Old July 30th 20, 06:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile phone

Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.
--
Tim Lamb

Old July 30th 20, 07:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 18:57:19, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Huawei - if you don't want a rooted phone
Xiaomi - if you do

All phones are sensitive to being dropped but having a wallet type of
case improves the chances hugely. I cracked a screen once and had it
repaired under warranty because there were no marks on the case.

mail?

Old July 30th 20, 07:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 30 July 2020 18:57:37 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

I'll suggest Here We Go (free) for navigation. Not perfect (not that any are) but pretty good. I use a 7 inch Samsung tablet with a very low data allowance which costs next to nothing. Not ideal as a phone but you can use it for calls and SMS, if you wish.

(I think it might be Samsung Galaxy TAB 4 7.0 SM-T235N WI-FI+4G 8GB but not certain.)

I can leave it on for days without having to charge it - mostly connected to wifi and checking mail from time to time, updates, etc. I don't need to charge it at all on the sort of journeys I make - that is, a few hours.
Old July 30th 20, 07:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old July 30th 20, 08:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 18:57:19 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price

Define... I'm quite pleased with my Nokia 6.1 that costs around 150.

Navigation

The app you use is up to you but I guess this means it must have GPS.

Robust

The Nokia 6.1's body is machined from a solid lump of aluminium.

good battery life

The 6.1 will do several days on standby in a good signal area. At
home, poor signal, a couple of days.

mail

The app you use is up to you.

Preferably something that can withstand being dropped.

As has been said a case ups the abilty of a phone surviving being
dropped and also decreases the chances of it being dropped in the
first place. I find naked phones to be slippery little blighters.

The Nokia 6.1 is also an Android One device so doesn't come with a
load of bloatware.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old July 30th 20, 08:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 19:59, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Moto G[1] and stick it in a impact resistant case...

Mine is one of the older models with Gorilla glass and has survived a 6'
drop onto concrete with only minor spalling of the front surface.

[1] Lots of phone for the money, and a stock android experience.

It isn't quite stock Android but the battery life is very good.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old July 30th 20, 08:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.

- Around the £150-160 for the top of the range model
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade
- It does everything a £400-£1000 phone does, just doesn't look as fancy
(a little heavier/bigger)
- Very good camera
- Fast
- Battery is very good
- Support Fast Charge (at least twice as fast to charge)
- Takes SD card, so if memory an issue you buy a 64GB card for £15 and
put it in (supports up to 256 GB I believe)
- Splash-proof
- 2 year warranty
- Plenty of cases/screen protectors/etc on eBay for pennies
- Dual SIM (if you buy the right model)
- Navigation is through software (every phone nowadays has the GPS
hardware). Use Maps, Waze, or one of the many other free apps (Nokia do
a pretty decent offline one).
- Mail is also software (app). It comes with a free one that is very
good. Otherwise there are plenty free ones to choose from

For protection: buy a rubber/silicon case that covers everything but the
screen. Hardly noticeable and VERY robust. You can safely drop it from
your pocket to the ground. For the screen buy a glass screen protector.
They suggest that you could hit it with a hammer without causing damage
to the screen. Never tried that, but from experience it will protect
your screen from pretty much EVERYTHING. It is really good.
Both case and protestor are no more than a few pounds each on ebay and
will last you the lifetime of the phone (buy a pack of 2 screen
protectors, just in case).

We tend to upgrade them every 2 years or so and sell the old ones on
ebay for around 40-50% of the original price

Look for deals on the MOtorola website, Amazon, or just a Google search.

To choose the model use gsmarena.com
Old July 30th 20, 09:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe wrote:

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade

Moto were only owned by google briefly (mainly so google acquired their
patents, and maybe some of their best engineers) sold to Lenovo under 2
years later.
Old July 30th 20, 09:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 30/07/2020 20:35, JoeJoe wrote:
On 30/07/2020 18:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Probably done before but can the knowledgeable suggest something
suitable for the following spec:-

Modest price
Navigation
Robust
good battery life
mail

I have just side-graded to a 2 year monthly contract with 4Gb data but
have no interest in video chats etc. Preferably something that can
withstand being dropped.

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.

- Around the £150-160 for the top of the range model
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade

Motorola are owned by Lenovo not Google.

They are good enough, I have one, cost me £65 in Tesco two years ago.

[...]

(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.
Old July 30th 20, 09:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/07/2020 21:02, Andy Burns wrote:
JoeJoe wrote:

Our children have always had the Motorola Moto phones - for years.
- Owned by Google, so first to receive every new Android upgrade

Moto were only owned by google briefly (mainly so google acquired their
patents, and maybe some of their best engineers) sold to Lenovo under 2
years later.

You are correct, of course.