truman

Default Fitting WC pan query

Hi all. Fitting new close coupled wc in place of old low level wc. 100 year
old cast iron soil pipe comes straight (well slightly sloping) thro the wall
with a big useless flange on the end. So a longish straight spigot connector
will be ok, no problem there. However carefully measuring the hole centres,
the new pan outlet is 1cm lower (at 180mm) than the soil pipe - so the waste
will have to flow uphill a bit.
Question is, does this small amount really matter, or should I raise the wc
pan 1cm with a plywood base or something?

Thanks
truman

Andy Hall

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:03:23 +0100, "truman"
wrote:

Hi all. Fitting new close coupled wc in place of old low level wc. 100 year
old cast iron soil pipe comes straight (well slightly sloping) thro the wall
with a big useless flange on the end. So a longish straight spigot connector
will be ok, no problem there. However carefully measuring the hole centres,
the new pan outlet is 1cm lower (at 180mm) than the soil pipe - so the waste
will have to flow uphill a bit.
Question is, does this small amount really matter, or should I raise the wc
pan 1cm with a plywood base or something?

Thanks
truman

Yes it does because you may find that it will stop the contents of the
bowl from being discharged into the soil pipe effectively and create a
tendency to blockages.

A base made from (say) 12mm WBP (basically water resistant ply would
do the trick as you suggest.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Stumbles

"truman" wrote in message
Hi all. Fitting new close coupled wc in place of old low level wc. 100

year
old cast iron soil pipe comes straight (well slightly sloping) thro the

wall
with a big useless flange on the end. So a longish straight spigot

connector
will be ok, no problem there. However carefully measuring the hole

centres,
the new pan outlet is 1cm lower (at 180mm) than the soil pipe - so the

waste
will have to flow uphill a bit.

If the old iron pipe is sloping can you cut it back close to the wall so you
can get a long multiquick to give a bit of fall?

adder

"truman" wrote in message ...
Hi all. Fitting new close coupled wc in place of old low level wc. 100 year
old cast iron soil pipe comes straight (well slightly sloping) thro the wall
with a big useless flange on the end. So a longish straight spigot connector
will be ok, no problem there. However carefully measuring the hole centres,
the new pan outlet is 1cm lower (at 180mm) than the soil pipe - so the waste
will have to flow uphill a bit.
Question is, does this small amount really matter, or should I raise the wc
pan 1cm with a plywood base or something?

Thanks
truman

I'd say try it and see. I doubt 1cm would make much a difference over
a short distance with this volume of water.
truman

"adder" wrote in message
om...
| "truman" wrote in message
| Hi all. Fitting new close coupled wc in place of old low level wc. 100
year
| old cast iron soil pipe comes straight (well slightly sloping) thro the
wall
| with a big useless flange on the end. So a longish straight spigot
connector
| will be ok, no problem there. However carefully measuring the hole
centres,
| the new pan outlet is 1cm lower (at 180mm) than the soil pipe - so the
waste
| will have to flow uphill a bit.
| Question is, does this small amount really matter, or should I raise the
wc
| pan 1cm with a plywood base or something?
|
| Thanks
| truman
|
| I'd say try it and see. I doubt 1cm would make much a difference over
| a short distance with this volume of water.

Thanks to all. Just discovered the pan outlet is just a bit too low to enter
the cast iron flange, and we've decided not to cut the flange off, so we're
raising the pan with 12mm wpb.

truman

BillV

"truman" wrote in message
Hi all. Fitting new close coupled wc in place of old low level wc. 100

year
old cast iron soil pipe comes straight (well slightly sloping) thro the

wall
with a big useless flange on the end. So a longish straight spigot

connector
will be ok, no problem there. However carefully measuring the hole

centres,
the new pan outlet is 1cm lower (at 180mm) than the soil pipe - so the

waste
will have to flow uphill a bit.
Question is, does this small amount really matter, or should I raise the

wc
pan 1cm with a plywood base or something?

Thanks
truman

Something wrong here as all UK pan outlets should be at 190mm centre from
the floor to meet standards, (unless they are wall mounting).
The 3 I bought recently certainly all were and they were made in various
place round the world.
Did you import the pan yourself?

truman

|| Something wrong here as all UK pan outlets should be at 190mm centre from
| the floor to meet standards, (unless they are wall mounting).
| The 3 I bought recently certainly all were and they were made in various
| place round the world.
| Did you import the pan yourself?

Only from bathroom a shop called Bells in Dulwich, S London! It's their
standard 'Gloria' style , wc set and basin/ped set. They reckon they are
popular and receive no comebacks.

I made it 18cm dead, at the centre of the outlet hole at its extremity. The
cast flange height is no guide, as the house is exactly 100 years old and
the stack is probably original. Anyway its fitted now and works a treat!

truman