Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wet loft insulation

Another unexpected problem here. Someone left a skylight window open
during heavy rain and now some of the loft insulation is very wet. Can
I just bring the loft insulation into my flat for a few days to dry
out? Will it have come to any harm?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott Wrote in message:
Another unexpected problem here. Someone left a skylight window open
during heavy rain and now some of the loft insulation is very wet. Can
I just bring the loft insulation into my flat for a few days to dry
out? Will it have come to any harm?

How do you know it's very wet Scotty?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think I would be more concerned with the plasterboard ceiling which can start to bow and even collapse if thoroughly wet. I would remove the insulation, if it is only a small area it may not be worth waiting for it to dry out so replacement is probably easiest.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 19:35, Scott wrote:
Another unexpected problem here. Someone left a skylight window open
during heavy rain and now some of the loft insulation is very wet. Can
I just bring the loft insulation into my flat for a few days to dry
out? Will it have come to any harm?

Better left undisturbed I would have thought - it will dry out where it is.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 12:11:21 -0700 (PDT), Tricky Dicky
wrote:

I think I would be more concerned with the plasterboard ceiling which can start to bow and even collapse if thoroughly wet. I would remove the insulation, if it is only a small area it may not be worth waiting for it to dry out so replacement is probably easiest.

Thankfully it's not plasterboard. It's lath and plaster. I have had
worse leaks over the years that have dried out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 27/08/2020 21:05, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 20:13:48 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 27/08/2020 19:35, Scott wrote:
Another unexpected problem here. Someone left a skylight window open
during heavy rain and now some of the loft insulation is very wet. Can
I just bring the loft insulation into my flat for a few days to dry
out? Will it have come to any harm?

Better left undisturbed I would have thought - it will dry out where it is.

+1

+2

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I very much doubt it , personally, I had snow on mine due to the wrong type
of snow one year, after filling buckets with the powdered snow this left wet
insulation and it dried off in situ actually.
I guess there is a chance of something like mould growing but the
insulation did suggest it had a fungicide coating.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" wrote in message
Another unexpected problem here. Someone left a skylight window open
during heavy rain and now some of the loft insulation is very wet. Can
I just bring the loft insulation into my flat for a few days to dry
out? Will it have come to any harm?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had a dripping loft tank tap and it brought that type of ceiling down,
what a mess, bits of soggy plaster and wood all over the bedroom. Sadly it
now is plasterboard, so a large pice of plastic is under the tap, just in
case.

wrote:

I think I would be more concerned with the plasterboard ceiling which can
start to bow and even collapse if thoroughly wet. I would remove the
insulation, if it is only a small area it may not be worth waiting for it
to dry out so replacement is probably easiest.

Thankfully it's not plasterboard. It's lath and plaster. I have had
worse leaks over the years that have dried out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think I would be more concerned with the plasterboard ceiling which can start to bow and even collapse if thoroughly wet. I would remove the insulation, if it is only a small area it may not be worth waiting for it to dry out so replacement is probably easiest.

Thankfully it's not plasterboard. It's lath and plaster. I have had
worse leaks over the years that have dried out.

Buy some canes, normally for runner beans and lift the wet insulation
up and support it on the canes at right angles to the joists so that
air can circulate over and under your loft insulation.

Loft insulation, unlike cavity wall batts, is not treated with
water repellent so can be difficult to dry before it gets a
chance to turn smelly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think I would be more concerned with the plasterboard ceiling which
can start to bow and even collapse if thoroughly wet. I would remove
the insulation, if it is only a small area it may not be worth
waiting for it to dry out so replacement is probably easiest.

Thankfully it's not plasterboard.Â* It's lath and plaster.Â* I have had
worse leaks over the years that have dried out.

Buy some canes, normally for runner beans and lift the wet insulation
up and support it on the canes at right angles to the joists so that
air can circulate over and under your loft insulation.

Loft insulation, unlike cavity wall batts, is not treated with
water repellent so can be difficult to dry before it gets a
chance to turn smelly.

Does rather depend on that its made out of. Much will be glass fibre -
and that does not really hold water that well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:37:20 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:
[snip]

Does rather depend on that its made out of. Much will be glass fibre -
and that does not really hold water that well.

It doesn't feel like glass fibre. It is very soft and does not affect
my skin even if I squeeze it. It is drying out well. I think I have
been lucky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2020 09:47, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:37:20 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:
[snip]

Does rather depend on that its made out of. Much will be glass fibre -
and that does not really hold water that well.

It doesn't feel like glass fibre. It is very soft and does not affect
my skin even if I squeeze it. It is drying out well. I think I have
been lucky.

Rockwool is a common one, although there are other products that are
becoming popular which are less irritating to the skin.

Its quite common on older places with no sarking, for snow to get blown
into the loft - often in significant quantities. Usually that would melt
and dry out in time, and you would not be aware of it unless you looked
in the loft for some reason.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 August 2020 09:47:39 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:37:20 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:
[snip]

Does rather depend on that its made out of. Much will be glass fibre -
and that does not really hold water that well.

It doesn't feel like glass fibre. It is very soft and does not affect
my skin even if I squeeze it. It is drying out well. I think I have
been lucky.

A fan generally speeds up drying a good bit

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 12:20:01 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 29/08/2020 09:47, Scott wrote:
On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:37:20 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:
[snip]

Does rather depend on that its made out of. Much will be glass fibre -
and that does not really hold water that well.

It doesn't feel like glass fibre. It is very soft and does not affect
my skin even if I squeeze it. It is drying out well. I think I have
been lucky.

Rockwool is a common one, although there are other products that are
becoming popular which are less irritating to the skin.

Its quite common on older places with no sarking, for snow to get blown
into the loft - often in significant quantities. Usually that would melt
and dry out in time, and you would not be aware of it unless you looked
in the loft for some reason.

Thanks. This is all highly reassuring. I only looked when I became
of the rainfall in my flat :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only reason I mentioned the damage to the plasterboard was based on my own experience after the ******s of so called roofers left the boiler flue disconnected. Although water condensed on a considerable area of the loft below the tiles only the area immediately around the flue was wet through. It was the plasterboard bellying downwards and starting to crack alerted us to the issue.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks. In this case regrettably I was the ******.