Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Remotely connecting to PC

Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs.. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ability.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows
10 PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could
remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was
wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening
up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that
would be beyond their technical ability.

You could open up a port on *your* router, proided you could talk them
through an install of VNC on their PCs? Then you ask them to make a
reverseVNC connection to your IP addr and that gives you remote control
of their PC ...

Otherwise AnyDesk or Teamviewer I think are free for non-commercial use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Otherwise AnyDesk or Teamviewer I think are free for non-commercial use.

Scratch that for Ubuntu ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell explained on 27/08/2020 :
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs.
I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely connect to
their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone has come
across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port forwarding etc
would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ability.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

Does Teamviewer not work on Linux? It's free for 'personal' use so as
long as you don't take the whizz you'll be fine - teamviewer.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cliff Topp laid this down on his screen :
Lee Nowell explained on 27/08/2020 :
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10
PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely
connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if
anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports /
port forwarding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their
technical ability.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

Does Teamviewer not work on Linux? It's free for 'personal' use so as long as
you don't take the whizz you'll be fine - teamviewer.com

Yep, Teamviewer works on Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 19:26, Cliff Topp wrote:
Lee Nowell explained on 27/08/2020 :
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows
10 PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could
remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was
wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening
up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that
would be beyond their technical ability.
Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks
Lee.

Does Teamviewer not work on Linux? It's free for 'personal' use so as
long as you don't take the whizz you'll be fine - teamviewer.com

Does dynamic IP addresses on the Windows 10 PCs add another hurdle to
connecting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 19:22, Andy Burns wrote:

Lee Nowell wrote:

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows
10 PCs.Â* I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could
remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was
wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening
up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that
would be beyond their technical ability.

You could open up a port on *your* router, proided you could talk them
through an install of VNC on their PCs?Â* Then you ask them to make a
reverseVNC connection to your IP addr and that gives you remote control
of their PC ...

Otherwise AnyDesk or Teamviewer I think are free for non-commercial use.

I used to use TeamViewer and now I use NoMachine. I can't remember why
exactly, but I think the free version of TeamViewer was logging me off
after a few minutes, trying to get me to buy the commercial version.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert used his keyboard to write :
On 27/08/2020 19:26, Cliff Topp wrote:
Lee Nowell explained on 27/08/2020 :
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10
PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely
connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if
anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports /
port forwarding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their
technical ability.
Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks
Lee.

Does Teamviewer not work on Linux? It's free for 'personal' use so as long
as you don't take the whizz you'll be fine - teamviewer.com

Does dynamic IP addresses on the Windows 10 PCs add another hurdle to
connecting.

No, it just connects
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 19:17, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs.. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ability.

Any thoughts appreciated

Teamviewer is free for non commercial use.

However there is a relatively new entrant:

https://remotedesktop.google.com

(it does not need chrome and is multi platform).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 19:25:49 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Otherwise AnyDesk or Teamviewer I think are free for non-commercial use.

Scratch that for Ubuntu ...

Oh, has that changed then as it used to be available on Ubuntu (and
free), albeit that it actually ran under WINE (as I've had / have it
here on several such machines)?

To Lee, you can (could?) also run Teamviewer on your Smartphone if you
are caught out.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 19:46:39 +0100, Cliff Topp wrote:

[...]

Because (I believe it) it uses their server / DNS to establish the
connection.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Otherwise AnyDesk or Teamviewer I think are free for non-commercial use.

Scratch that for Ubuntu ...

Oh, has that changed then as it used to be available on Ubuntu

Didn't realise teamviewer had a linux version, but unlikely that anydesk
does...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho wrote:

I think the free version of TeamViewer was logging me off after a few
minutes, trying to get me to buy the commercial version.

I tend to assume any such free service will either go commercial, or go
away, hence VNC being my preferred option ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell Wrote in message:
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ability.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

TeamViewer ?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 20:33:24 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Otherwise AnyDesk or Teamviewer I think are free for non-commercial use.

Scratch that for Ubuntu ...

Oh, has that changed then as it used to be available on Ubuntu

Didn't realise teamviewer had a linux version,

They don't have a native Linux version but one that downloads like a
..deb / APT package and runs automagically under WINE (re Ubuntu etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

[...]

There's something here called Remmina.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/conn...desktop-ubuntu

Windows has RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), the details of
which probably change from one Windows release to the next.

I think I had Windows-to-Windows running here once, as a test,
but generally, I hate remoting. It's like wearing a garbage
can on your head, as a hat. Feels claustrophobic. I think part
of that could be that my screen isn't big enough for this stuff.
Maybe a 4K screen would be nicer (more tolerant of the
variability of the target machine).

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows
10 PCs.Â* I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could
remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was
wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening
up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that
would be beyond their technical ability.

You could open up a port on *your* router, proided you could talk
them through an install of VNC on their PCs?Â* Then you ask them to
[...]

Windows RDP works with multiple screens, it uses a virtual display
driver so isn't dependent on the display of the remote machine.

I'm generally happy with RDP, W10 to W10, I use it a lot. I did play
with RDP from Linux to W10 a couple of times. However, I'm still using a
W10 machine for my TV so it wasn't quite good enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

[...]

There is an even better win 10 to win 10 app called Quick Assist. No
faffinf with ports or routers, and it is really just like being at the
remote computer at the physical location.

I use it all the time with the Outlaws, installing office 365, their new
Web cam (all they had to do was plug it in at their end when asked to)
installed their printer drivers (they bought a new printer) plus all the
useful utilities found on Ninite.com (what a time saver)

If you are not a windows 10 user, then you can fire up a windows 10
virtual machine on your own PC and use Quick Assist from that VM.

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote:

[...]

With RDP only the remote user can see the display, and also when you
logout, it leaves the local display on the login screen.

So for some applications where both local and remote need to see what is
going on, or for doing remote assistance its less useful. Particularly
if trying to interact with a machine doing some kind of "display"
activity like running a TV or video presentation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2020 10:43, John Rumm wrote:

With RDP only the remote user can see the display, and also when you
logout, it leaves the local display on the login screen.

So for some applications where both local and remote need to see what is
going on, or for doing remote assistance its less useful. Particularly
if trying to interact with a machine doing some kind of "display"
activity like running a TV or video presentation.

Yes, I have two very distinct use cases. Which is why I use NoMachine
and RDP.

If I want to work as if I was sitting in front of a remote computer, I
much prefer RDP. This use case being analogous to the old idea of a
remote mini computer and a terminal. If I'm just using a computer as a
terminal, I don't need a powerful expensive one, hence my interest in
RDP from Linux to Win 10. Something like a slightly more powerful
Raspberry Pi would be OK.

If I want to interact or work collaboratively I use NoMachine (or
Teamviewer or VNC)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 11:17:15 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs=
. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely conne=
ct to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone =
has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port for=
warding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ab=
ility.=20

Any thoughts appreciated=20

When I was enquiring about cross-platform support on Linux I was
pointed to:

https://anydesk.com/en

Haven't got round to trying it but it seemed interesting enough for me
to make a note of it in my "software to consider" section.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 21:22, Jimk wrote:
Lee Nowell Wrote in message:
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely connect to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port forwarding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ability.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks

Lee.

TeamViewer ?

"Your bank account has been compromised", "Allow us
to connect to your computer and move your savings to
another safe account"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 15:26:32 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

snip

TeamViewer ?

"Your bank account has been compromised", "Allow us
to connect to your computer and move your savings to
another safe account"

I was helping an older lady sort her Laptop out and installed
Teamviewer on there for her. When I initially ran it it wouldn't
connect and I don't think I could ping it either and I Googled the
issue. Turns out her ISP blocks it by default, (for reasons you cite),
soon removed via their online chat.

The same applied to TV on my phone when using her WiFi, ok on mobile
data.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 19:17, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely connect to their PC over the internet.

Yeah, but they will soon keep calling you back as it seems so effortless
to them.

After me getting so many requests to sort out their windows problems, to
the point that one lady thought I was available to type her dictated
letters, I suggested to one to go Apple and one other I flattened the
machine and installed Linux.

Never heard from either again....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

TeamViewer ?

"Your bank account has been compromised", "Allow us
to connect to your computer and move your savings to
another safe account"

I was helping an older lady sort her Laptop out and installed
Teamviewer on there for her. When I initially ran it it wouldn't
connect and I don't think I could ping it either and I Googled the
issue. Turns out her ISP blocks it by default, (for reasons you cite),
soon removed via their online chat.

Teamviewer throws up a big warning if you accept a support connection
from India now :-) Which caused a number of scammers to initiate a
connection in the other direction (i.e. you controlling them) and then
ask you to flip the direction. That made for some good sport for the
scammer baiters!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi All,

Since lockdown a few friends have asked me to sort out their windows 10 PCs=
. I was thinking that this would be a lot easier if I could remotely conne=
ct to their PC over the internet. I run Ubuntu and was wondering if anyone =
has come across a neat solution to this. Opening up router ports / port for=
warding etc would be challenging as that would be beyond their technical ab=
ility.=20

Any thoughts appreciated=20

When I was enquiring about cross-platform support on Linux I was
pointed to:

https://anydesk.com/en

Haven't got round to trying it but it seemed interesting enough for me
to make a note of it in my "software to consider" section.

ConnectWise (previously ScreenConnect) also does linux support. (you can
also self host the server end, and not pay ongoing fees for commercial use)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 28 Aug 2020 23:33:40 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

snip

Teamviewer throws up a big warning if you accept a support connection
from India now :-) Which caused a number of scammers to initiate a
connection in the other direction (i.e. you controlling them) and then
ask you to flip the direction. That made for some good sport for the
scammer baiters!

Yeah, I think I saw some Youtube CCTV footage from a spammers call
centre (that the spam baiters had also hacked) of one of them (and
then the others) reacting to *their* machines being attacked. ;-)

The Mrs generally just tells them to f'off and I'll play with them a
bit if I have the time and am in the mood (if they are wasting time on
me they won't be attacking anyone else).

One of my questions with some of the more technical sounding ones is
'You sound like you know what you are doing, why can't you get a
proper support job'?

Did you see that on TV recently when a small phone repair Co had been
taken out of business by people leaving negative reviews. It turned
out people (in India in this case) were being paid £100 / neg review
and when confronted (online / phone) wouldn't retract them because
that's how they earned their living. Well, I think they would retract
them but only at £100 per review!

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas. I wasn't sure whether the net of the comments was that TeamViewer was insecure or it just happens to be used by some hackers?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 02:52:43 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas. I wasn't sure whether the net of the comments was that TeamViewer was insecure or it just happens to be used by some hackers?

Hi Lee,

Yes, the latter.

It's all I've really used since a bit of VNC and my PC Anywhere days
and it works very well.

Because I have been known to help a lot of people, it did a couple of
times lock me out with a 'Commercial uses detected' but would then run
ok on a different PC and the lockout wasn't for long (but I was using
it quite a bit and some very long sessions, when remotely resolving /
servicing neglected friends / family machines).

In one case I completely remotely installed Linux on a laptop for
someone I met though Freecycle, firstly by downloading and burning a
Live Linux DVD, getting them to boot from it and install Teamviewer
and them me installing Linux from there. ;-)

As long as the list is reasonable I have always found it to be very
very reliable (and will also 'reconnect' using the same credentials of
you disconnect by mistake or it drops out for some reason (normally
the password will change each time, if not set etc).

Cheers, T i m

p.s. The bread baking is still a regular thing here but with the same
outcome (slightly smaller / denser that 'expected' loaves), pretty
well irrespective of the process! In fact, I didn't kneed the last two
loaves *at all* and whilst they didn't seem to rise quite as much
whilst proving, they rose a bit in the oven. ;-)

So, their (Wrights Flour) instructions say: Add water and mix for 5
mins (I probably mix for 30 seconds as it's thoroughly mixed (by hand)
at that point. Leave to stand for 5 mins (I don't), kneed for 5 mins
(I didn't the last two at all but have kneaded for 20 mins with no
noticeable difference), leave for stand for 5 mins (I don't), cover (I
don't) and leave to prove for ~30 mins (I do), stick in GMK8 oven for
30 mins (I do, well, 20 then swap the loaves round). Leave to cool.
Put one in a bag in the fridge, keep one out (in a bag) to use. Both
last a good few days with little sign of drying out or going mouldy
etc. Even the last slice we eat is still 'too good' to toast. ;-)

We have now tried probably 5 of their pre-mixes and they all have
worked and been enjoyed by us. Just as well the slices are not as big
as a factory loaf as they are quite filling!

https://www.wrightsflour.co.uk/products/retail-packs

Classic Ciabatta Bread Mix (experiment)
Mixed Grain Bread Mix
Malty Bread Mix
Oat & Linseed Bread Mix (experiment)
Farmhouse Wholemeal Bread Mix

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2020 10:52, Lee Nowell wrote:
Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas. I wasn't sure whether the net
of the comments was that TeamViewer was insecure or it just happens
to be used by some hackers?

TV itself is (as far as I am aware) secure - however its a popular tool
for scammer use...

Quite often they talk marks though using an alternative tool to get up
and running, then once they have remote control switch to TV. That way
they can avoid the user seeing the warnings from TV, but still take
advantage of TV's capability to blank the users screen (handy when they
want to hack the HTML of the users bank page to create fake money in
accounts).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2020 12:04, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/08/2020 10:52, Lee Nowell wrote:
Thanks all for your thoughts and ideas. I wasn't sure whether the net
of the comments was that TeamViewer was insecure or it just happens
to be used by some hackers?

TV itself is (as far as I am aware) secure - however its a popular tool
for scammer use...

Quite often they talk marks though using an alternative tool to get up
and running, then once they have remote control switch to TV. That way
they can avoid the user seeing the warnings from TV, but still take
advantage of TV's capability to blank the users screen (handy when they
want to hack the HTML of the users bank page to create fake money in
accounts).

That reminds me that TalkTalk block Teamviewer (or at least did in
March). It took me a little while to cotton on to that when trying to
help someone. I thought it worth mentioning as Lee wd have to get the
account holder to contact TalkTalk support to get the block removed.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 16:29:08 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 08:56:15 +0100, T i m wrote:

Did you see that on TV recently when a small phone repair Co had been
taken out of business by people leaving negative reviews. It turned out
people (in India in this case) were being paid £100 / neg review

Already it sounds like ********.

shrugTwas what the guy who's Co had been destroyed found out and
said it?

That's getting on for 4 hours for a
skilled developer in India.

And?

What *is* the standard rate for doing something immoral / illegal OOI?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks very much all will give TV a try.

Remotely controlled water heater? gary Metalworking 3 January 30th 15 09:18 PM
OT helping elderly person with their Android tablet remotely Murmansk UK diy 4 December 28th 14 02:47 PM
Initiate a phone call remotely? Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 56 December 11th 12 12:20 AM
Remotely Controlled Mower John UK diy 2 June 11th 08 04:14 PM
Security Camera Kit Remotely Viewable over the Internet ! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 26th 07 05:19 PM