Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Cleaning and painting galvanised steel

On 07/06/2011 17:59, mo wrote:
Hi

To cut along story short I need to build a structure in my garden which
is built out of scaffolding. I have bought some poles and connectors.
They were second hand so need to be cleaned and painted.

A cuple of questions

With regards to cleaning I am planning on sanding them down and then
using sugar soap to wipe them down. I have had good results with sugar
soap for cleaning some iron weights. Will suagr soap help or is there
something better? Its just to get the dust and stuff off really.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsens...der-430g/21982

The connectors are pretty filthy, some of them are just covered in dirt.
I will probably leave them in a solution of sugar soap and then wire
brush them. Any other ideas?...

I would hire a grit blaster. They are ideal for complex shapes and a lot
faster than sanding. You won't need to soak first either.

Colin Bignell