Posted to alt.home.repair

Default fitting vinyl plank flooring for weird bathtub skirt profile

Hi All,

Need to install waterproof vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom. The
bathtub skirt has cutouts about 1 foot long at the front and rear. The
cutouts are sweeping shapes from thin to thick. The remaining skirt is
straight between the two cutouts.

The vinyl plank will lie perfectly flat on the center (straight) skirt
-- requiring some seriously fancy cutting of the plank flooring to fit
these two cutouts. How can I form a plank to these weird dimensions?

I was thinking maybe put a plank in position across the flat skirt and
pouring liquid rubber into the cutouts to get a pattern. Is this
do-able? Anything better available??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/20 8:50 AM, James Tensor wrote:
Hi All,

Need to install waterproof vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom.Â* The
bathtub skirt has cutouts about 1 foot long at the front and rear. The
cutouts are sweeping shapes from thin to thick.Â* The remaining skirt is
straight between the two cutouts.

The vinyl plank will lie perfectly flat on the center (straight) skirt
-- requiring some seriously fancy cutting of the plank flooring to fit
these two cutouts.Â* How can I form a plank to these weird dimensions?

I was thinking maybe put a plank in position across the flat skirt and
pouring liquid rubber into the cutouts to get a pattern.Â* Is this
do-able?Â* Anything better available??

Would it be practical to make your cutouts then put something over
them? Think trim on a door or window frame. That might makes things a
bit simpler.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2020 8:50 AM, James Tensor wrote:
Hi All,

Need to install waterproof vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom.Â* The
bathtub skirt has cutouts about 1 foot long at the front and rear. The
cutouts are sweeping shapes from thin to thick.Â* The remaining skirt is
straight between the two cutouts.

The vinyl plank will lie perfectly flat on the center (straight) skirt
-- requiring some seriously fancy cutting of the plank flooring to fit
these two cutouts.Â* How can I form a plank to these weird dimensions?

I was thinking maybe put a plank in position across the flat skirt and
pouring liquid rubber into the cutouts to get a pattern.Â* Is this
do-able?Â* Anything better available??

Can't envision what you're describing...post a picture somewhere, or a
link to the tub?

Normally one just uses the edge and scribes a line on a pattern board...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2020 9:50 AM, James Tensor wrote:
Hi All,

Need to install waterproof vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom.Â* The
bathtub skirt has cutouts about 1 foot long at the front and rear. The
cutouts are sweeping shapes from thin to thick.Â* The remaining skirt is
straight between the two cutouts.

The vinyl plank will lie perfectly flat on the center (straight) skirt
-- requiring some seriously fancy cutting of the plank flooring to fit
these two cutouts.Â* How can I form a plank to these weird dimensions?

I was thinking maybe put a plank in position across the flat skirt and
pouring liquid rubber into the cutouts to get a pattern.Â* Is this
do-able?Â* Anything better available??

Scribe a line on a piece of cardboard using a protractor. Cut the line
and you have a pattern to transfer to the plank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAM9I6kidx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtYObtXLcjo

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 08:50:57 -0500, James Tensor
wrote:

Hi All,

Need to install waterproof vinyl plank flooring in a bathroom. The
bathtub skirt has cutouts about 1 foot long at the front and rear. The
cutouts are sweeping shapes from thin to thick. The remaining skirt is
straight between the two cutouts.

The vinyl plank will lie perfectly flat on the center (straight) skirt
-- requiring some seriously fancy cutting of the plank flooring to fit
these two cutouts. How can I form a plank to these weird dimensions?

I was thinking maybe put a plank in position across the flat skirt and
pouring liquid rubber into the cutouts to get a pattern. Is this
do-able? Anything better available??

Do you have access to one of these contour gauge tools?

https://www.amazon.com/Contour-Dupli...dp/B07VD5253D/

Posted to alt.home.repair

--

The bathtub is in a rental and I won't have access for a day or two.
This picture shows something similar but the front and rear indentions

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-M...1-G9/203095469
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/20 9:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Scribe a line on a piece of cardboard using a protractor.Â* Cut the line
and you have a pattern to transfer to the plank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAM9I6kidx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtYObtXLcjo

I'll definitely go watch these vids. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/20 10:18 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Do you have access to one of these contour gauge tools?

https://www.amazon.com/Contour-Dupli...dp/B07VD5253D/

Wow. Looks excellent. Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/20 8:59 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â* Would it be practical to make your cutouts then put something over
them?Â* Think trim on a door or window frame.Â* That might makes things a
bit simpler.

The cutout is variable depth so I can't get my head around this method.
Sometimes I'm a bit slow on new processes.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/23/2020 09:59 AM, James Tensor wrote:
On 8/23/20 9:19 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Scribe a line on a piece of cardboard using a protractor. Cut the
line and you have a pattern to transfer to the plank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAM9I6kidx8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtYObtXLcjo

I'll definitely go watch these vids. Thanks!

https://www.familyhandyman.com/proje...a-perfect-fit/

Same deal but not a video. Contour gauges are nice but for a one shot
but even if you don't have a compass they're a couple of bucks in the
school supplies section of the grocery store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2020 11:00:25 -0500, James Tensor
wrote:

On 8/23/20 10:18 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:

Do you have access to one of these contour gauge tools?

https://www.amazon.com/Contour-Dupli...dp/B07VD5253D/

Wow. Looks excellent. Thanks!

Whil;e that would be a big help, and while $21$is not al lot for
somet4hing that sounds important like this, for other people, it seems
to me you only need a piece of 1x2 or a 12 or 36" ruler. You trim one
end to a point, and make a hole in the other end that holds a pencil or
pen The distnace from the point of the stick to the point of the pencil
should be an easy number like 10 inches or 12, or 20 , whatever is
needed to get the bulk of the flooring where it has to go and then draw
on the rrest of it an outline of the bathhtub skirt.

If this isn't clear , tell me and I OR someone will go into more
details.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Aug 2020 10:57:49 -0500, James Tensor
wrote:

On 8/23/20 8:59 AM, dpb wrote:

I was thinking maybe put a plank in position across the flat skirt and
pouring liquid rubber into the cutouts to get a pattern.* Is this
do-able?* Anything better available??

Can't envision what you're describing...post a picture somewhere, or a
link to the tub?

Normally one just uses the edge and scribes a line on a pattern board...

The bathtub is in a rental and I won't have access for a day or two.

I thought you said the bathtub was a rental, and I asked myself, What
kind of life does he live.

This picture shows something similar but the front and rear indentions
on the rental tub are a foot wide and variable width.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-M...1-G9/203095469

I reply to your question later, but here I want to thank you for the
link.

I've been looking for someething like this for a year. I thought I
looked at every one HD had.

I only want white and thy're out of that. but there's no rush. And
it's 1600 dollars and has a vertical right side. I hve to look at what
I have now, but I know it's way to shallow.

The other soaker tubs i found had pushin- pops out drains and I don't
think I can do that with my toes. The water seems to cool off and once
in a while I have to drain some and add more hot.