Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

Default Cleaning and painting galvanised steel

Hi

To cut along story short I need to build a structure in my garden which
is built out of scaffolding. I have bought some poles and connectors.
They were second hand so need to be cleaned and painted.

A cuple of questions

With regards to cleaning I am planning on sanding them down and then
using sugar soap to wipe them down. I have had good results with sugar
soap for cleaning some iron weights. Will suagr soap help or is there
something better? Its just to get the dust and stuff off really.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...der-430g/21982

The connectors are pretty filthy, some of them are just covered in dirt.
I will probably leave them in a solution of sugar soap and then wire
brush them. Any other ideas?

Secondly I need to paint the scaolld poles.

I have used Hammerite for another job recently and whilst it does the
job the stuff is far too expensive for the quantities I will need,

Therefore I plan on using anjormal metal primer and probably using gloss
or silk paint.

The structure will be left outside in all weather but not abuse so I
need paint that can stand weather but not necessarily 'use'. I
understand as long as I prime is properly the paint should just go
straight on.

Anyone know the cheapest way to paint galvanised steel? Hammerite or
using a seperate paint primer method?

If I can get them shiny and clean and silver I may not even need to
paint but that looks unlikely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2011 17:59, mo wrote:
Hi

To cut along story short I need to build a structure in my garden which
is built out of scaffolding. I have bought some poles and connectors.
They were second hand so need to be cleaned and painted.

A cuple of questions

With regards to cleaning I am planning on sanding them down and then
using sugar soap to wipe them down. I have had good results with sugar
soap for cleaning some iron weights. Will suagr soap help or is there
something better? Its just to get the dust and stuff off really.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...der-430g/21982

The connectors are pretty filthy, some of them are just covered in dirt.
I will probably leave them in a solution of sugar soap and then wire
brush them. Any other ideas?...

I would hire a grit blaster. They are ideal for complex shapes and a lot
faster than sanding. You won't need to soak first either.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

On 07/06/2011 17:59, mo wrote:
[...]

+1

Excellent bits of kit, very, very effective.

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , mo
writes
Therefore I plan on using anjormal metal primer and probably using
gloss or silk paint.

The structure will be left outside in all weather but not abuse so I
need paint that can stand weather but not necessarily 'use'. I
understand as long as I prime is properly the paint should just go
straight on.

I can't remember what we actually used, but when we painted the then new
hot dip galvanised fittings on the boat, we used a suitable,
for-galvanised primer followed by the same marine gloss paint that we
used on the rest of the boat ( I put my hand up at an auction and got
many cans of unknown colour paint - turned out to be all the same decent
colour for, I think, a fiver).
That was 25 years ago. We have only repainted where chains have run over
it. It is now a bit matt.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 7, 5:59*pm, mo wrote:
[...]

I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes
On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:
I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Hmm.. arc welding zinc coated items gives me a headache as does dust
from rust removal jobs.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mo mo is offline

"Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in
:

On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:
I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Colin Bignell

I dont want to pay out to hire a blaster

Will a good pressure washer do?

I can imagine it doing a job on the poles - connectors might be fiddly
though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 7, 11:09*pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:

I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Colin Bignell

It can however ruin the galvanised coating, specifically when its
electroplated.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 7, 11:41*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes

On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:
I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Hmm.. arc welding zinc coated items gives me a headache as does dust
from rust removal jobs.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Bit here onthe topic
http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
http://www.twi.co.uk/content/jk30.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Jun 7, 11:09 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:

I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Colin Bignell

It can however ruin the galvanised coating, specifically when its
electroplated.

That wouldn't matter though.. zinc corrodes in preference to the steel and
that's how it protects the steel. If its plated there isn't enough to
protect the steel (well not for as long as the paint will).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
harry writes
On Jun 7, 11:41*pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes

On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:
I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Hmm.. arc welding zinc coated items gives me a headache as does dust
from rust removal jobs.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Bit here onthe topic
http://www.sperkoengineering.com/htm...Galvanized.pdf
http://www.twi.co.uk/content/jk30.html

Right. Ta!

I doubt I do more than 5 hours welding in a year and never in a confined
space.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "dennis@home"
writes

"Tabby" wrote in message
On Jun 7, 11:09 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:

I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Colin Bignell

It can however ruin the galvanised coating, specifically when its
electroplated.

That wouldn't matter though.. zinc corrodes in preference to the steel
and that's how it protects the steel. If its plated there isn't enough
to protect the steel (well not for as long as the paint will).

I'd be quite interested to learn how most scaffolding is galvanised. I
was always told that hot-dip galvanising was the only "proper "
galvanising, and to avoid anything "spray galvanised". I assume this
referred to flame spray galvanising, where molten zinc is sprayed onto
the steel.

Is galvanising sometimes done by electroplating? I'd have thought the
sizes involved would have made the spray method the easiest.

Some of the scaffolding poles beside my shed show some yellow
discolouration, which I assume is very light rust.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/06/2011 00:51, mo wrote:
"Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote in
:

On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:
I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Colin Bignell

I dont want to pay out to hire a blaster

Will a good pressure washer do?

I've never used one, so I have no idea what they are capable of.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2011 23:41, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" writes
On 07/06/2011 20:21, Tabby wrote:
I wouldnt want to sand the zinc coating.

The main problems is that it would be extremely tedious to do. Zinc
dust, however, has no known long term effects on health and the short
term ones are readily avoided by wearing appropriate protective gear.

Hmm.. arc welding zinc coated items gives me a headache as does dust
from rust removal jobs.

That is a short term effect, with no known long term consequences. You
really need a fume mask when welding and a good dust mask when abrading.
Dust proof goggles and gloves are a good idea too, as it can cause
temporary irritation.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:14:54 +0100, Bill wrote:

I'd be quite interested to learn how most scaffolding is galvanised. I
was always told that hot-dip galvanising was the only "proper "
galvanising.

That's the way UK spec steel scaffold poles are protected, inside and
out.