Old August 1st 20, 01:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 09:04:17 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I have been happy with a couple of Moto G5's but have just gone over to
a Huawei P smart 2019 which is OK. Personally I like the cases with a
front that flips over the screen, but the fat rubbery ones with chunky
corners seem to work OK too. Probably worth adding an extra glass screen
protector. It looks as though the Huawei comes with one.

Long been happy with Moto - Wife and sister have Moto G4, I have Moto
G6+, all dual sim. Memory can be added as system memory not just
storage.

Full cases are great and with the right one the phone can be made to
prop up in landscape mode, handy for video chats or watching YouTube.

All were reasonably priced though I had to get the G6+ from Czeck Rep.
Stupidly either the G6+ single sim only or the G6 dual sim were the
only ones available in the UK.

--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?

Old August 1st 20, 03:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
These days that will limit you choice. The batteries in the Nokia 6.1,
my Xiaomi and many of the Moto G... phones are not easy to change. You
would need special tools and a youtube video to show you what to do to
change the battery.

There is easy and there is easy. While phones might not have removable
batteries any more (ie tool-less batteries you can swap every day), some
have serviceable batteries - undo a few screws, back pops off, unplug
battery cable, plug in new one. You might need a small Torx screwdriver but
that's it. Then there are the phones that are full of glue and you first
need to heat gun off the screen

It's worth looking at iFixit for their repairability ratings as they tell
you how easy it is to do this sort of thing.

With the previous mobile phones I have had, the battery has to be
removed to change the SIM.

Most phones nowadays have the SIM on a tray that slides into the side. The
battery removal is just an ancient design pattern of 'phone must be powered
down when SIM is changed' which they enforce mechanically by putting the SIM
underneath the battery. They didn't notice you can leave the phone on
charger while removing the battery.

Theo
Old August 1st 20, 07:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Samsung M31 available only on Amazon looks good - I've just ordered one. £245 might be more than you want to pay
Old August 1st 20, 09:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 19:14, Fredxx wrote:
All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of
case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it
repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.

All smart hones maybe. My Samsung feature phone is over 10 years old,
and I reckon I drop it most months.

Andy
Old August 1st 20, 10:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Whichever you go for I've found the "otter-box" case is excellent.
It doesn't have a screen protector well, not on my Galaxy S8 but it's
had a few bounces on concrete and because the rubber case sits proud of
the top and bottom edges of the phone by at least 3 to 4mm it's managed
to survive without any damage so far.

Old August 1st 20, 10:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Murmansk writes
Samsung M31 available only on Amazon looks good - I've just ordered
one. 245 might be more than you want to pay

Indeed:-)

The whole purpose of changing contract was because Vodafone, by various
subterfuges, have crept my monthly payment from 8.00 to around 13.50.
(the not previously mentioned 1.50 discount ending in... etc.)

They stuffed the offer with an extra 3Gb of data when I would happily
have settled for the reduction to 7.00/ month. (2 years only:-(

My needs beyond text and phone are relatively simple.

4g for coverage and security.

camera with PC connection provision

Micro SIM because I've got one.

What 3 words location app.

Maps/navigation useful although my wife carries an i-phone if she
remembers!

My biggest concern is that modern life is becoming reliant on possession
of a working mobile, public transport, bank security etc...

--
Tim Lamb
Old August 2nd 20, 07:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/08/2020 22:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Micro SIM because I've got one.

Vodaphone will give you a replacement SIM if your new phone needs a
different size.

--
Robin
Old August 2nd 20, 10:12 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Robin
writes
On 01/08/2020 22:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Micro SIM because I've got one.

Vodaphone will give you a replacement SIM if your new phone needs a
different size.

Yes. They have just supplied a triple. Most modern stuff seems to
require Nano SIM.

Somebody will be along shortly to explain how to use a pair of
scissors:-)

--
Tim Lamb
Old August 2nd 20, 10:20 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Whichever you go for I've found the "otter-box" case is excellent.
It doesn't have a screen protector well, not on my Galaxy S8 but it's
had a few bounces on concrete and because the rubber case sits proud of
the top and bottom edges of the phone by at least 3 to 4mm it's managed
to survive without any damage so far.

OK.
I'm pausing to re-group. Somewhere along the way, Vodafone managed to
stick an unexplained charge of 148.00 on my account.
Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently fulsome in praising the call centre staff
on the follow up questionaire!

Said to have been sorted but, with direct debit payment, I am watching
my bank account carefully.

--
Tim Lamb
Old August 2nd 20, 09:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/08/2020 07:08, Robin wrote:
On 01/08/2020 22:45, Tim Lamb wrote:
snip

Micro SIM because I've got one.

Vodaphone will give you a replacement SIM if your new phone needs a
different size.

Or even give it to someone who wants to steal your identity !