Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting vinyl flooring around a WC pan

We have a small (2.6 x 1.2m) en suite shower room with shower, WHB and
WC. The floor is Victorian floor boards, carpeted. The carpet is out
and needs to be replaced with vinyl, but the thought of trying to trim
the vinyl neatly around the WC is scary, even after making a paper
template.

The WC is relatively modern (40 yrs) with low level cistern and waste
exiting horizontally, through the wall (i.e. no 90 degree bend to the
floor). The WC pan is screwed to the floor, one screw each side.

How practical would it be for me to remove the screws and lift the pan a
few mm while wife slides the vinyl underneath? I have visions of
disturbing the seal on the waste outlet such that it weeps forever
after. Thoughts? Anyone tried something similar?

Thanks!

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 11:08, Graeme wrote:

We have a small (2.6 x 1.2m) en suite shower room with shower, WHB and
WC.Â* The floor is Victorian floor boards, carpeted.Â* The carpet is out
and needs to be replaced with vinyl, but the thought of trying to trim
the vinyl neatly around the WC is scary, even after making a paper
template.

The WC is relatively modern (40 yrs) with low level cistern and waste
exiting horizontally, through the wall (i.e. no 90 degree bend to the
floor).Â* The WC pan is screwed to the floor, one screw each side.

How practical would it be for me to remove the screws and lift the pan a
few mm while wife slides the vinyl underneath?Â* I have visions of
disturbing the seal on the waste outlet such that it weeps forever
after.Â* Thoughts?Â* Anyone tried something similar?

Thanks!

no problem done it myself as long as you have a multikwick type pan
connection and not a rigid one....and take the two screws out of the
back of the cistern....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme laid this down on his screen :
How practical would it be for me to remove the screws and lift the pan a few
mm while wife slides the vinyl underneath? I have visions of disturbing the
seal on the waste outlet such that it weeps forever after. Thoughts? Anyone
tried something similar?

Sliding it under, whilst you hold it up, will not work - you will be in
the way of the vinyl. Just take the pan out, resealing will not be too
difficult.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 September 2020 11:24:57 UTC+1, wrote:
Sliding it under, whilst you hold it up, will not work - you will be in
the way of the vinyl. Just take the pan out, resealing will not be too
difficult.

If you screw a batten to the walls left and right, you can stand on them and lift the WC up, while someone else slides the vinyl along the floor.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 September 2020 at 12:06:12 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes

If you screw a batten to the walls left and right, you can stand on
them and lift the WC up, while someone else slides the vinyl along the
floor.

I have visions of me, feet firmly on the floor, with a roll of vinyl on
the floor between my feet and the pan. I lift pan, wife, reaching
between my legs (!), unrolls vinyl and slides it forward. Doesn't
matter if I have to put the pan down now and again. Possibly.

Toilet pan weighs enough without leaning over the roll of vinyl to get at it. Unless you want to do your back in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 11:08, Graeme wrote:

We have a small (2.6 x 1.2m) en suite shower room with shower, WHB and
WC.Â* The floor is Victorian floor boards, carpeted.Â* The carpet is out
and needs to be replaced with vinyl, but the thought of trying to trim
the vinyl neatly around the WC is scary, even after making a paper
template.

I think it's the kind of thing that's easy when you know how. I had that
done professionally a few years ago in a tiny bathroom. I think they
must have made a small hole and then cuts radially, put down the vinyl
and then trimmed it afterwards. The cuts didn't show.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ben Blaukopf explained on 11/09/2020 :
Toilet pan weighs enough without leaning over the roll of vinyl to get at it.
Unless you want to do your back in.

The only way I can imagine, without removing it or lifting it, is a
series of small rollers. Several 15mm wooden dowels, wider than toilet
base, gradually introduced between base of toilet and vinyl as it
progresses under toilet. It might not work if there is a lot of
friction between vinyl and floor surface.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ben
Blaukopf writes
On Friday, 11 September 2020 at 12:06:12 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:

I have visions of me, feet firmly on the floor, with a roll of vinyl on
the floor between my feet and the pan. I lift pan, wife, reaching
between my legs (!), unrolls vinyl and slides it forward.

Toilet pan weighs enough without leaning over the roll of vinyl to get
at it. Unless you want to do your back in.

I think you're right :-(
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 11/09/2020 11:08, Graeme wrote:
the thought of trying to trim the vinyl neatly around the WC is
scary, even after making a paper template.

I think it's the kind of thing that's easy when you know how. I had
that done professionally a few years ago in a tiny bathroom. I think
they must have made a small hole and then cuts radially, put down the
vinyl and then trimmed it afterwards. The cuts didn't show.

That is a good idea.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/09/2020 13:35, Graeme wrote:
I think it's the kind of thing that's easy when you know how. I had
that done professionally a few years ago in a tiny bathroom. I think
they must have made a small hole and then cuts radially, put down the
vinyl and then trimmed it afterwards. The cuts didn't show.

That is a good idea.

Other alternative is trim as accurately as you can then `seal` the joint
to the pan with a bead of silicone which should hide any inaccuracies.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 13:35, Graeme wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
they must have made a small hole and then cuts radially, put down the
vinyl and then trimmed it afterwards. The cuts didn't show.

That is a good idea.

It is isn't it?

You know though, don't you, that the toilet is coming out!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ss
writes

Other alternative is trim as accurately as you can then `seal` the
joint to the pan with a bead of silicone which should hide any
inaccuracies.

Another good idea. Who can recall the name of that special tool for
finishing sealant, originally mentioned by TMH, from memory?
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S writes

You know though, don't you, that the toilet is coming out!

Nooooooooooooooooooo! :-)

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 11:24, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Graeme laid this down on his screen :
How practical would it be for me to remove the screws and lift the pan
a few mm while wife slides the vinyl underneath?* I have visions of
disturbing the seal on the waste outlet such that it weeps forever
after.* Thoughts?* Anyone tried something similar?

Sliding it under, whilst you hold it up, will not work - you will be in
the way of the vinyl. Just take the pan out, resealing will not be too
difficult.

+1.

Relatively easy with a "traditional" separate cistern, a bit more faff
with close coupled. Not so bad as long as you have a service valve in
the water supply though.

After flushing use a wet and dry vac to remove water from the pan (also
from the cistern, if removing that too)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 14:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , ss
writes

Other alternative is trim as accurately as you can then `seal` the
joint to the pan with a bead of silicone which should hide any
inaccuracies.

Another good idea.Â* Who can recall the name of that special tool for
finishing sealant, originally mentioned by TMH, from memory?

Fugenboy?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 11:08, Graeme wrote:

We have a small (2.6 x 1.2m) en suite shower room with shower, WHB and
WC.Â* The floor is Victorian floor boards, carpeted.Â* The carpet is out
and needs to be replaced with vinyl, but the thought of trying to trim
the vinyl neatly around the WC is scary, even after making a paper
template.

The WC is relatively modern (40 yrs) with low level cistern and waste
exiting horizontally, through the wall (i.e. no 90 degree bend to the
floor).Â* The WC pan is screwed to the floor, one screw each side.

How practical would it be for me to remove the screws and lift the pan a
few mm while wife slides the vinyl underneath?

Its what I would do...

I have visions of
disturbing the seal on the waste outlet such that it weeps forever
after.Â* Thoughts?

Since its not close coupled, you can at least get to the flush pipe and
tend to it if needs be. Chances are its just pushed into the socket on
the back of the pan with a finned rubber washer. You can always pull
that apart a fit a new washer. They are standard items:

https://www.toolstation.com/flush-pipe-connector/p54652

(a small amount of silicone grease aids assembly)

Anyone tried something similar?

Yup, although I also fitted the pan and left a spacer under it to allow
for the flooring. :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 September 2020 14:14:43 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
On 11/09/2020 14:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , ss
writes

Other alternative is trim as accurately as you can then `seal` the
joint to the pan with a bead of silicone which should hide any
inaccuracies.

Another good idea.Â* Who can recall the name of that special tool for
finishing sealant, originally mentioned by TMH, from memory?

Fugenboy?

Yes. I have some, they are great. Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 14:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , ss
writes

Other alternative is trim as accurately as you can then `seal` the
joint to the pan with a bead of silicone which should hide any
inaccuracies.

Another good idea.Â* Who can recall the name of that special tool for
finishing sealant, originally mentioned by TMH, from memory?

Yes, it's called a finger. Most of us have several of them!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 11:17, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/09/2020 11:08, Graeme wrote:

We have a small (2.6 x 1.2m) en suite shower room with shower, WHB and
WC.Â* The floor is Victorian floor boards, carpeted.Â* The carpet is out
and needs to be replaced with vinyl, but the thought of trying to trim
the vinyl neatly around the WC is scary, even after making a paper
template.

The WC is relatively modern (40 yrs) with low level cistern and waste
exiting horizontally, through the wall (i.e. no 90 degree bend to the
floor).Â* The WC pan is screwed to the floor, one screw each side.

How practical would it be for me to remove the screws and lift the pan
a few mm while wife slides the vinyl underneath?Â* I have visions of
disturbing the seal on the waste outlet such that it weeps forever
after.Â* Thoughts?Â* Anyone tried something similar?

Thanks!

no problem done it myself as long as you have a multikwick type pan
connection and not a rigid one....and take the two screws out of the
back of the cistern....

That might be sensible for a close coupled pan and cistern, but not much
for a low level one connected via a flush pipe. That will like put
significantly more load on the flush pipe.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2020 00:02, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/09/2020 11:17, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/09/2020 11:08, Graeme wrote:

We have a small (2.6 x 1.2m) en suite shower room with shower, WHB
and WC.Â* The floor is Victorian floor boards, carpeted.Â* The carpet
is out and needs to be replaced with vinyl, but the thought of trying
to trim the vinyl neatly around the WC is scary, even after making a
paper template.

The WC is relatively modern (40 yrs) with low level cistern and waste
exiting horizontally, through the wall (i.e. no 90 degree bend to the
floor).Â* The WC pan is screwed to the floor, one screw each side.

How practical would it be for me to remove the screws and lift the
pan a few mm while wife slides the vinyl underneath?Â* I have visions
of disturbing the seal on the waste outlet such that it weeps forever
after.Â* Thoughts?Â* Anyone tried something similar?

Thanks!

no problem done it myself as long as you have a multikwick type pan
connection and not a rigid one....and take the two screws out of the
back of the cistern....

That might be sensible for a close coupled pan and cistern, but not much
for a low level one connected via a flush pipe. That will like put
significantly more load on the flush pipe.

low level eaven easier you only have the pan to lift after you remove
the flush pipe .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , R D S writes
On 11/09/2020 14:05, Graeme wrote:
Who can recall the name of that special tool for finishing sealant,
originally mentioned by TMH, from memory?

Fugenboy?

Yes! Thank you.

--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes
On 11/09/2020 11:08, Graeme wrote:

Anyone tried something similar?

Yup, although I also fitted the pan and left a spacer under it to allow
for the flooring. :-)

Having just read what you did this summer, that doesn't surprise me :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Graeme wrote:
The WC is relatively modern (40 yrs) with low level cistern and waste
exiting horizontally, through the wall (i.e. no 90 degree bend to the
floor). The WC pan is screwed to the floor, one screw each side.

Old seal between pan and waste tended to be a sort of putty. With modern
plastic waste, a sort of flexible plastic seal. If no sign of the putty,
it should be easy to remove. Fit a new seal on replacement.

With the pan removed, tape a plastic bag etc over the waste to stop smells
while you lay the floor.

--
*I yell because I care

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" Wrote in message:
Well, besides, butting it up around it tends, after a year or so to end
badly with the edges curling up, unless some kind of beading can be used to
nail or screw the raw edges, then there is the issue of muck accumulation
around the joins.

Brian

Silicone
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 14:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , ss
writes

Other alternative is trim as accurately as you can then `seal` the
joint to the pan with a bead of silicone which should hide any
inaccuracies.

Another good idea.Â* Who can recall the name of that special tool for
finishing sealant, originally mentioned by TMH, from memory?

There are a few of them; Fugi[1] and Fugenboy being the more common. The
fugi are the better ones IMHO, although the Fugenboy sometimes hand
because they are physically smaller.

[1]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cramer-Grou.../dp/B07H8K5W8D

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 17:37, Roger Mills wrote:
On 11/09/2020 14:05, Graeme wrote:
In message , ss
writes

Other alternative is trim as accurately as you can then `seal` the
joint to the pan with a bead of silicone which should hide any
inaccuracies.

Another good idea.Â* Who can recall the name of that special tool for
finishing sealant, originally mentioned by TMH, from memory?

Yes, it's called a finger. Most of us have several of them!

IMHO, they don't work as well - tending to create a more aggressively
concave fillet with thin weak edges. The clean beveled fillet you get
from the fugi stands up to enthusiastic cleaning far better.

--
Cheers,

John.

fitting vinyl plank flooring for weird bathtub skirt profile James Tensor Home Repair 12 August 25th 20 09:35 AM
Pan connector for tight fitting? A.Lee UK diy 6 November 18th 12 07:39 PM
fitting cistern to pan Jo King UK diy 3 May 26th 05 11:14 AM
Vinyl Flooring Over Old Vinyl Backer Terry Smith Home Repair 1 September 10th 04 03:31 AM
Fitting WC pan query truman UK diy 6 July 22nd 04 08:37 PM