Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Moving a shed

We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

Theo
..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo submitted this idea :
What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

If the timber floor joists run in the same direction you want to move
it...

Get maybe three or four 2m scaffold poles, jack it up enough to get
them under the hut, it should then roll quite easily. Rotating it will
need some improvisation with the poles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 21:55, Theo wrote:
We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

Theo
.

go for the 4 people - one on each corner

Maybe lift the front of the shed and slide a wooden plan or fence post
under it - the plank being wider than the shed. Repeat at the back of
the shed

The 4 people have then got something more easy to lift and you support
the bottom of the shed better

OR 2 people
Still 2 planks but closer together and
https://youtu.be/pJllHOIZTjQ?t=323

maybe rope rather than slings and maybe tried on at the bottom.
Maybe a 3rd person just to steady the shed when moving but not actually
lifting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06 Sep 2020 21:55:48 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

We had some proper heavy 'Shifting skates', that assuming the surface
was good enough would allow you to left some really heavy weights very
easily (Dad was in the lifting gear game for a while). ;-)

We have also moved some heavy stuff on wooden rollers (round fence
posts), but the problem you may have is getting the shed up high
enough (without damaging it) and keeping control of it whilst doing
so.

What is the actual shed made of as that can make a big difference re
how much distortion it can take? If it's plastic panels with a wooden
floor then you might easily stress the fastenings. Also, what are the
slabs resting on, just earth?

If the whole structure is reasonably strong, strong enough to be
listed up by one edge, a few long levers along one edge allowing you
to get some timber under the bearers (assuming there are any) might
give you a start?

Have fun!

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 22:33, alan_m wrote:

Maybe lift the front of the shed and slide a wooden plan or fence post
under it - the plank being wider than the shed. Repeat at the back of
the shed

Substitute two sections of an extending (lightweight) ladder for the
planks/posts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 6 September 2020 21:55:54 UTC+1, Theo wrote:
We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

Theo
.

I'd fit temporary bracing then just pick it up.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 21:55, Theo wrote:
We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

Theo
.

All the ideas suggested so far are wildly impractical. The only sensible
way to do this is to tie a rope to the shed, then purchase a gross of
party balloons, a large cylinder of helium, and a packet of cheap darts.
Inflate the balloons and put them in the shed. They will tend to
congregate near the roof. Ensure that the roof is properly fixed to the
walls and that the walls are properly fixed to the floor, otherwise this
method will only be partly successful. Eventually the shed will leave
the ground. At this point quickly get hold of the rope. If you are a
small person, or anorexic, get help. It should then be relatively easy
to manoeuvre the shed as required. When it is above the required
position throw the darts through the shed doorway in order to puncture a
number of the balloons. The shed should then settle onto the ground in
the desired position. Please remember to dispose of the remaining
balloons responsibly.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 September 2020 02:32:34 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
On 06/09/2020 21:55, Theo wrote:
[...]

Hydrogen has more lifting power.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How old is it, and what is the roof made of. I did move a very old shed a
few years back but it soon started to fall to bits after that, the floor and
the screws and nails in them were very rusty and many sheered the roof
being asbestos cement developed a crack due to the slight twisting during
the move. With hindsight, I should have left well alone except it was on
hardcore and earth and the foxes had burrowed under it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Theo" wrote in message

We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

Theo
.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2020 02:57, wrote:

Hydrogen has more lifting power.

And allows the balloons to be deflated with the use of a blow torch
rather than the darts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 21:55, Theo wrote:
[...]

But is flammable.... remember the Hindenburg disaster?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
We had some proper heavy 'Shifting skates', that assuming the surface
was good enough would allow you to left some really heavy weights very
easily (Dad was in the lifting gear game for a while). ;-)

We have also moved some heavy stuff on wooden rollers (round fence
posts), but the problem you may have is getting the shed up high
enough (without damaging it) and keeping control of it whilst doing
so.

I thought about sliding it on something slippy... plastic boards or
something. Although it would need some means of exerting force on it -
isn't so easy to push as it's in a corner.

What is the actual shed made of as that can make a big difference re
how much distortion it can take? If it's plastic panels with a wooden
floor then you might easily stress the fastenings. Also, what are the
slabs resting on, just earth?

It's all wood, except some polycarb for the window which can probably be
taken out. I think the slabs are just resting on earth, although I can't
tell because they're underneath the shed

If the whole structure is reasonably strong, strong enough to be
listed up by one edge, a few long levers along one edge allowing you
to get some timber under the bearers (assuming there are any) might
give you a start?

I did wonder about some kind of pulley/ratchet arrangement, but there's
nothing secure enough to attach the pulley to.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2020 10:19, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 06 Sep 2020 22:48:59 +0100, T i m wrote:

We have also moved some heavy stuff on wooden rollers (round fence
posts),
but the problem you may have is getting the shed up high enough (without
damaging it) and keeping control of it whilst doing so.

Given 30 seconds ago I grumbled about random YT clips, I won't post i.t
but there's a few clips of a yank spinning 4 tonne stones around with his
little finger. He made them after being told how hard it must have been
to build stonehenge - he also showed how it only needs 5 or ten people
(who know what they are doing) to put the lintels on.

I'm always a little sceptical when I hear claims of how many thousands
"it must have taken" on projects like stonehenge. I think our ancestors
were smarter than that.

What you will find with a small(ish) wooden shed is that it is much
lighter than you think but difficult to man-handle just due to its size.
Even something as simple as temporarily attaching two long pieces of
wood at thigh height to the front and back provides lifting handles for
4 people to get the shed 6 inches off the ground to carry easily to a
new location. Sheds are often poor quality and just about fit for
purpose and what should be avoided is twisting the structure whilst moving.

What you often see on TV is archaeologists with no engineering
experience proposing impractical methods to test their own pet theories.
If you watch one of the lesser TV channels they present absolute proof
on how Stonehenge and the pyramids (in both Egypt and South America)
were built. They were build using anti-gravity technology by aliens who
came down in their spaceships.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07 Sep 2020 10:10:17 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
We had some proper heavy 'Shifting skates', that assuming the surface
was good enough would allow you to left some really heavy weights very
easily (Dad was in the lifting gear game for a while). ;-)

We have also moved some heavy stuff on wooden rollers (round fence
posts), but the problem you may have is getting the shed up high
enough (without damaging it) and keeping control of it whilst doing
so.

I thought about sliding it on something slippy... plastic boards or
something.

Yup, that could work but maybe only depending on the rigidity of the
boards and the firmness of the ground (to stop the boards flexing and
corners / edges 'digging in').

Although it would need some means of exerting force on it -
isn't so easy to push as it's in a corner.

I think pulling and from low down might be the safest thing.

What is the actual shed made of as that can make a big difference re
how much distortion it can take? If it's plastic panels with a wooden
floor then you might easily stress the fastenings. Also, what are the
slabs resting on, just earth?

It's all wood,

That could make it heavy or light, depending on the construction and
wood. ;-)

except some polycarb for the window which can probably be
taken out.

I think if it got as far as distorting the panels enough to break the
polycarb you might have bigger problems and the polycarb (depending on
thickness) might help keep it all together. ;-)

I think the slabs are just resting on earth, although I can't
tell because they're underneath the shed

So will it be moving over the same? eg, Will you be moving it off
slabs on earth to more (yet to be placed?) slabs on earth?

I think if the slabs are a complete patch (rather than just at set
positions like corners and the ends / middles of the bearers) then I
think you are still in with a chance. If just the corners etc, that
could make it much more difficult (depending on the strength of the
shed and your pulling power).

If the whole structure is reasonably strong, strong enough to be
listed up by one edge, a few long levers along one edge allowing you
to get some timber under the bearers (assuming there are any) might
give you a start?

I did wonder about some kind of pulley/ratchet arrangement, but there's
nothing secure enough to attach the pulley to.

A h/d strap pinned very low where you can, maybe round the bearers /
floor level and then pulling from that. I have a little Tirfor
'Jockey' wire rope winch (that could probably damage the shed if you
kept winching and it didn't move) ... as long as you can also get a
good anchorage in the right direction?

I think the biggest issue (without a crane) might be the consistency
of the ground.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I (still) have a 8'x6' taylor made wooden shed in my Mums back
garden, bought for me (to act as my own workshop) when I was about 16.

It's still pretty sound, all but the bearers it sits on and whilst
it's on nice flat concrete with at least 8' access at either end,
getting something underneath to take the load again wouldn't be easy.
In an idea world I'd roll it over onto it's face, remove the old
bearers and fit the new ones ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

Theo
.

Depending on how much space around the sides you have, just get two 3m
lengths of 2"x3" timber from B&Q (or whatever), screw them to the
sides of the shed with half a metre extending each end to make
handles. 4 people, pick it up and move it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/09/2020 21:55, Theo wrote:

[...]

it goes a long way beyond flammable

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

Theo
.

I moved a green house about a metre on concrete. I was able to lift it just
enough to slip some round metal under the bottom edge in about six places.
Then two of us, myself and a daughter, rolled it.

I used a crow bar to lift the bottom just enough to get the rollers in.

I used bits of metal I had around, a couple of old drill bits, some metal
bar, steel pipe etc. About 10 or 12 mm dia.

One bit of glass broke due to distorting the frame while lifting.

However, it was in effect empty- it doesnt have a fixed floor. It stands
on an oversized concrete slap.

While the idea would work on a Shed, lifting it ( especially with contents)
would take more than a crowbar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 7 September 2020 11:48:27 UTC+1, wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Monday :
Hydrogen has more lifting power.

Even so, a hut full would not be enough to displace enough of the
heavier air, to make much difference to the weight of the huts fabric.

I'm not sure why you keep being stupid. The only significant effect it could have is to cause an explosion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep 2020 at 14:17:00 BST, "
wrote:

On Monday, 7 September 2020 11:48:27 UTC+1, wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Monday :
Hydrogen has more lifting power.

Even so, a hut full would not be enough to displace enough of the
heavier air, to make much difference to the weight of the huts fabric.

I'm not sure why you keep being stupid. The only significant effect it could
have is to cause an explosion.

Has it occurred to you that some of the suggestions on this thread may not
have been entirely serious?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 2:47:51 PM UTC+1, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 7 Sep 2020 at 14:17:00 BST, "
wrote:
On Monday, 7 September 2020 11:48:27 UTC+1, wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Monday :
Hydrogen has more lifting power.

Even so, a hut full would not be enough to displace enough of the
heavier air, to make much difference to the weight of the huts fabric.

I'm not sure why you keep being stupid. The only significant effect it could
have is to cause an explosion.

Has it occurred to you that some of the suggestions on this thread may not
have been entirely serious?

--
Roger Hayter

I got a shed from my neighbour. I told him not to be such a wimp and we lifted off the roof in one. I then took the rest of the shed apart and we carried the bits to mine. His wife helped with the roof. It made a difference.
I put the walls back up myself.
I waited until there was enough muscle before lifting the complete roof on. 3 15 year old boys and the disbelieving neighbour. **** it was heavy, or I did more than my share.
From the suggestions here I would now screw long enough planks to the front and back and wait until I had easy access to 4 couples.
It would be a doddle. 4 manual labourers could do it, but I aint that strong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/09/2020 13:24, Radio Man wrote:
However, it was in effect empty- it doesnt have a fixed floor. It stands
on an oversized concrete slap.

While the idea would work on a Shed, lifting it ( especially with contents)
would take more than a crowbar.

This may give you some ideas, he even moved a barn on his own!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pZ7uR6v8c

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
On 7 Sep 2020 at 14:17:00 BST, "
wrote:

On Monday, 7 September 2020 11:48:27 UTC+1, wrote:
tabbypurr formulated on Monday :
Hydrogen has more lifting power.

Even so, a hut full would not be enough to displace enough of the
heavier air, to make much difference to the weight of the huts fabric.

I'm not sure why you keep being stupid. The only significant effect it could
have is to cause an explosion.

Has it occurred to you that some of the suggestions on this thread may not
have been entirely serious?

I think shed-moving must be some kind of sport.

https://www.hfhacks.com/threads/movi...s-and-tires.6/

I love the tiny wheels the guy used to move the shed.

Doing stuff like that is fine, if the shed is up to it.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/09/2020 11:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

Build a temporary watertight dam around said shed, to include the new
position; seal said shed to make it watertight; fill dam with water;
float shed to new position; drain dam; job done.

Well, it's no more daft than balloons of helium/hydrogen!

I wish I'd thought of that.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2020 21:21, williamwright wrote:
On 07/09/2020 11:04, Chris Hogg wrote:

Build a temporary watertight dam around said shed, to include the new
position; seal said shed to make it watertight; fill dam with water;
float shed to new position; drain dam; job done.

Well, it's no more daft than balloons of helium/hydrogen!

I wish I'd thought of that.

Bill

Add a bit of Nitrous Oxide and the move is easy at 90+ mph
https://youtu.be/yAgdOa0D3Z8?t=19

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 September 2020 21:18:54 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
[...]

I can't recommend anyone to use hydrogen. H & S!
Bill

Good point - hydrogen sulphide it is!

NT