tend to show Morse thinking. Usually while listening to
music with a drink in his hand.

Which is boring. While "Columbo" didn't do any washing up or
dusting at least his thinking, his "Eureka" moments came as
a result of outside stimuli; seeing a secretary using an
answering machine, seeing a cuckoo clock go off in a shop.

Would you find it compelling viewing, watching someone do the washing up?
You're a bit late - kitchen sink dramas were done and dusted years ago

You and the rest of them clearly weren't paying attention. The first
"kitchen sink" drama actually featured Mary Ure at the ironing board,
not at the simk.

Oh and before anyone else jumps in, obviously when they portray drug
addicts or similar in dramas *they* indeed will be living in squalor
usually on mattreses in rooms the floors of which are strewn with
clothing and rubbish.

Depends what type of drug addict. Rich ones - of which there are plenty -
may well pay to keep their place clean and tidy. Or have a partner who
does it for them. That would be a way of keeping the viewer guessing.

Of course if you wish to 'say' down and out addict, of course you show
them living in squalor from the off.

Well yes. I previously stated that the only people shown on TV living in
squalor, or even in a state of untidiness, were hoarders when clearly
the same applied to some drug addicts.

But otherwise most TV characters live in the type of apartments or
houses clearly designed, and paid for not by the typical
TV characters they represent, but by set designers who hire cleaners.
This, along with them never being shown watching TV, sticks out
like a sore thumb.

The Andy Sipowitz example which you snipped is interesting. Early on
in NYPD Blue he was a recovering alcolholic who lapsed. He lived
on his own in an apartment which was expensively furnished -
my original point whose salary as a basic detective - his general
attitude to authority held him back - would never have supported.
Never mind hiring a cleaner to keep it in the immaculate condition
it was shown in.

The same with Harry Palmer. In the Ipcress File its clear he's
only a basic grade operative as a result of insubordination and
a criminal record yet his flat has all the mod cons. And while
its OK for him to show off his cooking skills, they never showed
him washing up.

They *never* show characters cleaning, or washing up.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

[...]

If you mean Look Back in Anger, the Porters' flat didn't even have a
kitchen sink - they had to go down a floor to fetch water from the bathroom.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
michael adams wrote:

[...]

Indeed. And yet...

"and the John Osborne play Look Back in Anger (1956) is thought
of as the first of the genre."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitchen_sink_realism

So why weren't they called "ironing board" dramas ?

Or the genre "ironing board realism"

Questions, questions.

We need to be told !

We have a right to know !

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 17 September 2020 14:50:14 UTC+1, Geo wrote:
Or trying to place the country by the wall sockets...

Those almond-coloured American sockets usually prophesy rather mainstream plotless stuff.

UK sockets are okay, and if there's any Schuko around that usually means something inventive.

I did see some plastic minitrunking once and was going to ask Adam if it was appropriate for the environment.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , michael adams
writes

Well yes. I previously stated that the only people shown on TV living in
squalor, or even in a state of untidiness, were hoarders when clearly
the same applied to some drug addicts.

And Rigsby :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...
michael adams wrote:

[...]

well the 50 60 and some 70s American tv shows gave a totally unreal view
of the way Americans live..... I felt cheated and misled because of it....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
The home scenes tend to show Morse thinking. Usually while listening to
music with a drink in his hand.

Which is boring. While "Columbo" didn't do any washing up or
dusting at least his thinking, his "Eureka" moments came as
a result of outside stimuli; seeing a secretary using an
answering machine, seeing a cuckoo clock go off in a shop.

You'd love Christie, then. Her standard ploy.

If you find Morse boring, why watch it?

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
The home scenes tend to show Morse thinking. Usually while listening to
music with a drink in his hand.

Which is boring. While "Columbo" didn't do any washing up or
dusting at least his thinking, his "Eureka" moments came as
a result of outside stimuli; seeing a secretary using an
answering machine, seeing a cuckoo clock go off in a shop.

You'd love Christie, then. Her standard ploy.

If you find Morse boring, why watch it?

So she still hasn't yet worked out why they paid all that money
to Kevin Whately then ?

It's that and the production values, innit ?

Is that Bridget Christie you're referring to, Stewart Lee's
wife or Christie Somebody-Else ?

As I'll bet our Stu could come up with a riff in "production values"
if he put his mind to it.

Which is why Morse minus Morse, i.e Lewis and Endeavour ( Morse
before he got so set in his ways ) were equally successful.

They could after all, have shot it on an industrial estate

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
The home scenes tend to show Morse thinking. Usually while listening to
music with a drink in his hand.

Which is boring. While "Columbo" didn't do any washing up or
dusting at least his thinking, his "Eureka" moments came as
a result of outside stimuli; seeing a secretary using an
answering machine, seeing a cuckoo clock go off in a shop.

You'd love Christie, then. Her standard ploy.

If you find Morse boring, why watch it?

So she still hasn't yet worked out why they paid all that money
to Kevin Whately then ?

It's that and the production values, innit ?

Is that Bridget Christie you're referring to, Stewart Lee's
wife or Christie Somebody-Else ?

Sorry for assuming you'd heard of Agatha Christie - you being such an
avid old telly viewer.

As I'll bet our Stu could come up with a riff in "production values"
if he put his mind to it.

Which is why Morse minus Morse, i.e Lewis and Endeavour ( Morse
before he got so set in his ways ) were equally successful.

The Morse series soon ran out of Colin Dexter stories so were written by
TV hacks. Same as Lewis and Endeavour.

They could after all, have shot it on an industrial estate

Why would you want to re-create the streets etc of Oxford on an industrial
estate? Is this the same fetish you have for shooting day for night?

I dunno where the police station interiors for these series were located,
but very likely on an industrial estate.

michael adams

*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
The home scenes tend to show Morse thinking. Usually while listening to
music with a drink in his hand.

Which is boring. While "Columbo" didn't do any washing up or
dusting at least his thinking, his "Eureka" moments came as
a result of outside stimuli; seeing a secretary using an
answering machine, seeing a cuckoo clock go off in a shop.

You'd love Christie, then. Her standard ploy.

If you find Morse boring, why watch it?

So she still hasn't yet worked out why they paid all that money
to Kevin Whately then ?

It's that and the production values, innit ?

Is that Bridget Christie you're referring to, Stewart Lee's
wife or Christie Somebody-Else ?

Sorry for assuming you'd heard of Agatha Christie - you being such an
avid old telly viewer.

Sorry! I thought you meant Bridget Christie did a riff about how boring
Morse was. Hoot!

As to Agatha Christie. The early Poirots are worth watching just for
the meliculous attention to detail in the sets - along with the interplay
between the 4 main characters Poirot, Hastings, Miss Lemon, and Japp.
The later laonger ones with Zoe Wanamaker and a fat Poirot not so.
As to Marple again good period detail and I could watch Geraldine
McKewan in most things; Julia Mackenzie not so much. The Margaret
Rutherford films in a box set make a nice change. The chap in those
films was MR's husband. MR was quite an eccentric character in real
life and got her first big screen break in Blithe Spirit.

As I'll bet our Stu could come up with a riff in "production values"
if he put his mind to it.

Which is why Morse minus Morse, i.e Lewis and Endeavour ( Morse
before he got so set in his ways ) were equally successful.

The Morse series soon ran out of Colin Dexter stories so were written by
TV hacks. Same as Lewis and Endeavour.

I didn't check the rating so as to support that claim as to their
continuing success. Endevour jumped the shark about 4 series IMO
But again the period detail and what looks to be the filtering
to alter the colour. Same as they appeared to do on some sequences
of "Life on Mars". A nostalgia filter.

They could after all, have shot it on an industrial estate

Why would you want to re-create the streets etc of Oxford on an industrial
estate? Is this the same fetish you have for shooting day for night?

I was stressing the production values aspects of Oxfoprd Colleges, in
response to the non existant Bridget Christie routine dissing Morse.

I dunno where the police station interiors for these series were located,
but very likely on an industrial estate.

Locations can jump about all over the place. In "Saturday Night and
Sunsday Morning" on their way to go fishing Arthur and the Norman
Rossiter character walk down to a canal bank in a scene verified as
being in Nottingham, but when they sit down by the canal, that scene
was shot in Greenford in West London. The Rockware Glass shed is
clearly visible once you look. The final scene where Arthur and Shirley
Anne Field look over to the where new houses were being built was in
West London too,

Again interiors could be anywhere. The big room in "Taste of Honey"
which Rita Tushingham rents in Salford, was actually a scenery
workshop of the English Stage Company in London.

So there you go. Christie indeed.

michael adams

michael adams

*A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
[...]

My favourites - both for the casting and production values - are the
original Joan Hickson TV ones. She really does fit the description of a
little old lady.

As I'll bet our Stu could come up with a riff in "production values"
if he put his mind to it.

Which is why Morse minus Morse, i.e Lewis and Endeavour ( Morse
before he got so set in his ways ) were equally successful.

The Morse series soon ran out of Colin Dexter stories so were written by
TV hacks. Same as Lewis and Endeavour.

I didn't check the rating so as to support that claim as to their
continuing success. Endevour jumped the shark about 4 series IMO
But again the period detail and what looks to be the filtering
to alter the colour. Same as they appeared to do on some sequences
of "Life on Mars". A nostalgia filter.

You don't need a filter to alter electronic pictures. My guess is it would
be easier to shoot it all 'straight' then alter the white balance in post
production. Real film is a black art to me - and some Morse where made on
film.

They could after all, have shot it on an industrial estate

Why would you want to re-create the streets etc of Oxford on an
industrial estate? Is this the same fetish you have for shooting day
for night?

I was stressing the production values aspects of Oxfoprd Colleges, in
response to the non existant Bridget Christie routine dissing Morse.

I dunno where the police station interiors for these series were
located, but very likely on an industrial estate.

Locations can jump about all over the place.

Of course. It's fiction - not a documentary. You choose the locations to
suit the plot (and convenience) - not the other way round. Obviously with
Morse etc meant to be in Oxford, you'd use the real locations where it
matters.

In "Saturday Night and
Sunsday Morning" on their way to go fishing Arthur and the Norman
Rossiter character walk down to a canal bank in a scene verified as
being in Nottingham, but when they sit down by the canal, that scene was
shot in Greenford in West London. The Rockware Glass shed is clearly
visible once you look. The final scene where Arthur and Shirley Anne
Field look over to the where new houses were being built was in West
London too,

The Bill, which I worked on a lot, had three different bases over the
years some 10 miles apart. Yet nominally the same area. Obviously it used
locations close to base where it didn't much matter. As do all such
things.

Again interiors could be anywhere. The big room in "Taste of Honey"
which Rita Tushingham rents in Salford, was actually a scenery workshop
of the English Stage Company in London.

Perhaps you think East Enders is made on real locations too?

Even the Bond films contain a great deal of 'studio'.

So there you go. Christie indeed.

--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My favourites - both for the casting and production values - are the
original Joan Hickson TV ones. She really does fit the description of a
little old lady.

Agreed. She fits my mental image of the character in the books.
Rutherford always seemed to be over-acting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message

snippage throughout

My favourites - both for the casting and production values - are the
original Joan Hickson TV ones. She really does fit the description of a
little old lady.

Too crabby looking for my taste. Have you noticed the similarity
to Roy Hodgson ?

I didn't check the rating so as to support that claim as to their
continuing success. Endevour jumped the shark about 4 series IMO
But again the period detail and what looks to be the filtering
to alter the colour. Same as they appeared to do on some sequences
of "Life on Mars". A nostalgia filter.

You don't need a filter to alter electronic pictures. My guess is it would
be easier to shoot it all 'straight' then alter the white balance in post
production. Real film is a black art to me - and some Morse where made on
film.

AFAIAA White balance is mainly to compensate for different coloured lighting.

But you can bugger about with digital colour in all sorts of ways.
Endeavour is typically cold, grey/brown grey/green grey/beige looking.
..

They could after all, have shot it on an industrial estate

Why would you want to re-create the streets etc of Oxford on an
industrial estate? Is this the same fetish you have for shooting day
for night?

I was stressing the production values aspects of Oxfoprd Colleges, in
response to the non existant Bridget Christie routine dissing Morse.

I dunno where the police station interiors for these series were
located, but very likely on an industrial estate.

Locations can jump about all over the place.

Of course. It's fiction - not a documentary. You choose the locations to
suit the plot (and convenience) - not the other way round. Obviously with
Morse etc meant to be in Oxford, you'd use the real locations where it
matters.

I specifically meant shooting the one canal sequence from to locations
100's of miles apart.

As to Morse his actual house/flat was in West London. Good old West London
again, eh !

Again interiors could be anywhere. The big room in "Taste of Honey"
which Rita Tushingham rents in Salford, was actually a scenery workshop
of the English Stage Company in London.

Perhaps you think East Enders is made on real locations too?

Why would I think that ? As it is, you're only claiming special knowledge
because the set rebuilds at Elstree always feature prominently with big
picture spreads in your "Sun" or "Daily Star".

Even the Bond films contain a great deal of 'studio'.

All at Elstree, Same as all of the hotel interiors and even the maze
in "The Shining".

What was interesting in the extras on the DVD was seeing how they used
parts of the sets as production offices moving everything around
as that part was needed for the next days shoot.

Although obviously you'll know all that stuff already.

michael adams