Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Cleaning and painting galvanised steel

In message , mo
writes
Therefore I plan on using anjormal metal primer and probably using
gloss or silk paint.

The structure will be left outside in all weather but not abuse so I
need paint that can stand weather but not necessarily 'use'. I
understand as long as I prime is properly the paint should just go
straight on.

I can't remember what we actually used, but when we painted the then new
hot dip galvanised fittings on the boat, we used a suitable,
for-galvanised primer followed by the same marine gloss paint that we
used on the rest of the boat ( I put my hand up at an auction and got
many cans of unknown colour paint - turned out to be all the same decent
colour for, I think, a fiver).
That was 25 years ago. We have only repainted where chains have run over
it. It is now a bit matt.
--
Bill