Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting galvanised steel

I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Mordaunt solution...

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk Wrote in message:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Mordaunt solution...

Mordant
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2020 08:51, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Leave them to weather until the shine goes, then paint them.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 August 2020 09:17:09 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
Jimk Wrote in message:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Mordaunt solution...

Mordant

Mordant is:

1. A reagent, such as tannic acid, that fixes dyes to cells, tissues, or textiles or other materials.
2. A corrosive substance, such as an acid, used in etching.

Which doesn't identify which substance(s) you are suggesting.

I am well aware of the term. Does vinegar work as a mordant on galvanised steel?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 August 2020 09:28:07 UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
On 14/08/2020 08:51, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Leave them to weather until the shine goes, then paint them.

I want to get on with my project now so leaving them to weather is not an appealing approach.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2020 10:19, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 14 August 2020 09:28:07 UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
On 14/08/2020 08:51, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Leave them to weather until the shine goes, then paint them.

I want to get on with my project now so leaving them to weather is not an appealing approach.

In which case I would just get on with it. Mind you, I would not
normally bother to paint galvanized.

I don't see much logic to using an etch-primer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2020 08:51, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Won't vinegar remove the galvanising zinc? Maybe that's the idea.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2020 11:52, Clive Arthur wrote:
On 14/08/2020 08:51, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint
adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on,
leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to
arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Won't vinegar remove the galvanising zinc?Â* Maybe that's the idea.

You would need an awful lot of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2020 08:51, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5...ag=googhydr-21

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 August 2020 12:19:39 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5...ag=googhydr-21

Bill

Thanks - I had managed top miss that. So many products which do some sort of cold galvanising so search times tend to find them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Mind you, I would not
normally bother to paint galvanized.

Railings on a garden etc wall?

--
*Also too, never, ever use repetitive redundancies *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk Wrote in message:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Mordaunt solution...

Mordant

Mordant is:

1. A reagent, such as tannic acid, that fixes dyes to cells, tissues, or textiles or other materials.
2. A corrosive substance, such as an acid, used in etching.

Which doesn't identify which substance(s) you are suggesting.

I bought some from Screwfix & used it in exactly similar circumstances.

I didn't attempt to cheapskate it.

YMMV
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
newshound wrote:
Mind you, I would not
normally bother to paint galvanized.

Railings on a garden etc wall?

Probably hot dipped galvanised, like the 20 year old unpainted gate
hinges I recently re-used after the gate had rotted and needed to be
replaced. The electro-galvanized fixings had, however, rusted and I used
stainless steel screws and coach bolts instead.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar Wrote in message:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
Mind you, I would not
normally bother to paint galvanized.

Railings on a garden etc wall?

Probably hot dipped galvanised, like the 20 year old unpainted gate
hinges I recently re-used after the gate had rotted and needed to be
replaced. The electro-galvanized fixings had, however, rusted and I used
stainless steel screws and coach bolts instead.

SS coach bolts sounds pricey!?

Agree on hot dip galv, it's the dogs...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 August 2020 16:17:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

I bought some from Screwfix & used it in exactly similar circumstances.

I didn't attempt to cheapskate it.

YMMV

A search on Screwfix for "mordant" doesn't find anything. Can you give me a little more of a hint? A product name would be really helpful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2020 14:13, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 14 August 2020 12:19:39 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5...ag=googhydr-21

Bill

Thanks - I had managed top miss that. So many products which do some sort of cold galvanising so search times tend to find them.

Have you considered powder coating?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
On Friday, 14 August 2020 16:17:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

I bought some from Screwfix & used it in exactly similar circumstances.

I didn't attempt to cheapskate it.

YMMV

A search on Screwfix for "mordant" doesn't find anything. Can you give me a little more of a hint? A product name would be really helpful.

Screwfix mordant solution

FFS Google "mordant solution" - first 5+ hits are products...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 8:52:01 AM UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

You need an "etch primer" or the paint will just peel off.
"Hammerite" does one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/08/2020 16:57, Jimk wrote:
nightjar Wrote in message:
In article ,
newshound wrote:
Mind you, I would not
normally bother to paint galvanized.

Railings on a garden etc wall?

Probably hot dipped galvanised, like the 20 year old unpainted gate
hinges I recently re-used after the gate had rotted and needed to be
replaced. The electro-galvanized fixings had, however, rusted and I used
stainless steel screws and coach bolts instead.

SS coach bolts sounds pricey!?

Less than a couple of quid each for 12mm dia. IIRC. Not a lot for
something I hope will also last 20 years.

Agree on hot dip galv, it's the dogs...

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 August 2020 17:54:32 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:
On 14/08/2020 14:13, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Friday, 14 August 2020 12:19:39 UTC+1, williamwright wrote:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hammerite-5...ag=googhydr-21

Bill

Thanks - I had managed top miss that. So many products which do some sort of cold galvanising so search times tend to find them.

Have you considered powder coating?

Bill

Yes - but it doesn't work with my piecemeal approach to buying, fettling, and assembling the project. If I make another one (and therefore know the parts I'll need) that will be an option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 August 2020 19:17:28 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 8:52:01 AM UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

You need an "etch primer" or the paint will just peel off.
"Hammerite" does one.

I know that is one of the standard approaches. I have some on order. But I'd like to do some bits already.

I've also read of some people doing the vinegar thing regardless that they are going down one of the proper painting approaches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, do they have holes made in them or sharp edges. Myself before
labelling on paint I'd do those suspect areas with zinc primer or similar,
as once rust starts.....
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint
adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave
for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to
arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 00:51:58 -0700 (PDT), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

I have a very minor requirement to paint some galvanised steel.

There are some mentions, out there, of using vinegar to enable paint adhesion. (Rather than expensive etch primers, etc.) Paint it on, leave for a while, wash off.

Anyone got experience?

The items are brand new and shiny. (Well, still waiting for some to arrive. But I expect them to be!)

Ammonia, 1:10 solution, apply with a light rub using sandpaper/scotchbrite pad,
a stiff brush where sandpaper won't reach.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 14 August 2020 18:14:26 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
On Friday, 14 August 2020 16:17:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

I bought some from Screwfix & used it in exactly similar circumstances.

I didn't attempt to cheapskate it.

YMMV

A search on Screwfix for "mordant" doesn't find anything. Can you give me a little more of a hint? A product name would be really helpful.

Screwfix mordant solution

FFS Google "mordant solution" - first 5+ hits are products...

I have:

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=mordant+solution

https://www.screwfix.com/search?sear...nt+solution%22

The first two hits are Liberon Knotting!

https://www.screwfix.com/search?search=mordant

Your search for 'mordant' did not match any products.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
On Friday, 14 August 2020 18:14:26 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
On Friday, 14 August 2020 16:17:32 UTC+1, JimK wrote:

I bought some from Screwfix & used it in exactly similar circumstances.

I didn't attempt to cheapskate it.

YMMV

A search on Screwfix for "mordant" doesn't find anything. Can you give me a little more of a hint? A product name would be really helpful.

Screwfix mordant solution

FFS Google "mordant solution" - first 5+ hits are products...

I have:

Are you really such a dick?

I wrote :

"FFS Google "mordant solution" - first 5+ hits are products...

All the best.

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----