Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Long Screws into Aluminium

I am fitting a pocket door and the frame is an aluminium box section.
The instructions assume that the stud wall will be a metal construction
and advises screwing through the metal upright into the aluminium frame
using a self-taping screw.

But my framing is timber so I will need something like a four inch
self-taping screw to fix in the same way. I could get away with
something a bit shorter if I counter-bored the timber first.

The frame is already installed so any holes in the aluminium will have
to be drilled through the timber.

Any suggestions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 15:54, Andrew wrote:
I am fitting a pocket door and the frame is an aluminium box section.
The instructions assume that the stud wall will be a metal construction
and advises screwing through the metal upright into the aluminium frame
using a self-taping screw.

Often a self drilling and self tapping screw which are designed to pull
the two sections of metal tightly together, with the two sections of
metal temporarily clamped before drilling/screwing.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive...200-pack/7483h

But my framing is timber so I will need something like a four inch
self-taping screw to fix in the same way. I could get away with
something a bit shorter if I counter-bored the timber first.

The frame is already installed so any holes in the aluminium will have
to be drilled through the timber.

Or drill a hole the size of the screw head on one side of the box
section ali to gain access to the inside of the box in order to screw
into the opposite side of the box section with a shorter screw into the
wood. Find rubber/plastic bungs to fill the hole(s)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 17:08, alan_m wrote:
On 30/08/2020 15:54, Andrew wrote:
I am fitting a pocket door and the frame is an aluminium box section.
The instructions assume that the stud wall will be a metal
construction and advises screwing through the metal upright into the
aluminium frame using a self-taping screw.

Often a self drilling and self tapping screw which are designed to pull
the two sections of metal tightly together,Â* with the two sections of
metal temporarily clamped before drilling/screwing.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/easydrive...200-pack/7483h

But my framing is timber so I will need something like a four inch
self-taping screw to fix in the same way. I could get away with
something a bit shorter if I counter-bored the timber first.

The frame is already installed so any holes in the aluminium will have
to be drilled through the timber.

Or drill a hole the size of the screw head on one side of the box
section ali to gain access to the inside of the box in order to screw
into the opposite side of the box section with a shorter screw into the
wood.Â* Find rubber/plastic bungs to fill the hole(s)

Or drill and tap for a suitable bolt like M5

--
"And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch".

Gospel of St. Mathew 15:14

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2020 15:54, Andrew wrote:
I am fitting a pocket door and the frame is an aluminium box section.
The instructions assume that the stud wall will be a metal construction
and advises screwing through the metal upright into the aluminium frame
using a self-taping screw.

But my framing is timber so I will need something like a four inch
self-taping screw to fix in the same way. I could get away with
something a bit shorter if I counter-bored the timber first.

In which case you could probably get away with a normal twinthread wood
screw (the end profile is not that different from a self tapper).
Predrill the ali with a drill the same size as the core of the screw,
and you will probably need an impact driver the drive the screw,

The frame is already installed so any holes in the aluminium will have
to be drilled through the timber.

Any suggestions?

Another less aesthetic option would be to drill and countersink the
frame and screw from that direction into the timber.

--
Cheers,

John.