Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Remotely controlled water heater?

I have 2 water heaters, plumbed in series.

1 is turned off, as 1 is normally adequate.

Would like to be able to turn heater "ON", remotely via internet/wifi,
when I will need more that the usual amount.

thanks

gary
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/29/2015 9:13 PM, gary wrote:
I have 2 water heaters, plumbed in series.

1 is turned off, as 1 is normally adequate.

Would like to be able to turn heater "ON", remotely via internet/wifi,
when I will need more that the usual amount.

thanks

gary

Google will get you many options.
Looks like the whole shebang can cost you $300.
Plus permit fees and inspections should you decide
to be compliant with local building codes.

But...
Have you done the math?

When I looked at water heater setback, I concluded
that the thermal time constant of the heater was so
long that I would save almost zip by turning it off.
Takes only slightly more energy to heat it back up than I saved
by turning it off. The better the tank insulation, the
less you save.

In your case, you're gonna heat up 50 gallons of water then
let it all cool back down when you're done.
Might be more cost effective to raise the main heater temperature
a few degrees to get that extra capacity most of the time.
The devil is in the details of usage. You have to do the math.

If you need this functionality frequently and are unable to
plan ahead, you might find that the payback is less than never...maybe.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:13:24 -0700, gary wrote:

I have 2 water heaters, plumbed in series.

I'm guessing electric?

1 is turned off, as 1 is normally adequate.

Would like to be able to turn heater "ON", remotely via internet/wifi,
when I will need more that the usual amount.

Rheem has a nice app for that. It goes with their $2k WH.

X-10, Insteon, Leviton, or Lutron could be used with software and a
heavy duty relay. Automation module plugs into the wall, relay splices
into the 240v power into the WH. Set the WH to normal heat and ON,
then control power via the module/relay. Software on the PC controls
the module.

--
If more sane people were armed,
crazy people would get off fewer shots.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, January 29, 2015 at 9:13:24 PM UTC-8, gary wrote:
I have 2 water heaters, plumbed in series.

1 is turned off, as 1 is normally adequate.

Would like to be able to turn heater "ON", remotely via internet/wifi,
when I will need more that the usual amount.

What you want, is an on-demand water heater; one that sees
the flow in the hot water outlet and instantly responds. No
internet or wifi required, the hot water tap is the only control
required. They're available, and will save you money by not
having a full-tank leak of heat to ambient air during OFF phase.

indirect water heater vs. electric water heater. [email protected] Home Repair 1 November 10th 14 03:22 AM
Initiate a phone call remotely? Roger Mills[_2_] UK diy 56 December 11th 12 12:20 AM
Tankless vs Tank water heater. Whats will last longer? I already havea high powered solar water heater. rishi khanna Home Repair 46 August 26th 11 04:00 PM
Remotely Controlled Mower John UK diy 2 June 11th 08 04:14 PM
Security Camera Kit Remotely Viewable over the Internet ! [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 March 26th 07 05:19 PM