Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

Default Stuff you didnt know you didnt know....

On 4/1/2012 9:06 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

------
Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes,
windshield wipers and laser printers have in common?

A. All were invented
by women.

Seems to be a disagreement on the last item, seems Gary Starkweather
is widely credited with the laser printer. It is, of course,
just a Xerox dry photocopier with a device to put the image on
the drum electronically, instead of lenses imaging the paper
original. It's one of those "DAMN! Why didn't I think of that!"
inventions.

Jon

You have to admit, at maybe almost 50% correct, this is one of Runner's
more accurate posts.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

------
Q. What do bulletproof vests, fire escapes,
windshield wipers and laser printers have in common?

A. All were invented
by women.

Seems to be a disagreement on the last item, seems Gary Starkweather
is widely credited with the laser printer. It is, of course,
just a Xerox dry photocopier with a device to put the image on
the drum electronically, instead of lenses imaging the paper
original. It's one of those "DAMN! Why didn't I think of that!"
inventions.

Jon

You have to admit, at maybe almost 50% correct, this is one of Runner's
more accurate posts.

Dan

maybe add spread spectrum communications (hedy lamarr) to the list
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bill" wrote in message
On 4/11/2012 5:29 PM, Dan wrote:
On 4/1/2012 9:06 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
Gunner Asch wrote:

A. All were invented
by women.

maybe add spread spectrum communications (hedy lamarr) to the list

http://people.seas.harvard.edu/~jone...at2/index.html

Likely the idea arose from George Antheil's efforts to synchronize
multiple player pianos. The difficulty isn't changing frequencies,
it's having the receiver know exactly when to switch to the next one.

Lamarr's first husband had been an Austrian munitions maker so she was
aware of the technologies and problems.

jsw