Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Mattress

My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

My preference is spring with a foam top.
Current one is a Silentnight from Costco (this I think
https://www.costco.co.uk/c/Silentnig...-Size/p/290432
) and is very comfortable.

Prior one was twice the price from Bensons and only we only had it a few
months before we got shut. We bought that one because we needed a new
mattress at home and stayed in a place for a few nights where we found
the bed very comfortable. So we bought the same and it was OK at first
but not longer term.

Mattresses are a PIA to purchase IME.

Many come with a 100+ day guarantee these days.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice

If scrapping the old one pay the fee so that when the new one is
delivered the old one is collected.

There is a good chance that irrespective of where purchased it will come
directly from the manufacturers warehouse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

If you tend to get hot, avoid foam. Get pocket sprung, spend £1k+.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:38:08 GMT, JohnP wrote:

My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

Avoid memory foam unless you always sleep in exactly the same position
- all night, every night.
All of ours are Silentnight Miracoil. Last pair (2 singles) bought
from John Lewis, they take packaging and old ones away. Worth a bit
extra for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

Back when shopping was simpler, we went with IKEA. The options
are all there to try, both mattresses and toppers.

After trying pretty much all available combinations, our choice
was this mattress
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/hokkase...ite-10425885/?
together with the Tromsdalen topper, which doesn't seem to be
listed currently.

It is coming up to 5 years since we bought, and are still very
pleased with them.

These things are very personal, so I would recommend trying in
store, unless you really want to go through the hassle of buying
online and returning.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 09:38:13 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.
Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

Local bed shop, will usually haggle a bit on price.

Go firmer as they do soften in use.

Memory foam is like sleeping in a wetsuit (I imagine) and the lack of springiness makes rolling over different as there's no spring to push you back up.

The lack of bounce also makes sex feel like shagging a corpse (again I imagine).

If you like memory foam you can always get a topper. Or if you like really soft get a feather topper.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

Depends on how much you want to pay.

I got an IKEA memory foam one some years ago and am pleased with it.

Others would be more happy spending 1000 quid plus.

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

We have an Emma, as recommended by Which?, and it's been great. It was
not all that expensive, so when it gets too soft it will simply be
replaced like for like.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

memory foam has no bounce and you feel you are sinking into gloop ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

always buy from a bloke hanging about in a van near bed shops .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in news:BZl8H.3194469
:

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

always buy from a bloke hanging about in a van near bed shops .....

Been bullied into a Tempur Memory foam - I wanted a Sealy with a memory
foam top - or a Hypnos.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 12:22, JohnP wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in news:BZl8H.3194469
:

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

always buy from a bloke hanging about in a van near bed shops .....

Been bullied into a Tempur Memory foam - I wanted a Sealy with a memory
foam top - or a Hypnos.

by the bloke in a van ? ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davidm wrote:

Avoid memory foam unless you always sleep in exactly the same position
- all night, every night.

They get a bit hot too ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
Been bullied into a Tempur Memory foam - I wanted a Sealy with a memory
foam top - or a Hypnos.

Tried lots and went for Tempur, they're lovely and worth every penny
IMHO.

Tempur make a million different models which all have slight tweaks, so they
can claim to be 'exclusive' at Dreams, etc. There's roughly 3 levels of
softness - try them somewhere.

Buy from Argos which is half the price of Tempur's own site and there's
often 20% discount on top. Worked out about a grand - not that cheap, but
if it lasts for 10 years that's 8 quid a month. Given you spend a third of
your time in it, worth having something nice.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 13:04, Theo wrote:
JohnP wrote:
Been bullied into a Tempur Memory foam - I wanted a Sealy with a memory
foam top - or a Hypnos.

Tried lots and went for Tempur, they're lovely and worth every penny
IMHO.

Tempur make a million different models which all have slight tweaks, so they
can claim to be 'exclusive' at Dreams, etc. There's roughly 3 levels of
softness - try them somewhere.

Buy from Argos which is half the price of Tempur's own site and there's
often 20% discount on top. Worked out about a grand - not that cheap, but
if it lasts for 10 years that's 8 quid a month. Given you spend a third of
your time in it, worth having something nice.

Theo

eight quid a month...what a rip off.......cosysleep or what ever they
were called were great but the guy got jailed for slave labour
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 13:09, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 13:04, Theo wrote:
JohnP wrote:
Been bullied into a Tempur Memory foam - I wanted a Sealy with a memory
foam top - or a Hypnos.

Tried lots and went for Tempur, they're lovely and worth every penny
IMHO.

Tempur make a million different models which all have slight tweaks,
so they
can claim to be 'exclusive' at Dreams, etc.Â* There's roughly 3 levels of
softness - try them somewhere.

Buy from Argos which is half the price of Tempur's own site and there's
often 20% discount on top.Â* Worked out about a grand - not that cheap,
but
if it lasts for 10 years that's 8 quid a month.Â* Given you spend a
third of
your time in it, worth having something nice.

Theo

eight quid a month...what a rip off.......cosysleep or what ever they
were called were great but the guy got jailed for slave labour

cozysleep....I have one...great

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35363259
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 13:04, Theo wrote:
JohnP wrote:
[...]

just something nice about sleeping on a mattress made by slave labour.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 13:04, Theo wrote:
JohnP wrote:
[...]

was looking for a "help me " note in mine.....tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP brought next idea :
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

I bought a cheapy spring combined with 'blue memory foam' via Ebay
which is supposed to not be as hot and sweaty as straight memory foam.
It has been great so far, couple or so years. It arrived as a tight
vacuum sealed roll, needing 24 hours to reinflate. My only critism is
the edges of the mattress are too soft/ not well supported. You sit on
the side and it goes completely flat and the springs twang. The
perimeter springs ought to have been stronger. Once laid on it -
absolutely fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

Much depends on what you like. Sprung ones have more "bounce", and
latex, foam etc feel deader. Personally I prefer the latter.

We have had a top end Dunlapilo latex - that I liked, it lasted well for
a decade or more. That got replaced with an Ikea "latex" - which given
it was about a third the price should have been a clue! It was ok for a
couple of years but soon got too saggy.

We then went back to latex, but SWMBO persuaded me to go for the
"firmrest" version on the grounds that it will "soften with age". That
was like sleeping on a board - you woke up with aching hips etc where
the pressure points were. We lobbed a 2" memory foam topper on it, which
made it better - but still not good. We recently replaced that with a
Nectar "mattress in a box" foam, plus a bit of tempura foam, and a
temperature control layer on top. So far that seems pretty good - but
early days. (it has a 365 Day free trial period, and a 10 year warranty
(assuming they last that long!))

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 13:36, John Rumm wrote:

10 year warranty
(assuming they last that long!))

Does this 10 year warranty read something like

We will replace free of charge in the first 24 months then after...

In year 3 credit 70% of the original purchase price against one of our
latest model.

In year 4 credit 60% of the original purchase price against one of our
latest model.

In year 5 credit 50% of the original purchase price against one of our
latest model.

ect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep 2020 at 12:53:41 BST, "Andy Burns" wrote:

Davidm wrote:

Avoid memory foam unless you always sleep in exactly the same position
- all night, every night.

They get a bit hot too ...

Not noticed that - heat more duvet dependent for me I think.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 14:12, alan_m wrote:
On 16/09/2020 13:36, John Rumm wrote:

10 year warranty (assuming they last that long!))

Does this 10 year warranty read something like

We will replace free of charge in the first 24 months then after...

In year 3 credit 70% of the original purchase price against one of our
latest model.

In year 4 credit 60% of the original purchase price against one of our
latest model.

In year 5 credit 50% of the original purchase price against one of our
latest model.

There does not seem to be any taper in the value covered

"WARRANTY REMEDY

In the event of a Defect (as defined above), Nectars sole liability and
your sole remedies under this Warranty will be:

For the first 10 years of ownership, we will replace your Mattress
and/or Mattress Cover with a brand new Mattress/Mattress Cover at
absolutely no charge to you.
In years 10+ Nectar will completely repair and re-cover your
Mattress/Mattress Cover, or replace your Mattress/Mattress Cover, at our
option. The only charge you will incur will be a transportation costs of
£65 each way, which charges will be waived if a Defect is confirmed by
us, to exist."

Full details:

https://www.nectarsleep.co.uk/pages/...warrantyDetail

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP Wrote in message:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

Doggy Vs missionary?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 09:38:13 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

A number of years ago, we got a memory foam topper.

I was violently sick much of the night. This is a known issue - probably caused by outgassing of noxious substances from the foam.

Went back to the vendor.

Next time needed a bed, got one with a wool layer. In fact, because we moved, we ended up getting three. All excellent. Millbrook.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 17:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 09:38:13 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

A number of years ago, we got a memory foam topper.

I was violently sick much of the night. This is a known issue - probably caused by outgassing of noxious substances from the foam.

Went back to the vendor.

Next time needed a bed, got one with a wool layer. In fact, because we moved, we ended up getting three. All excellent. Millbrook.

Yeah it took a few days for the smell to dissipate from out new mattress...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 17:52:00 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 16/09/2020 17:48, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 September 2020 09:38:13 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

A number of years ago, we got a memory foam topper.

I was violently sick much of the night. This is a known issue - probably caused by outgassing of noxious substances from the foam.

Went back to the vendor.

Next time needed a bed, got one with a wool layer. In fact, because we moved, we ended up getting three. All excellent. Millbrook.

Yeah it took a few days for the smell to dissipate from out new mattress...

If it had just been smell, if they had a label saying "Leave in a room with open windows for a week", then I might have accepted the issue. But to feel as bad as I did with no warning, simply not acceptable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

John Lewis Sale items. Some real bargains in my local one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 11:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

memory foam has no bounce and you feel you are sinking into gloop ...

+1. It simply doesn't seem to provide any support, unless
combined with other constructions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 12:22, JohnP wrote:
"Jim GM4 DHJ ..." wrote in news:BZl8H.3194469
:

On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

always buy from a bloke hanging about in a van near bed shops .....

Been bullied into a Tempur Memory foam - I wanted a Sealy with a memory
foam top - or a Hypnos.

Uh-oh. She saw the price ticket and decided that 'expensive must
be best'.

You can get dual-singles that zip together. Happiness all round.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 19:29, Andrew wrote:
On 16/09/2020 11:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

memory foam has no bounce and you feel you are sinking into gloop ...

+1. It simply doesn't seem to provide any support, unless
combined with other constructions.

hard to get out of bed without a bit of a bounce as well.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:
On 16/09/2020 11:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

memory foam has no bounce and you feel you are sinking into gloop ...

+1. It simply doesn't seem to provide any support, unless
combined with other constructions.

Most memory foam mattresses (excluding some of the mattress-inna-bag crowd)
have memory foam as only the top few cms, and various layers of more rigid
foams further down. That's what provides the support and some degree of
springiness; the memory foam prevents that support being concentrated on
pressure points.

If you have a topper, the interaction between the topper and the underlying
mattress affects how this works - eg it can be affected by a bad mattress'
tendency to roll you into the middle.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:38:08 GMT, JohnP wrote:

My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

"Emma Original" mattress in a box. Which? best buy for the past few
years. Uses a foam composite construction. Replaced a coiled spring
type and far more comfortable. No issue with overheating, just much
more comfortable.

They have a 200 day (Or night I suppose ) trial period so you have
plenty of time to test it.

https://www.emma-mattress.co.uk/shop/

Quite a few on line you tube reviews.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep 2020 at 15:53:29 BST, "Peter Parry" wrote:

On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:38:08 GMT, JohnP wrote:

My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

"Emma Original" mattress in a box. Which? best buy for the past few
years. Uses a foam composite construction. Replaced a coiled spring
type and far more comfortable. No issue with overheating, just much
more comfortable.

They have a 200 day (Or night I suppose ) trial period so you have
plenty of time to test it.

https://www.emma-mattress.co.uk/shop/

Quite a few on line you tube reviews.

If the buffoon in that pic wants a decent night's sleep I'd suggest some
curtains.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/09/2020 19:29, Andrew wrote:
On 16/09/2020 11:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 16/09/2020 09:38, JohnP wrote:
My wife want me to start looking at new mattresses.

Any advice - Traditional v Memory Foam? Shop v on-line? etc.

memory foam has no bounce and you feel you are sinking into gloop ...

+1. It simply doesn't seem to provide any support, unless
combined with other constructions.

Which it always seems to be - typically just used as a conforming top
layer over something else.

--
Cheers,

John.