Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's wrong with this product?

On 10/08/2020 18:17, Andrew wrote:
You still can't beat a good cup of tea with semi-skimmed and
sit in front of a fan.

Andrew

and a digestive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 18:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:17, Andrew wrote:
You still can't beat a good cup of tea with semi-skimmed and
sit in front of a fan.

Andrew

and a digestive

In Sainburys yesterday I noticed that the sugar-free Siro
digestives that cost £1 for 400 grammes, had a mix of old
stock and 'new' stock. New stock says 'new recipe', but is
only 300 grammes. Still £1.

FFS that is a 25% price increase. I'll just buy the
own label dark choc digestives now, also 400 grammes and
same price.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 19:38, Andrew wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:17, Andrew wrote:
You still can't beat a good cup of tea with semi-skimmed and
sit in front of a fan.

Andrew

and a digestive

In Sainburys yesterday I noticed that the sugar-free Siro
digestives that cost £1 for 400 grammes, had a mix of old
stock and 'new' stock. New stock says 'new recipe', but is
only 300 grammes. Still £1.

FFS that is a 25% price increase. I'll just buy the
own label dark choc digestives now, also 400 grammes and
same price.

I wonder if you'd have been more shocked by a 33% increase

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 19:38, Andrew wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:17, Andrew wrote:
You still can't beat a good cup of tea with semi-skimmed and
sit in front of a fan.

Andrew

and a digestive

In Sainburys yesterday I noticed that the sugar-free Siro
digestives that cost £1 for 400 grammes, had a mix of old
stock and 'new' stock. New stock says 'new recipe', but is
only 300 grammes. Still £1.

FFS that is a 25% price increase. I'll just buy the
own label dark choc digestives now, also 400 grammes and
same price.

go to the toilet fast biscuits I call them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... submitted this idea :
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

It is too good to be true. They are at best personal coolers.
Evaporation of water encouraged by a fan. They will not cool a room
down, rather they will fill a room with high humidity from the
evaporation.

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

How can it possibly have (as is claimed) the same cooling capacity as aircons
8 times the price?

Kidology. Hang a wet towel in front of a fan and it will work better.

Presumably, it doesn't, I'm guessing all it does is cool a tiny fraction of
the volume of the more expensive ones?

Yes and a proper one will cool a large room down and reduce the
humidity in the process.

How uncomfortable it feels is down to both temperature and humidity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :
might give it a try there are some very cheap ones on ebait .....

Try it for free - a wet towell with a fan blowing across it. More
effective and a no cost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 20:25, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 19:38, Andrew wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:17, Andrew wrote:
You still can't beat a good cup of tea with semi-skimmed and
sit in front of a fan.

Andrew
and a digestive

In Sainburys yesterday I noticed that the sugar-free Siro
digestives that cost £1 for 400 grammes, had a mix of old
stock and 'new' stock. New stock says 'new recipe', but is
only 300 grammes. Still £1.

FFS that is a 25% price increase. I'll just buy the
own label dark choc digestives now, also 400 grammes and
same price.

go to the toilet fast biscuits I call them

'Contains maltitols'.

I only have one or two a day. Doesn't seem to make any
difference.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 20:49, Andrew wrote:
On 10/08/2020 20:25, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 19:38, Andrew wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 18:17, Andrew wrote:
You still can't beat a good cup of tea with semi-skimmed and
sit in front of a fan.

Andrew
and a digestive

In Sainburys yesterday I noticed that the sugar-free Siro
digestives that cost £1 for 400 grammes, had a mix of old
stock and 'new' stock. New stock says 'new recipe', but is
only 300 grammes. Still £1.

FFS that is a 25% price increase. I'll just buy the
own label dark choc digestives now, also 400 grammes and
same price.

go to the toilet fast biscuits I call them

'Contains maltitols'.

I only have one or two a day. Doesn't seem to make any
difference.

Sugar alcohols like maltitol are actually prescribed by doctors to help
people poop. They're called osmotic laxatives
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew expressed precisely :
I spent £4 on a lifesystems survival thermal blanket (90's) and have
recently 'found' it and stuck it to the inside of my south-
facing aluminium DG patio doors with some of that blue
maskingtape. Also a couple of large offcuts of 60mm 'celotex'
which means the downstairs has not gone above 27C so far.

On those days, I draw our vetical blinds in the sunny rooms to the S/W
of the house - they make a noticeable difference in preventing the sun
landing inside the house, so its much cooler. I also open the loft
hatch and window, to allow the heat to rise up and out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"RayL12" wrote in message
On 10/08/2020 10:47, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:15:14 +0100, Adrian Brentnall
wrote:

snip

Seems to work on the same principle as hanging a damp towel over a fan.
Lots of pages on the web (google "aircool review") - but most of the
reviews are the manufacturer's blurb regurgitated.

I guess it will give the effect of cooling, as it's blowing damp air
over you....

Yup, 'latent heat of vaporisation or somesuch.

When water goes from a liquid to vapour phase (in this case) it
requires energy and so it takes energy from it's surroundings and
hence cooling it (very slightly). ;-)

You get the same effect standing next to a fountain or by spraying a
very fine mist of water into the airflow of a fan when outside (and
you can buy fans that do that).

Cheers, T i m

Indeed, evaporation is a cooling action. In the hottest of deserts, the
sun on a porous clay pot can drive the water to extreme low temps.

Nope, only to the dew point.

Knurling the surface creates more faces and greater exposure.

When its very warm weather, I will dampen a towel and place it around my
shoulders or, when in bed, over the body. It's very effective. Which leads
to survival and NOT wearing wet clothes when exposed to the cold and near
a localised heat source.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:36:38 +0100, RayL12
wrote:

snip

Indeed, evaporation is a cooling action. In the hottest of deserts,
the sun on a porous clay pot can drive the water to extreme low temps.
Knurling the surface creates more faces and greater exposure.

When its very warm weather, I will dampen a towel and place it around my
shoulders

When camping I wrap a wet towel round my beer and put it in the shade.
;-)

An insulated box with ice in it works a lot better.

or, when in bed, over the body. It's very effective. Which
leads to survival and NOT wearing wet clothes when exposed to the cold
and near a localised heat source.

Ah, good point and one I'd never considered (not that I have been in
that position as such etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 07:03:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Marland addressing senile Rodent's tall stories:
"Do you really think people believe your stories you come up with to boost
your self esteem."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 06:48:53 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous

about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 07:03:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:
snip

When camping I wrap a wet towel round my beer and put it in the shade.
;-)

An insulated box with ice in it works a lot better.

Yeah, except I forgot to pack that on the bicycle when I left a few
days before ... along with the fridge and generator. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 August 2020 19:38:08 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:

In Sainburys yesterday I noticed that the sugar-free Siro
digestives that cost £1 for 400 grammes, had a mix of old
stock and 'new' stock. New stock says 'new recipe', but is
only 300 grammes. Still £1.

FFS that is a 25% price increase. I'll just buy the
own label dark choc digestives now, also 400 grammes and
same price.

I'm expecting a much bigger food price hike than that. Covid has resulted in quite a lot of food losses, and 1 billion people in China now have no food to harvest, so will be buying everyone else's. It won't be good.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/8/20 5:15 pm, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
On 10/08/2020 07:50, tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

How can it possibly have (as is claimed) the same cooling capacity as
aircons 8 times the price?

Presumably, it doesn't, I'm guessing all it does is cool a tiny
fraction of the volume of the more expensive ones?

any comments?

Seems to work on the same principle as hanging a damp towel over a fan.
Lots of pages on the web (google "aircool review") - but most of the
reviews are the manufacturer's blurb regurgitated.

I guess it will give the effect of cooling, as it's blowing damp air
over you....

As you say, if it seems too good to be true....

It is just an evaporative cooler,nothing new, have been around for
centuries, coolgardie safes were an early type.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolgardie_safe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 20:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :
might give it a try there are some very cheap ones on ebait .....

Try it for free - a wet towell with a fan blowing across it. More
effective and a no cost.

I would only really want it if it took dust out of the air....house is
quite cool which is more than can be said of the tin box caravan....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 09:47, T i m wrote
On 10/08/2020 08:07, Chris Green wrote:

Evaporative cooler, they do work but only work well in dry air. We
used to have them in our house in Riyadh (Saudi Arabia) back in the
1970s. Riyadh was much smaller then and the humidity was low, the
'desert coolers' worked well and made for very pleasant feel to the
rooms indoors. They were much quieter than Air Conditioning and, of
course, cost *much* less to run.

When water goes from a liquid to vapour phase (in this case) it
requires energy and so it takes energy from it's surroundings and
hence cooling it (very slightly). ;-)

T i m said elsewhere that "If we don't try to help people by pointing
out the error of their ways they will start to think it's acceptable and
post even more junk....", so in that spirit:

Water has a Latent Heat of Evaporation of 2458 kJ/kg

Let's say the wet towel in a PP's posting holds 100g of water.

This will require 246 kJ to evaporate.

Air has a Cv of 0.7171 kJ/kgK (specific heat at constant volume)

For a 10K temperature drop that will require 7.17 kJ/kg.

But we need 246kJ, which will require 246/7.17 = 34kg of air

Air has a density of 1.2 kg/m^3

34kg of air ~=28m^3.

So, in theory a wet towel holding 100g of water and fed with air from a
fan can drop the temperature of a room of 2m x 3m x 4.75m by 10 degrees K.

In practice heat flow and any air flow into the room, will reduce this
figure, but the calculation shows the potential of evaporative cooling.

I'll leave T i m to work out if there's a deliberate mistake in the
above - after all, he's right-brained and can see the bigger picture...

No vegetables have been harmed in the production of this message.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 21:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Andrew expressed precisely :
I spent £4 on a lifesystems survival thermal blanket (90's) and have
recently 'found' it and stuck it to the inside of my south-
facing aluminium DG patio doors with some of that blue
maskingtape. Also a couple of large offcuts of 60mm 'celotex'
which means the downstairs has not gone above 27C so far.

On those days, I draw our vetical blinds in the sunny rooms to the S/W
of the house - they make a noticeable difference in preventing the sun
landing inside the house, so its much cooler. I also open the loft hatch
and window, to allow the heat to rise up and out.

I find that opening the loft hatch during the day, where it is about
45C during the day results in really hot air being blown down into
the house if there is any outside air movement. I open the loft hatch
at about 7PM and leave it open all night so that the hot air
upstairs can make its way into the loft and out of the ridge vent,
drawing in cooler air on the gound floor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 08:36:48 +0000, Spike
wrote:

[...]

Excellent, 10/10!

I'll leave T i m to work out if there's a deliberate mistake in the
above - after all, he's right-brained and can see the bigger picture...

Ironically, all you have done there Spikey my boy is demonstrate your
continuing lack of comprehension of the whole brain lateralisation
thing, even at it's most stereotypical level (oh, and your desperation
to engage me in conversation).

See, a right brainer would be willing to investigate the options and
put some into practice, likely in the order of the best chance of it
working for the least / cost / effort, they would leave the maths to
those like you.

No vegetables have been harmed in the production of this message.

Only if it gave you a headache or erection doing it. [1]

Cheers, T i m

[1] Lets's assume for a second you aren't actually completely stupid
and do eat a balanced diet that should include plenty of fruit and
vegetables, you are likely to already being more a vegetarian than you
are meat eater? Hypocrisy much?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

snip

Seems to work on the same principle as hanging a damp towel over a fan.
Lots of pages on the web (google "aircool review") - but most of the
reviews are the manufacturer's blurb regurgitated.

I guess it will give the effect of cooling, as it's blowing damp air
over you....

Yup, 'latent heat of vaporisation or somesuch.

When water goes from a liquid to vapour phase (in this case) it
requires energy and so it takes energy from it's surroundings and
hence cooling it (very slightly). ;-)

You get the same effect standing next to a fountain or by spraying a
very fine mist of water into the airflow of a fan when outside (and
you can buy fans that do that).

Where's our antipodean friend? Do they still have water bags to tie
on to roo bars? Relatively effective certainly in the NW of WA. This
sort of thing:

https://www.aussiedisposals.com.au/5lt-water-bag

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25 quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn the ****
light off'...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 07:03:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:
snip

When camping I wrap a wet towel round my beer and put it in the shade.
;-)

An insulated box with ice in it works a lot better.

Yeah, except I forgot to pack that on the bicycle when I left a few
days before ... along with the fridge and generator. ;-)

You buy the ice, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 13:55:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

That was too easy.

Next time you make a dismissive, throwaway remark, do your sums first.
If you can...

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

What was?

Next time you make a dismissive, throwaway remark, do your sums first.
If you can...

WTF are you on about now you trolling weirdo (not that I really care
but it's like watching a robot trying to deal with the natural world).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25 quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn the ****
light off'...)

Oh well at least the mood light doesn't seem to be changing on this
one....very poorly made piece of junk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25 quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn the ****
light off'...)

just back from argos with one...I will buy any old tat ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2020 12:37, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25 quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn
the ****
light off'...)

Oh well at least the mood light doesn't seem to be changing on this
one....very poorly made piece of junk

I tell a lie...I tell a lie it is multi coloured....just couldn't see it
in the sun.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2020 12:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25 quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn
the ****
light off'...)

just back from argos with one...I will buy any old tat ......

Thieving *******s the box says "USB cable and adaptor included"....no
adaptor in the box.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 13:35:12 +0100, T i m wrote:

Yes had one on Perth, WA. It was ok but would have been a waste

of
space in Papua New Guinea (coastal) where the good old fashioned

big
ceiling fan was quite effective.

That's what we have here in the lounge and one in our bedroom and
don't know how we would survive without them

Yep, ceiling fans really do make indoors far more comfortable. I
doesn't take much gentle air movement for your sweat to do what it's
supposed to do.

No sure that brit houses with 8' ceilings are really high enough
though, 9 or 10' would be better. I can touch an 8' ceiling...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25
quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn
the ****
light off'...)

just back from argos with one...I will buy any old tat ......

Thieving *******s the box says "USB cable and adaptor included"....no
adaptor in the box.....

lets see if argos live chat is any good ...only been waiting half an hour
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25
quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn
the ****
light off'...)

just back from argos with one...I will buy any old tat ......

Thieving *******s the box says "USB cable and adaptor included"....no
adaptor in the box.....

lets see if argos live chat is any good ...only been waiting half an hour

gave up...the instructions says adaptor not included anyway.....duped again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 12:57:02 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

snip

Yep, ceiling fans really do make indoors far more comfortable. I
doesn't take much gentle air movement for your sweat to do what it's
supposed to do.

No, quite. ;-)

No sure that brit houses with 8' ceilings are really high enough
though, 9 or 10' would be better. I can touch an 8' ceiling...

8' 6" here in the lounge (possibly lower upstairs) so getting there
.... ;-)

I have a wall mounted 12" wall mounted fan in the kitchen (again, just
to move air) on a clock plug thing and keyhole mounts so I can take it
down easily for cleaning.

The plastic fan blades went brittle and broke (when cleaning) over
time so I found an ally fan blade on eBay and fitted that (turned up
an adaptor hub). It works in that it spins but there is too much
'blade' to get any sort of real airflow.

I did think of trying to cut the blade(s) cord down to reduce the
surface area (and so let the revs come back up) but I'm not going to
do that in this weather!

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

https://airfreez.cc/cool/en/

This page doesn't say, but it's 60 quid

What's wrong with it is the identical model is sold at Argos for 25
quid:
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8212924

I like the 500 litre tank - in only a 17.5cm cube too

Theo
(A colour changing mood light would rapidly turn my mood into 'turn
the ****
light off'...)

just back from argos with one...I will buy any old tat ......
Thieving *******s the box says "USB cable and adaptor included"....no
adaptor in the box.....

lets see if argos live chat is any good ...only been waiting half an hour

gave up...the instructions says adaptor not included anyway.....duped again

never mind lovely and cooling ahhhhhhhh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 21:58, Theo wrote:
tim... wrote:
[...]

and a HUGE 500 litre tank....does look a bit small though,,,,but it
lights up in seven colours