Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Moving a shed

On 06 Sep 2020 21:55:48 +0100 (BST), Theo
wrote:

We might be wanting to move a 2m x 2m garden shed, by about 1m and maybe
rotating it 90 degrees. It has plywood on the floor and appears to be
resting on paving slabs, not bolted down.

Beyond emptying it of stuff and getting N people to pick it up, any
suggestions for moving it easily? Perhaps sliding or rolling?

What immediately springs to mind are those giant crawler units used for
taking the Space Shuttle to the launch pad... maybe not.

We had some proper heavy 'Shifting skates', that assuming the surface
was good enough would allow you to left some really heavy weights very
easily (Dad was in the lifting gear game for a while). ;-)

We have also moved some heavy stuff on wooden rollers (round fence
posts), but the problem you may have is getting the shed up high
enough (without damaging it) and keeping control of it whilst doing
so.

What is the actual shed made of as that can make a big difference re
how much distortion it can take? If it's plastic panels with a wooden
floor then you might easily stress the fastenings. Also, what are the
slabs resting on, just earth?

If the whole structure is reasonably strong, strong enough to be
listed up by one edge, a few long levers along one edge allowing you
to get some timber under the bearers (assuming there are any) might
give you a start?

Have fun!

Cheers, T i m